• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Got tired of shooting F Class in open with my 260 just completed an M40A3 for 600yr FTR

bhoges

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2003
Plainview,NY
Shooting my Nesika 260 in open class sucked. I also got tired of hiring b.s. from my buddy. Being left handed its tough to build a rifle a matter of a few weeks. I put a feeler out on the hide for a McMillan stock and within a day I received a reply. In a few days I was the owner of Badger M5 bottom metal as well as a Mcmillan A4 stock. Next step was to find a donor rifle. I had no luck at local stores and ended up getting two Rem700 SPS youth rifles in 243. (got one for a spare ya never know) At this point the project was moving fast. I was able to get a Shilen barrel HV, Badger Knob, Badger lug, Jewell trigger, TPS 20 Moa base, and rings pretty fast. All the pasts only two 2 weeks total. My buddy has a full shop in his basement. He is a bit of a nut. Ex Marine who bought all the tooling and trained himself. He rifles shot pretty well so I figured lets give it a try. First night we trued the action face, recut threads, trued bolt face, trued lugs, and installed an external bolt stop. The barrel was threaded with a 308 match reamer and cut to M40 specs with the M40 crown. The rifle looks similar but I wasn't concerned with making an exact copy. We installed a Badger knob and I sent the bolt to Kampfield to have it fluted. (he does awesome work and fast) Once the rifle was bedded I needed to figure out what color to paint the stock. Duracoat has so many choices it was tough to decide. I went with French Bk, Arctic Gray, Arctic Shadow and Snow Gray. Everyone has desert and woodland so I figured I be a little different. I used Duracoat stencils as well. I prefer Bulldog if I ever do another stock. The Duracoat ones don't have very smooth lines, almost choppy. For all the metal I used Gunkote Flat Bk mixed 50/50 with Moly Gray. I wanted a dark gray which turned out pretty well. Here's not pictures from today at the range. She shoots pretty well only having about 27 rounds down the tube.

Last edited:
Yes Im pretty happy. The paint work was easy for me since I used to do autobody. I saved a ton using his shop for the machine work. For the most part it worked out pretty good. Over the next few weeks I hope to dial it in at get out to 600 yards and see how it does. Time for an optics upgrade next.

Considering the EXPENSE as well as the long WAIT times for a lot of the Smiths....I'd take good care of that Buddy of Yours!

Good pics and a nice build. Thanks for taking the time tod post all of them.

FN in MT

I did camo paint jobs on two McMillans for him. I know the time you have to wait for a smith is a killer. After my last build when the smith screwed up the headspace in done. Try to do as much as I can myself or though my buddy. Funny some big name smiths talk a good talk but their work isn't even close to par.

Dang that sure is cool. I am kinda jealous that you have such a good buddy that will do stuff like that for you.

I have my loads dialed in. Even with bad wind I shot some nice groups today. Last item is new glass. I installed a NF 12-42x today for testing. I think Ill get another Razor.