• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Government Orders Names of Gunscope App Users Turned Over

Centuriator

Dude...you're being very un-Dude.
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2012
Middle 'Merica!
From the article: " ICE has repeatedly intercepted illegal shipments of the scope, which is controlled under the International Traffic in Arms Regulation (ITAR), according to the government court filing. They included shipments to Canada, the Netherlands and Hong Kong where the necessary licenses hadn't been obtained."

So, the request could not have been limited to the those downloads being used in the countries where the scopes are suspected of being illegally imported? A 5 year old could see the stated reason is a pretext and it's honestly a little sad that is the best excuse they think of given all the atty's that probably worked on this unless the goal is to signal is we don't care about your rights or the law, we will do what we want because we can.

Reactions: Blutroop
You'll notice even on the PC they are trying to do away with simple installed programs that you can get somewhere like on a CD and install on any not network connected computer. Now Microsoft & Apple are trying to push everything into "cloud connected" "apps" because apparently apps sounds way cooler than applications or programs. Where everything is "updated" automatically in the background and "Telemetry" is sent continuously for "product improvement".

You'll notice even on the PC they are trying to do away with simple installed programs that you can get somewhere like on a CD and install on any not network connected computer. Now Microsoft & Apple are trying to push everything into "cloud connected" "apps" because apparently apps sounds way cooler than applications or programs. Where everything is "updated" automatically in the background and "Telemetry" is sent continuously for "product improvement".

Richard Stallman was right all along!

So is this a test push to ban private sale of nv/thermal scopes? Or do we wait for the next “mass shooting” where the shooter just happened to be using that type of scope?

Reactions: Blutroop
This was linked from article at OPs link:
seems to attempt to downplay the NV & thermal capabilities the Taliban have. But seriously, preventing exports of small ITAR items seems like a difficult problem.

Ballistic Apps are next LOL

The only reason much of the technology and skills we have and use are not under attack is because most antis either don't understand what we have or are too busy with other targets at the moment.

Sooner or later the capability to deliver accurate fire at what the untrained consider incredible distances is going to be skylined and targeted.

It’s not even ITAR exports IMHO.

Night vision isn’t a US exclusive product, and crappy versions are a dime a dozen overseas.

I’m just wondering why anyone would want the Taliban to NOT use ATN products.

Seems like a solid plan to have your enemy constantly missing the target or shooting at you with a scopeless rifle in no time.

This was linked from article at OPs link:
seems to attempt to downplay the NV & thermal capabilities the Taliban have. But seriously, preventing exports of small ITAR items seems like a difficult problem.

Well, it looks like gun owners are being pushed a little harder and a little farther everyday.
Too hard! All celebrities and most politicians have no idea at all as to the meaning of something as simple as the 2nd amendment? They do. Red flag is limited confiscation to be followed by all AR-15 types. It will be simple so they think.

Reactions: Longshot231
And everybody laughs at my mildot master . Seriously , we are at endgame . I saw an article on MSN feed that said the FCC is talking with internet providers and cell phone providers to regulate "Gun Speak " . They stated that First Amendment Rights do not supercede terms of use agreements . Yeah lets2 just ignore the fact that my 1st and 4th Amendment rights are being violated by illegal taps , aka unreasonable , illegal search . Dont look behind the curtain at the laws that we're violating . Lets talk about you . If they start denying services due ro this shit gun stores and manufacturers will go out of business in the blink of an eye .

Last edited:
So a crate of shitty Chinese-made ATN optics with a surely lax logistics chain made it onto the battlefield and the powers that be immediately point fingers at the American public? Riigghhht...

5E33DD42-7123-4A87-A669-745826FA8CFC.gif

So a crate of shitty Chinese-made ATN optics with a surely lax logistics chain made it onto the battlefield and the powers that be immediately point fingers at the American public? Riigghhht...

View attachment 7143397
Just had that conversation qith a buddy . I would not be aurpriaed if %75 of the shit purchased Amazon was not Chinese bootleg . I remember having to watch your ass purchasing nikon lenses because of Chicom knock offs . I you neede warranty on a expwnsive lense you were fucked .

We design/develop shit over here then send it off to China to be mass produced for cheap it gets sent back over here by the container load and then put ITAR restrictions on it not leavening the country and somebody in our government actually thought all players involved were going to actually follow the rules........lol ha ha Man you can’t make this shit up if you tried!

All this for ATN products?? Seems like it would be much like exporting a toy... are these super high tech scopes or something?

All this for ATN products?? Seems like it would be much like exporting a toy... are these super high tech scopes or something?

Toys for the most part, some of them. They fill a budget niche...

That being said, if push came to shove I’d rather have a toy than nothing I suppose.

Reactions: marc.
Toys for the most part, some of them. They fill a budget niche...

That being said, if push came to shove I’d rather have a toy than nothing I suppose.

I watched the promo video thinking that they sounded awesome.. turns out it's just a cell phone in the shape of a scope ?

Yup. Next it'll be ballistics apps and such.

We live in weird times....never saw this coming eh?

VooDoo

You can look at it this way though also... this is only public because it required a court-order to make it happen. There are other three-letter agencies that do not have to take such publicized routes to gather intel... they have had that data on-hand for ages. Perhaps not through a mobile device purchase, but believe me - they know well enough beyond such a simple “transaction”.

It’s all in how Uncle Sam decides to use that data in the end.

You can look at it this way though also... this is only public because it required a court-order to make it happen. There are other three-letter agencies that do not have to take such publicized routes to gather intel... they have had that data on-hand for ages. Perhaps not through a mobile device purchase, but believe me - they know well enough beyond such a simple “transaction”.

It’s all in how Uncle Sam decides to use that data in the end.

It's kind of how you tell who are actually the "adults" in said government and who are the little kids wanting more toys and power.
The real "adults" that actually have their hands in everything don't need to bother with court orders and getting into civil liberties BS and stuff. They are also Not going to be the ones waxing all vocal about needing to get rid of encryption.

The ones who are the true shadow masters are happy for everybody to be totally sure they have complete privacy, complete civil rights and all their stuff is fully encrypted & beyond scrutiny. Because the more you feel safe and secure the easier their jobs become.

Sort of related...

Apparently judges don't mind much being traitors to the constitution.
Pretty much just a prettied up version of rubber hose code breaking.

Judges have pretty much gone full on insane drunk with power with their stupid whole "holding people till they do what they say without any charges" business. Somehow I don't remember in the constitution it saying our judges automatically inherited all these oppression powers from our former English masters....

Reactions: Longshot231
Apparently judges don't mind much being traitors to the constitution.
Pretty much just a prettied up version of rubber hose code breaking.

Judges have pretty much gone full on insane drunk with power with their stupid whole "holding people till they do what they say without any charges" business. Somehow I don't remember in the constitution it saying our judges automatically inherited all these oppression powers from our former English masters....

Q: Do you know what you call a person who graduated from law school?

A: An attorney.

Q: Do you know what you call a person who graduated at the very bottom of his class in law school?

A: Your Honor.