• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Got winded at Butner 12/2/12

J-ROD

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2011
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Well this past Sunday was my second match (1k). Oddly enough my first was the same match at Butner one year ago. Just like last time I met some great people. I would like to give a huge thanks to Ken Barfield of DoubleHgunsmithing…don’t know if he’s on here or if I can even post that but either way he was patient with me when I botched up his scorecard, slowed him down in the pits flubbering with the scoring and gave me a bunch of help on shooting…great time of fellowship too. God bless you man.

The first relay, the wind was very calm. If I could have held my own, I would have scored very well. 2nd match had a little wind but I still managed sort of ok for a newbie. The 3rd match was where the bottom fell out. I've been winded in the deer stand but never at the range. Behind the berm you could see the trees/grass lean one way, then 15 seconds later they were bent the other way. I was doing my best to read the mirage and look at the flags but things were getting crazy. By the time I guessed the wind value and hold, the wind was moving the other way. I was aiming 4-6min left, then next shot 3-5min right. Most of the time I was under-correcting…I can only recall one or two times where I actually over-corrected. Something for me to be aware of next time. I started off dialing windage but that got really complicated so I re-zero’d and just held off. It was hard for my brain to allow my body to aim nearly on the target next to me.
Of all of the wind reading stuff I have seen/heard everyone talking about, it never really sunk in until this past weekend. I get it. I’ve spent countless hours on my ammo, that’s all fine and dandy but I really need to practice at distance in windy conditions.

I am going to try to shoot at Quantico, if not, it’s back to looking for farmland to lease a spot at least 600yds. For now I will shoot at 250yds with my .17hmr, the wind seems to really screw with that round beyond 100yds.

FWIW I didn’t make it out with my 200 Hybrid load, ended up trying a secondary load I had with 168 hybrids and Varget. From what I can tell, my vertical wasn’t excellent but it wasn’t bad, I’d say around 8in. That could be my load, (never shot it past 250). but most likely me. I need to get a new rear bag. I was using a Caldwell bunny ear bag but it kept rolling on me, or twisting so the bottom was starting to show, if that makes sense.
The first round, my reticle came back on my target nearly everytime, by the third I was have to slide the bipod over after every shot. Need to work on my form, that was quite frustrating.

Re: Got winded at Butner 12/2/12

Here in Oak Ridge we almost never seen crazy high winds, maybe invisible shifts that cost you a 9, and the change after you get in the scope that gets the odd 8, but usually not really big shifts, the kind you correct a minute and a half, shoot and find out you needed three. Camp Perry this yr was my initiation into the "Dear Lord, what is that worth" club, and I don't remember ever being right. :p

Those are really good experience, at least Perry was for me, it made Raton much easier to understand.

Under conditions like you described, you might be better off picking the condition you want to shoot under and then waiting until you see it again, rather than trying to hold off that much on either side. There are times when the condition you pick doesn't come back, but you can always wait a minute or two to see before holding off for a totally different condition.

JROD

Glad you made it down, sorry I didn't see you I was down on target 29. Yes the wind got very tricky that last relay and I was lucky to squeak out a 193. We shoot at Quantico the first Sunday of every month.

Va Jim

XTR, lol yes there was a lot of praying going on that string for me...mostly wild guestimating.

gstaylorg, very good point! Some of the other shooters mentioned that so I will for sure try it next time out, makes more sense. Honestly the main thing on my mind was running out of time. I seem to take awhile to get "comfy" behind the gun, first match I was the last shooter to finish...seconds shy of the time limit.

Va Jim, nice shooting! I was on 35 and did not squeak out anything close to that. I am much closer to Quantico than I am my 250yd practice farm, would love love to shoot 1k more often. I pm'd you!

Yep, wind was quite interesting last weekend. If you could stay in the scope and on the mirage, it was "managable" but if you dilly dallied around, you were toast. Fun weekend. Got to watch my boy who just turned 11 shoot a 195-7 on the first string Sunday and watching Rhys run that 200-6 on Saturday was incredible. Dont know who was more nervous, him or me!

Fun weekend and glad to see new blood on the range. We need it or we are going to be a dying breed...if we arent already.

Wow! That's some great shooting! Pass the congrats on for me. I have a 13mo son, I can only hope that one day he will be out there with me...good healthy time together for sure.

The second relay I felt like I was catching the switches and sort of staying on top of it. The third I definitely fell into the dilly dallying group you mentioned.

I hear ya, as I have said before, of all the people I talk to around here, "long range" to them means hitting a deer at 80yds with buckshot and a turkey choke, they just don't see why I'm so excited about it. I love this stuff... hook, line and sinker.

Yup, once you get hooked, its over! :) Luckily for me, while this is Trey's first year shooting, he seems to be taking to it pretty well and he seems to be enjoying it. Thats great, cause if he wasnt shooting with me, I would have less weekends hanging out with him. A weekend of shooting is 100% old man time for him!

John

I was on relay 4, and enjoyed that Sunday morning calm with my highest score ever at 1,000 (197-11x). Then the tables turned, and unlike most, I had 2 matches in the crazy stuff where the mid 180's was the best I could do. It was quite dissapointing to see my 185 .30 cals get blown around that much.

God I miss shooting there. My wife and I are moving to the area after I retire from the Corps...great people, great range. I used to shoot there every match when I was at Lejeune. Moving sometime in the spring/summer time.

I shot Butner this week with my SRT Snipers for the first time, awesome range. Who would be the POC in order to shoot matches?

I've sat behind guys at Butner and watched the wind, watched them watch the wind, seen them make a call in the spotting scope and by the time they get to the rifle and fire (a few seconds) the wind has flopped HARD just as you describe. I've shot team matches where three or four coaches on the line on their spotting scopes simultaneously say "Hold It!" These can be learning moments, as the new wind reader (like me) can ask himself if he saw the change when the experienced shooters did.

Pay for a target puller if you can and spend your non-shooting time on your spotting scope, seated in a chair behind the firing line watching the wind, and watching other shooters make wind calls. Second guess them, try to predict where the spotting disk will be when the target comes up. Use your non-shooting eye if you can, to avoid fatigue.

FWIW, I recently spoke with a gentleman who is rather successful in F Class and his words were "Quantico and Butner are the toughest ranges I shoot".

Rear bag placement and alignment / straightness will definitely throw shots horizontally. If your rear bag can rock side to side (isn't horizontally stable) watch out.

I am still learning myself, and my efforts are usually directed towards finding a wind condition I can reliably identify and shooting it.

Thanks for the response and the suggestions. I was actually really hoping I could find a puller for hire as I wanted to spend more time at the line studying the wind and other shooters. I was/am willing to pay for a puller for sure, just don't know how to go about lining one up.
The other benefit would be not having to rush so much to get up to the line and get my junk straight. Those 3 mins seem to fly by.

Your comments make me feel better...I would much rather shoot at a range that is on the difficult side versus an "easy" one with respect to the wind since this seems to be what separates the competition.

I am using a cheap caldwell bag, funny you mention the rocking as it seems to roll on itself after a few shots if that makes sense? I will probably go back to standard homemade bags or get a better rear bag. I was fighting the rear bag a lot that day.

Was looking for something else and found this thread. Just shot a mid range practice at Butner. My first shots at anything further than 200yds in 54 years. First shot was on paper at 300yds just barely as I had my scope dialed for 600yds as I thought we were only going to shoot F class at 600yds. Dialed it down and it was on then. Im sure I was grinning like a mule eating briars when I got all my shots in a respectable group at 600yds and all this, with a $450 rifle, $450 scope and factory ammo. I look forward to 1000yd next month.

Jimmy,
Glad you made it out. The guys at burner are a great bunch of people. Now it has started. You have been hooked by the F-class bug.

KT

Every new shooting experience needs to be positive to get you to come back and that one certainly was. Not sure I want to get into competition/matches but I can see shooting every practice next year. Shot IPSC/USPSA hard for 10 years and kinda got burned out on competition/match shooting. Hate that i waited so long to try shooting at Butner especially since it is only 30 minutes from me.

I went out to Butner on Saturday to see what all the F-TR fuse is about.

I have been an action pistol and 3-gun shooter for a while. In the last few years I have gotten into two man and individual tactical rifle matches.

I realize that I will never be competitive with my current gear, but the notion of shooting 1000 yards is really attractive. Butner is a great resource in our area and I look forward to trying it out. It would be nice if the wind wasn't blowing crazy like Saturday. Oh, and maybe a little warmer.

I met some really nice people and felt welcome. That is unfortunately rare is many shooting competitions.