• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Got the SPS today

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
I met the seller at my range and bought the Remington SPS Varmint .308 this morning. I was planning on trying to talk him down to $400.00 from his asking price of $450.00, but when I saw it already had bases and rings I just smiled and paid his price.
It has 2 piece Leupold bases and leupold rings- the post-type rings. I hope they are 1" so my leupold Vari-X III will fit. If it does then the only thing I will need to change soon is that crappy stock.
The stock just feels weird, but I will shoot it for a while to see if it grows on me. If not hopefully someone here will replace their PSS stock with something else and I can buy their old stock.
Pics later, but it looks new and just like every other pic of an SPS Varmint.

Jim

Re: Got the SPS today

Pepperbelly,

Glad to see you reconsidered that crazy talk about retiring from shooting
grin.gif

Tony, I'll have to think about that stock.
Queequeg I started missing that PSS as soon as I shipped it. I sure do like my new Kimber Warrior though. I figured out that after all the dust settled- trades, parts sold, etc. counting what I had in getting that PSS to start with, I have about $500.00 in the Warrior.

Jim

I have a SPS-V with the PSS stock and love it. The only thing I found wrong if you could say that is I had to use my dremel to make it fit the X-Mark trigger. It wasnt anything crazy and if I heard correctly the older ones are the only ones that need that done to them but dont quote me on it. Its not a McMillian or anyhthing but hell the gun is not a GAP either.

I saw another stock for sale that is about the same as the used PSS HS Precision stock. It's the B&C Medalist Tactical.

How does that stock compare to the PSS stock?

Jim

We are shooting three of the SPS's. A 204 and two 223. The 204 would shoot 1 1/4 MOA out of the box. The first 10 different handloads I fed it averaged 0.5 MOA.

The 223's would shoot about 1 1/2 MOA with various factory 55 grain FMJ's. Our handloads with the 40 and 50 grain VMAX and BT's are running in the 0.5 MOA.

No stock change though the triggers were fixed ASAP. That new trigger might be good on the advertising but it sure felt like rocks on my fingers.

Greg

Pepperbelly

Don't know about the Chote but I put the B&C on my SPS with some other mods and it is one nice shooting rifle. The stock is heavy but makes a great platform. Went out last Sunday doing more load testing 175g SMK 43 - 45g Varget 300yds 5 rounds 3/4" group makes me happy.

bshaw
GEDC0444.jpg

I felt the same way you did about the stock. I ended up buying a PDC stock and adding a Timney trigger. Sounds like you got a great deal.

I've got one with a pretty economical optics going on but it works for me.

Bushnell 3200 10x40
EGW 20 MOA base
Burris XTR 1" low rings

Done pretty well for me so far.

I really want to restock it with a McMillan HTG but I have no clue where to start. I've already started saving, and will probably pick one up from JWPrecision. Not really sure what to do once I get it though, straight drop in or marinetex

(sorry didn't mean to highjack your thread)

Point being, stock is trashy, needs to be replaced but I love the rifle and barrel combo.

Keep in mind I shoot off the ground now and don't care much for shooting off of a bench.

I just sent in my money the other day for my McM A5 that just got finished for my SPS Tactical. I also met a guy at the range yesterday that had an AICS 1.5 on his SPS Tac, and the feel of the rifle was great in my hands.

I sold my Hogue stock off less than two days after picking up my rifle, it was just not for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apache</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got one with a pretty economical optics going on but it works for me.

Bushnell 3200 10x40
EGW 20 MOA base
Burris XTR 1" low rings

Done pretty well for me so far.

I really want to restock it with a McMillan HTG but I have no clue where to start. I've already started saving, and will probably pick one up from JWPrecision. Not really sure what to do once I get it though, straight drop in or marinetex

(sorry didn't mean to highjack your thread)

Point being, stock is trashy, needs to be replaced but I love the rifle and barrel combo.

Keep in mind I shoot off the ground now and don't care much for shooting off of a bench. </div></div>

Great trigger discipline you have there, learn that at a D&D convention?
crazy.gif

I would offer to let you cop a feel of some of these stocks, but I just landed back in the sandbox.
Not an SPS Varmit, but you get the idea of what the B&C stocks look like
SPS tactical in a B&C tactical/varmit stock
DSC01667.JPG

SPS tactical in the stock that came off my XCR tactical,
DSCN06001.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Great trigger discipline you have there, learn that at a D&D convention?
crazy.gif

</div></div>

....hahahahaha....

Nice SPS man, I was tempted to buy one and do a B&C but went with a savage instead.

Poke,
How are you liking your XCR? I just got one and it's my first rifle ever, so I am a total noob to the F-Class game. What can I expect out of this rifle? Thanks for any help you can provide.
DaG

I love it, wrote up a post a few pages in on the rifles section the other day. Great accuracy, I had to come back here(sandbox) and purchased it late so didnt have time to do any load work, I did a 3 shot group right out of the box which was a little over 5/8" then did a shot clean 10x, I managed to get 50 rounds through it before leaving and nothing over 3/4" but nothing better than 1/2" 5 shot groups, this was with loads worked for my kimber, but they shoot great in the SPS and fair in the XCR next time I go home I will have time hopefully to work a load up for it.

Poke, thanks for the offer, and thank you for serving.
The stock in your first pic looks like one of the stocks I am thinking about getting. It looks like the Light tactical. The other I am looking at is just like it without the thumb hook. Is the material taken out for the thumb hook what makes it a "Light" tactical stock?
I am also looking at the same color- if I am seeing yours right. The color I am looking at is Tan with Black web.
I can see the advantage to the thumb hook on the bottom of the stock. Is there any drawback to having it?
All of my shooting will be just range shooting- and an occaisional match, and will be mostly prone with a bipod, and some from a bench.

Jim

seems that is the way tactical stocks are being built these days, off a bipod its great off a benchrest not as handy. it is the light tactical, tan/black,

I have these stocks, along with HS police and 40X versions, AICS, McM A-5 and A-3 versions, overall I like the AICS, then the McM's, for a budget stock you cannot beat the B&C,