• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Got the wife hooked up on precision rifle, what to get her in 223rem?

Canuck1977

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2011
Mirabel Canada
Hi guy, I finally managed to drag my wife to the range and got her to shoot a nice little savage in 22lr and my AXMC in 308 win. Never though she would like it that much.

What would you recommend as a 223rem trainer? Budget would be about 2k...

Trying to get her to move up the caliber ladder slowly.

Cheers to all!

Reactions: Zeroit
I did a Tikka in 223rem with a manners stock and she loves it.
You can just get the Varmint and drop it right whatever chassis or stock you want and do the barrel later if you want to nit pick your budget

Reactions: drew_235
Thanks guys, 2k for the rifle only...

Tikka T3x Varmint in .223 ~$900
KRG Bravo stock ~$380
(2) MDT 10 round mags ~$75
20 moa base of your choice
low rings of your choice
Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 3-15x44 ~$650-$850 depending on vendor

That's slightly over $2k and the scope is included.

Just my personal opinion Canuck, but... I don't think anyone can tell you what to get. You will have LOTS of options at your price point. With carefully selected pieces, you could build something fairly nice. But, maybe you don't want to take that path. Only you know what's most important to you... and your wife. Let her see the various options and be part of the process. Might get her involved a bit more. I think part of the fun is seeing what the different options are and picking your own path.

Reactions: Canuck1977
I’d put her on a 6BR and teach her to load...easy accurate and great barrel life

That's what I did, well, 6BRA...

She loves it, and she enjoys the reloading aspect as well. Funny enough she loves lots of recoil in pistols but wants her rifles to have as little recoil as possible. If she ever burns her barrel out I'll rebarrel in .22 BR/BRA.

IMG_20190204_145252-01.jpeg

Besides 6 BR/BRA, .223 or .224 valkeryie are other good options for the better half. Recoil is low, factory ammo is available, if you reload you can take advantage of the heavy 88 ELDM projectiles.

I agree with others. Bighorn Origin, Keystone barrel, KRG Bravo chassis, trigger of your choice (I'm a big proponent of BnA Tacsport triggers). That's what I would do for a more budget friendly yet killer setup.

I know I've said this before, but I love the paint job on that stock. I have a black KRG coming soon for a .22LR rig and I'm either going.to attempt to imitate yours or do the sponge brush with yellow and green.

Reactions: kthomas
That's what I did, well, 6BRA...

She loves it, and she enjoys the reloading aspect as well. Funny enough she loves lots of recoil in pistols but wants her rifles to have as little recoil as possible. If she ever burns her barrel out I'll rebarrel in .22 BR/BRA.

View attachment 7149035

Besides 6 BR/BRA, .223 or .224 valkeryie are other good options for the better half. Recoil is low, factory ammo is available, if you reload you can take advantage of the heavy 88 ELDM projectiles.

I agree with others. Bighorn Origin, Keystone barrel, KRG Bravo chassis, trigger of your choice (I'm a big proponent of BnA Tacsport triggers). That's what I would do for a more budget friendly yet killer setup.

I went with the 224 Valkyrie to get my daughter to the range with me.

Enjoying it so far and shoots factory hornady 88 eld great. No recoil what so ever.