• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Got scammed!

Cinch

Team GFY
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2008
Wyoming
So the other night, I get home from work to find a message from the bank on the message machine regarding "suspicious charges" on my credit card. I called the number on the back of the card and talked to their fraud department. They asked me about several charges and a money transfer that I knew nothing about. Apparently someone named "Ali Baba" was on a spending spree with my card. The bank had already frozen my account and took care of all the charges. I guess these people that get your number make a very small charge on your card to test it out. Then they wait till a weekend and go hog wild. Your online bank statements are usually a few days behind over a weekend and this gives them a chance to rack up some charges before it is caught. This is exactly what happened to me. There was an online charge for 28 cents made to my card on Wednesday. The wife saw the charge, but paid no attention to a pity 28 cent charge. Then Friday evening and Saturday there were half a dozen $400-$600 charges and a money transfer. The bank caught it sometime Saturday and froze my account. I'm sure glad they were on the ball! The worst thing is not knowing how they got my number. I guess any time your card is swiped or number is entered, you are at risk. Could be from an internet purchase, using it at a store, a resaurant, who knows... Anyhow, I always thought I was pretty protective of my card. I think this stuff is getting more and more common. I would encourage everyone to pay close attention to their accounts! I got lucky this time!

Re: Got scammed!

You can be as protective as you want, but when the credit card information is stolen from the host, there isn't much the consumer can do about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess any time your card is swiped or number is entered, you are at risk. Could be from an internet purchase, using it at a store, a resaurant, who knows... </div></div>

Mine got compromised a couple of years ago when one of the major shooting supply places got their system hacked. My card company shut it down quick, and the couple of hundred bucks in charges was covered.

Parasites. Same thing happened to my buddy. His daughter, going to school in another city, called from Merchants Tire and Auto saying her car had failed inspection and she need tires could he help. He gave them his card # and she got the tires. In a couple of daysthe bank called with the same line...fortunately he gotout of it like ou did. He let it go...had it been me I would have had the copson it in a hurry.

those of youin the mid Atlantic area look out for Merchants, they are well known for being crooked.

You weren't scammed. You just had your CC info jacked.
Happened to me last summer. They were taking their time about it because I saw three itunes purchases on my bill over three weeks and called about it. They killed the card and issued me a new one. Credit card company was happy it was only three charges for under $5. They said it looked to be typical feeler charges and was glad I caught it before they went on a wild weekend spending spree like yours.
You'll get a new card issued, and a piece of paper to sign in regards to the bogus charges. Other than that, it really isn't a big deal. I was actually glad to get a new card issued. It made me get notices from all kinds of places that my card on file was no good. Most of them had no reason to have a card on file in the first place.

Something very similar happend to me. I got a call from the card company asking if I had bought any airline tickets to Mexico. I said no and they said someone had tried. We went over my statement and a couple of small puchases for $5 and $10 had been placed and then WHAM, $1500 in plane tickets to Mexico. The card company did the same thing as far as covering and freezing the card.
The company is now trying to backtrack and find out exactly who did it and prosecute them. I'm just glad they were on the ball.

I'm just very happy they caught this and put an end to it! It would be interesting to know if they ever catch the douche, but I'm sure I'll never know.

I heard some financial guy recommend that you get a new card number at least every year. Not a new account, just a new number on the same account.
Has anybody ever tried that?

It happens. Credit card fraud in 2008 topped $48 billion.

Watch the charges on your cards - I download them into Quicken frequently. If you see a charge you don't recognize, immediately call the issuing institution.

Another precaution: I never let a card out of my sight. That prevents an employee of a restaurant or other facility from copying the number and information on the card to use themselves or sell.

But don't be overly concerned about it. If you report a fraudulent charge in a timely fashion, you're not going to be held responsible for the charge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Credit and debit card fraud is the No. 1 fear of Americans in the midst of the global financial crisis. Concern about fraud supersedes that of terrorism, computer and health viruses and personal safety. (Source: Unisys Security Index: United States, March 2009)</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fw707</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard some financial guy recommend that you get a new card number at least every year. Not a new account, just a new number on the same account.
Has anybody ever tried that?</div></div>

Never thought of this. Might not be a bad idea.

Restaurants are the worst and anywhere else where someone takes your card out of your sight. Slide it through a card reader and they have everything they need.

I manage a card program at work. The most important advise I can give is to check you account, especially the monthly statement each and every month. Question any charge you don't recognize.

Good luck

Jerry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GcH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Happened to me last summer. They were taking their time about it because I saw three itunes purchases on my bill over three weeks and called about it. </div></div>

This just happened to me last night. Some asshat purchased an iPod app on my account at ITunes for 3 bucks. Luckily they have no cc on file for me for that account (and incorrect billing information/address) so they corrected the error. Makes me wonder about iTunes store tho.

That sucks man. I switched to using cash as much as possible last year because of this type of situation. Also i have a very low limit on my card (like $200) so if they do get it, they can't get much if it's not caught fast.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Restaurants are the worst and anywhere else where someone takes your card out of your sight. Slide it through a card reader and they have everything they need.

I manage a card program at work. The most important advise I can give is to check you account, especially the monthly statement each and every month. Question any charge you don't recognize.

Good luck

Jerry </div></div>

Because of a special program I get really good rates at Hilton properties. I was at the Beverly Hilton and had supper at the restruant. When I got my statement it had two charges on it. Mine and one I didnt reconize. the hotel made it good, but Im glad to get the lowdown on the resturant thing....got to admit you dont have to be a rocket scientist to wait tables...nor ethical, and no doubt minimal backgound checks.

A young fella up the road worked as a waiter and got some credit card #s so he and his buddies had a great time until the law knocked on the door. That was 3 yrs ago and he is still paying back for the good times they had plus he now has a record.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fw707</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard some financial guy recommend that you get a new card number at least every year. Not a new account, just a new number on the same account.
Has anybody ever tried that? </div></div>

I'll be doing this every other year from now on. Like I said, a real eye opener when you get emails from a company you never heard of before who says your credit card is no longer good and it takes you a couple days of digging through your memory to remember what you ever bought from them in the first place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It happens. Credit card fraud in 2008 topped $48 billion.

</div></div>

Anyone else suddenly feel as though they are in the wrong industry???

Good news from my bank

I purchased two tickets to Puerto Rico the other day from an on-line source. Less than five minutes after I completed the purchase, my bank called and asked about an $11.63 charge for airline taxes (parts of the taxes, surcharges and tickets are seperate charges).

I was very happy to hear that they were on the ball with this, and informed the CS rep that I had indeed made the charges.

Funny thing; I have bought tickets through this source five other times and they still looked after me.

Re: Good news from my bank

Happened to me about two years ago and I am super-careful regarding CC/ID-theft sh#t!! Thankfully, my bank was onto it immediately and it all got cleared up pretty quickly. Lots of scumbags in this world.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It happens. Credit card fraud in 2008 topped $48 billion.

</div></div>

Anyone else suddenly feel as though they are in the wrong industry???

</div></div>

Wifey works for a credit union, most of the time they don't even try to go after the thieves. And for some reason, she sees a LOT of this type of fraud coming from Canada.

Its not just the credit cards! Last week I had my cell phone account hacked. Over $200 in calls to CUBA! And they tried to get $$ from the warranty program--hopefully that is their downfall and they get caught, the company at least has some tracking info on em. Wife and I spent several hours with the fraud dept getting that mess straight. So watch your cell too, and don't ignore texts from your carrier. That's how we first noticed the problem.

Same thing happened to me. They did a $10 "feeler" purchase and then went and bought something for $400. Wells Fargo caught it before I did, and called me to asked about my purchases. It was all sorted out and my money that these crooks spent was refunded.

I purchased some Skype time on my Navy Fed the other day for like $14 and then turned around and used it for my Brownells order. They locked that bad boy down on the brownells order. I had a message on my voice mails about it. I guess its good they do that but being over the pond like I am its a bit of an inconvenience.

Our main account is monitored very well then the second account which I usually do my toy buying with is just put in as needed. I guess we should watch it a bit more but there is usually only enough cash in there to buy the new toy I want and no overdraft so its a SOL kinda issue with that one.

The same thing happened to me three times last year.....to say it's frustrating is an understatement!

The first time it was my debit card that some little bastard in Japan had gotten a hold of. I think it was from an online purchase. The next time was my discover card, also from an online purchase by someone back on the east coast. The last time was also my discover card, stolen from a gas pump. Each issue was resolved, but it took a while for my bank to refund my debit card fraud. Both times Discover took care of it immediately without any questions. I asked Discover if they could give me the information of the thief both times, but said they couldn't.

There seems to be more personal risk involved with the debit cards. Now I only use my Discover card or cash; way too much fraud out there to take a risk. Also, going to a new card number at least every year.

Thats not a scam.

I had my card used for a few small charges and then a server order. The company that sells the server called me but i was in the air at the time. By the time I landed and had my cell phone back on both the credit union and server company had left voice messages.

No foul to me, possible felony for the jacker. I felt happy everyone was checking the 700+ purchase and then going back to where the fraud started and clearing the account.

Someone blew through $1200 at Macy's with one of my credit cards 10+ years ago. I was not responsible for a dime. If you use plastic this will happen to you eventually.

I'm a little nervous to buy anything with my new card now. I guess I shouldn't be. The bank did an outstanding job of taking care of the whole deal...

unfortunately a guy is stuck using plastic. We went to a hotel a while back and they wouldn't accept "CASH".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scottieb042674</div><div class="ubbcode-body">unfortunately a guy is stuck using plastic. We went to a hotel a while back and they wouldn't accept "CASH". </div></div>

They have to take it in USA, printed right on the bills.

Had a similiar thing happen to me last year. $1000 in fraud charges from different states. Bank took care of me - I think most of them will. For the hotels, you should be able to pay with cash but they'll require a card to be on file in case you bail or trash the room.

Happened to me too, someone charged small amounts from the UK, glad the bank caught it in time.

Had a buddy get burned with a cell phone scam. He got an automated phone call that said to press "##" for verification. He did then, the call ended. The next day he had over $3000 in long distance phone calls to world wide destinations. He called the phone company about it and the authorities. They said he was screwed because he unknowingly gave authorization by pressing "##" and he was stuck with the bill. So you have to always be careful. Any time I get an email or phone call about anything that deals with PII(personally identifying information) I will ask for the callers info and end the call. I will then call the institution back with a phone number I know is legit and verify. Cant be too careful now a days.