• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Got the Funds, Now to Get the Rifle

Flatbush Harry

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2011
Colorado
Between the sale of a little used SOCOM16 and today's sale of a couple of long-unused musical instruments, I've converted $3,300 worth of stuff into usable funds for the next rifle.

I've been contemplating:

. a Tikka T3 Sporter in 6.5x55 or .260 Rem
. a FNH SPR A5M in .308
. a Sako TRG-22 in .308
. a full-on custom w/ a couple of our vendors as candidates, possibly going to .260 Rem

along with appropriate glass. I'm still reading, using our search function and thinking about the rifles it will join. Stay tuned for thoughts and potential questions.

It does feel good to score the dough, though.

Cheers,

FH

Re: Got the Funds, Now to Get the Rifle

All of the listed rifles are definatly a good option, especially the last two. If it were my money I would figure out your intended usage and go from there. Tons of information and awesome people around here to help too

I would pic up the SnipersHide build in the Forsale section.

Short and light 6.5 Creedmore

Since you said along with appropriate glass, I'd probably get a R700 5R, a trigger job, barrel threaded with muzzle brake or suppressor (if legal in your area) and some really nice optics which should easily take you right up to about $3K with enough left over for a supply of FGMM ammo. But that's just me. I've learned with my SPS Tactical AAC-SD that a $600 rifle has turned into a $1700 setup with with just mid-level upgrades and optics.

what are you shooting now? Do you already have good optics to use? if you do i would personally pick up a aic or sako.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3300 for rifle and glass? </div></div>sorry,i have no idea.
g.gif

Guys, thanks for the replies.

First, the $3,300 is the dough I got from stuff I don't use...I'd say the budget for the rifle is $3,500.

As to glass, I've got a nice Leupy VX3 3.5-10x40 that I use on my M1A when I want optics that I can use for a while before finalizing my glass choice for the new rifle. As to that one, I'm thinking Leupy Mk 4, Vortex Razor, NightForce. I'm thinking a budget of roughly $2,000 for the glass is about right.

My intent is to extend my shooting out to 1,000 yds...my limit to date has been 600 which I've shot with my M1A and my restocked and bedded Rem 700 SPS-V in .308 Win. Being a bit of an old codger (66), I'm not sure whether I'll confine myself to F class as practical shooting courses can be a bit challenging (PS-thanks to all you young guys for helping with my medical bills). I have been hand loading for 35 years so, at the very least, once I get set up, I'll be looking to load development for some fun. It's coming up on a nice time of year to dust off the chronograph and get to work.

Cheers, and thanks,

FH

I vote for the Sako TRG-22. You might still be able to get one in .260 Rem from Euro Optics.

I had read in one thread here that they were out of the .260s but it's worth checking. I have handled the 20" in .308...wonderful rifles.

Thanks,

FH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimster716</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since you said along with appropriate glass, I'd probably get a R700 5R, a trigger job, barrel threaded with muzzle brake or suppressor (if legal in your area) and some really nice optics which should easily take you right up to about $3K with enough left over for a supply of FGMM ammo. But that's just me. I've learned with my SPS Tactical AAC-SD that a $600 rifle has turned into a $1700 setup with with just mid-level upgrades and optics. </div></div>

+1 to this. If you just want to shoot 168 FGMM I would buy a sps varmint (12 twist) and a decent stock from the forums here, then send if off to have cut to 24 inches and threaded. You would have money left to have them true the action, bed it and other options you see fit. Add a timney 510 and a case of ammo.
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flatbush Harry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Between the sale of a little used SOCOM16 and today's sale of a couple of long-unused musical instruments, I've converted $3,300 worth of stuff into usable funds for the next rifle.

I've been contemplating:

. a Tikka T3 Sporter in 6.5x55 or .260 Rem
. a FNH SPR A5M in .308
. a Sako TRG-22 in .308
. a full-on custom w/ a couple of our vendors as candidates, possibly going to .260 Rem

along with appropriate glass. I'm still reading, using our search function and thinking about the rifles it will join. Stay tuned for thoughts and potential questions.

It does feel good to score the dough, though.

Cheers,

FH </div></div>I would go with the Tikka T3 in .260 Remington myself. I like the .260, no special reason why I guess, just feel as though its a great round and the Tikka is a good rifle. JMHO.
grin.gif

Actually, I've got a Rem 700 SPS-V in .308 Win, 26" barrel that I put in a B&C A5 stock and had it glass bedded. I'm using a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 scope in Leupy STD rings and bases now that I had on another Rem 700. Once I get a feel for what I want to do, further mods will be done. At the very least, I re-barrel in a few thousand rounds and get it trued when I rebarrel. Right now it's a 0.75-1 MOA shooter out 600 yards...nothing great but fun. I use 168gr SMKs out to 300 yes, and 175 SMKs and 178 Hornady A-MAXs for farther. I may try a box of 190 gr SMKs for S&G.

FH

buy the sako trg you will not regret it or have any problems

it is a solid rifle based on a solid platform with no functional upgrades needed

if you can get one in 260 fine if not several barrel makers will make you whatever caliber you want

or get one in 300wm.... easily get you to 1000 and alot more
since you reload you can shoot whatever you want to... and they are cheaper too... for fclass id probably put a 284 barrel on it

also the t3 sporter in 6.5x55 looks really good too
great round and brass available...nice price as well
this may be better if you really want to shoot fclass
get behind both of them if possible

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DamnYuppie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I vote for the Sako TRG-22. You might still be able to get one in .260 Rem from Euro Optics. </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bkster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">buy the sako trg you will not regret it or have any problems

it is a solid rifle based on a solid platform with no functional upgrades needed

</div></div>

This is so true. I have changed something on my Rem700 5R every other month for the last two years. I have that gun "just right" now. My TRG was "just right" the second I took it out of the box. The only thing I've done to it is put an optic on it.

Buy Rem 5R 308 $1000
Rifle Basix Trigger:$155
Bed it yourself $50
Nightforce F1: $2200

If you reload, you can get .4 MOA out of MOST of the 5R's.

If you don't reload yet, then I change the Nightforce for Viper PST and buy a mid-to-high end reloading setup. You will not be able to the the full potential out of any rifle until you start building your own rounds.

I really like the TRG, but I found it cumbersome for any position other than prone. F/TR, Tactical comp, offhand, sitting, hunting.. All these considered I like the Remmy. YMMV

I'd drop 2,000 on a vortex and then take the other 1500 and take a class or two. The rifle you sounds like a shooter..... Unless you just want a new rifle them the gap 10 in 6CM looks like a winner

For 1,000$ or so you could have your current gun rebar felled and trued up

If you can increase what you want to spend on your rifle by about $500, you could step into an DTA SRS. The SRS would give you the ability to use additional calibers in the future without needing to purchase an entire new rifle and scope.

I run a .260 Rem and .338 LM in mine. The SRS has eliminated a few of my rifles and may also get rid of my varmint rifle, if I get a 22-250 barrel.

Rebarrel your 308 in a 260 and true the action. Get a vortex razor, dbm and all the fancy stuff and it will be cheaper and you will still get the new rifle feeling. Personally that's what I plan on doing to mine after a while

Trying to get a 260 TRG 22 myself , have a 308 now, go TRG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: midkansasguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rebarrel your 308 in a 260 and true the action. Get a vortex razor, dbm and all the fancy stuff and it will be cheaper and you will still get the new rifle feeling. Personally that's what I plan on doing to mine after a while </div></div>

^^^^Do that, and put it in a KRG Whiskey 3, then you have TRG ergo's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flatbush Harry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd say the budget for the rifle is $3,500.
I'm thinking a budget of roughly $2,000 for the glass is about right.</div></div>
Instead of rifle vs scope budget, I look at the total 'weapon system' budget. Is $5,500 what you are 'ready and willing' to spend, or is $5,500 your ceiling budget where a penny saved is a penny earned?

Reason for 'system' approach is some folk end up spending more on optics, and forgot to budget for accessories. For accessories, expect to spend anywhere from $300 to upward of $1000--<span style="font-style: italic">especially</span> for the TRG.

If you standby with money (ready to commit) and shop patiently, $5,500 will buy you nearly any system you want. FWIW that budget is more than I spent on a TRG-22, S&B 4-16 accessorized with Seekins rings, TRG bipod/brake, Near 25MOA rail, 1 extra mag.

Any specific stock contour, style or ergonomic you seem to prefer?

Thanks to all for your thoughtful replies. I am leaning toward the TRG 22. I handled both a TRG 42 and a FNH SPRA5M today...I preferred the TRG. I'll try again next week and see if anything's changed.

Thanks, and best wishes for a Happy Easter and Passover for all.

Cheers,

FH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hamstur</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flatbush Harry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd say the budget for the rifle is $3,500.
I'm thinking a budget of roughly $2,000 for the glass is about right.</div></div>
Instead of rifle vs scope budget, I look at the total 'weapon system' budget. Is $5,500 what you are 'ready and willing' to spend, or is $5,500 your ceiling budget where a penny saved is a penny earned?

Reason for 'system' approach is some folk end up spending more on optics, and forgot to budget for accessories. For accessories, expect to spend anywhere from $300 to upward of $1000--<span style="font-style: italic">especially</span> for the TRG.

If you standby with money (ready to commit) and shop patiently, $5,500 will buy you nearly any system you want. FWIW that budget is more than I spent on a TRG-22, S&B 4-16 accessorized with Seekins rings, TRG bipod/brake, Near 25MOA rail, 1 extra mag.

Any specific stock contour, style or ergonomic you seem to prefer? </div></div>

This makes a lot of sense. Thanks,

FH