• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Government Contracts?

Revenge Seeker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2007
VA. U.S.A
While working on past DOD naval contracts, my respective companies were compelled to adhere to the "buy american act" as well as DFARS. Does this apply to contracts in the firearms industry as well?

Re: Government Contracts?

I did a few projects on our AFB here and had to use all American. I heard the Horror stories of people using non American screws and they had to rip out all the drywall from a dorm. they are tough on it.
That said HK, sig, they are overseas companies right? unless they now have us parts. good question..

Had a similar situation-
A 1.5 Ton assembled weight linear actuator with over 500 working parts and 5K fasteners, got to the final stage (painitng) and someone in procurement had decided to run to Fastenall for two (yeah, count them TWO) fasteners that we couldnt get certs on, and they weren't marked when they went in, every single part of the actuator had to be segregated from everything else in the shop, and destroyed under mil supervision. harsh.

Why do you think that HK, SIG, Beretta and FN all have US "plants"? HK is in VA, FN in SC, Beretta in MD and I cannot remember where SIG is except maybe a facility in GA.

See the thing that always confused me is with DFARS, you can have a metal originally poured in another country, so long as machining is done stateside... tell me how that makes sense.