• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gov't Profile 1x7 Chrome lined

downhill

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2010
Texas
My wife has decided to try NRA Highpower. But at 5'4" and 118lbs she has difficulties with the weight of my match rifles. I am thinking of building her an AR15 with the gov't profile barrel, should come in at about 7 lbs. Anyone know the expected accuracy of the chrome lined 1x7 Gov't Profile? Hoping for 1.5 to 2 moa with a float tube.

Re: Gov't Profile 1x7 Chrome lined

It can be hit or miss with a chrome lined barrel. They are not known for their accuracy. However, I had a Sabre Defense chrome lined barrel that was about just under 1 moa with 77 grain Black Hills. I have had many chrome lined barrels that are around 1 moa, but you should be able to expect 2 from a quality maker.

I bought a FN made (what the seller told me) 20" govt. profile, chrome lined barrel off of Gunbroker to use for a 3 gun set up. Brand new and cost me about $150. This was about 2 years ago

Shoots 55 gr Hornady FMJ to about 1.5 MOA and 55 gr Midsouth HPs to about 1 MOA using my Vortex 1-4x Viper HS

I have tried some 69 gr Sierra HPBTs just to see what they would do for a possible long range load. Put a Burris 6-18 on the gun and I seemed to be able to get well under 1 MOA. Problem is I have an ACE ARFX stock which makes rear support of the gun very difficult shooting off of a bench with sand bags. I would get 3 or 4 shots at about .5 MOA and then a flyer or two that would open the group up to 1 MOA. All this at 100 yards.

I will try again when I can get an A2 stock to put on the gun and shoot out to 400 yards (max distance at my range). Overall I think the potential is there for long range accuracy.

BCM also makes a 20" chrome lined govt profile barrels. I have one on the shelf waiting for a build so I cant comment on the accuracy of it.

I would really like someone (WOA, Noveske, etc) to offer a 20" govt profile SS/match barrel.

I recently took my Smith & Wesson MP15 to the range (3 days in a row), and I got 1.75"-1.5" MOA @ 100yds... and thats with a 1:9 twist barrel, and non- free float handguard.

Thats using a 1x4 scope, with 62gr and 55gr factory Federal hunting rounds, AND 55gr WPA (Wolf) surplus!

So, what I'm really sayin is:

It's like alot of guns... Hit or miss!

I would take a known target barrel that performs well and contour down slightly and then flute it. I have found like others have said it is really hit or miss getting a govt profile barrel. I have seen it on factory hunting rifles where in the barrel making process the barrel bulges out so that the bore is off center. What you could do is place the govt barrel on a lathe and spin it going from slow to fast rpm. This would at least show you if you have any serious issues.

Thanks for the input guys. I've got a Bushmaster match 1n8, I hadn't thought of having it turned down. I'll give Texas Brigade Armory a call about the machine work!

In my experience, the most accurate CL barrels I have found that are readily available now are Centurion LW (not really a LW sort of between a gov't and a LW) and Noveske CL (slightly heavier than the Centurion but with a more thought out profile). Both will be 1 MOA when floated with match ammo or handloads. Centurion can be bought separately but Noveske's are only available in uppers.

Both of these barrels are FN barrels and IMO are the best available CL barrels. Spikes and PSA have also started to put out some uppers with FN barrels but have not seen too many reports on accuracy and I have no first hand experience with them.

Turning down a known barrel is a good way to go too. Another option is Noveske NST (LW SS) barrels. They will be plenty accurate and very light SS.

I don't know much about NRA Highpower but 18" or 16" would be a good option to save weight if allowed in the rules. Seeing that max distance is 600 yards 16" will be fine.