• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gracey Case Trimmer

GSPKurt

III
Minuteman
May 19, 2009
Trenton, FL.
I would like some opinions from the folks here. I have been diagnosed with severe degenerative arthritis in my left wrist, and am pretty sure it's in my right wrist as well. I also have arthritis in my thumb joints (bilateral basal joint arthritis). Trimming brass with my Lyman trimmer, even with the power screwdriver attachment is painful, it sure ain't gonna get better. I need to make a change, and am seriously considering a Gracey case trimmer. It deburs and chamfers at the same time, so two more painful steps are eliminated. What do you think of the Gracey? Any and all input is appreciated, as always.

Re: Gracey Case Trimmer

I have a Giraud that trims/chamfers inside and out in one motion.
It works very well.

I don't know much about the Gracey.

Thanks, Raf. I looked at the Giraud, but found a dude selling a lightly used Gracey with several cal's for 2/3 of the Giraud, so that's why I'm asking.

The Giraud is better, better engineered. That said the Gracey is very nice. Changing calibers is a bit of a pain readjusting the cutter.

Giraud makes a cutter for the Gracey as well, that upgrade takes some of the pain out of changing calibers. Having multiple cutterheads would allow you to swap out the cutterhead when you change calibers eliminating most of the setup.

If I ran across a good deal on another Gracey I'd not pass it up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it will do the same, that's cheap.
Maybe someone will chime in with knowledge of both? </div></div>

The Gracey vs. Giraud thing has been hashed over a fair bit on here... but apparently more than 2yrs back, or else my search-fu is weak tonight
wink.gif

Long story made very short - Giraud motor is faster, has an on/off switch, has a one-piece carbide blade that is easier to adjust, the whole cutter head is designed to be easily removed (so you can leave one cutter set for .30 cal and another for 6mm), the chip containment is generally better (less chance of it getting into the shell holder area, uses sealed bearings, and in general is much higher quality in construction (in my opinion). My only gripe with the Giraud is the cheap Dillon lockrings that come with the shell holders - I much prefer split rings with set screws like the Hornady or Forster, and have replaced all mine with Hornady rings (because I can still fit a wrench on them if they tighten up too much).

The Gracey... has to be plugged/unplugged to start/stop, uses oil-bath bushings instead of proper bearings, uses a piece of rubber hose and hose clamps for a shaft coupler, uses a lower speed motor, has a two-piece HSS blade that is a PITA to set, the cutter head is physically removable so you can have different ones for each caliber (although I've only ever heard of *one* person who actually went to the trouble of doing so). My Gracey ran hot - too hot in my opinion as a former motor-control electrician, and when I ordered an extra shell holder from Gracey, I had to spend more time cleaning up the very poor threads with a needle file to be able to even screw the die into the machine.

My Gracey got traded off to someone who wanted a second machine due to the pain in the a$$ factor of setting up / changing calibers. I save the money, and a fair bit more thereafter, and got a Giraud. I have setups for .223 Rem, 6mm BR, .243 Win, 6-6.5x47L, and .308 Winchester - three cutter heads (.224, 6mm, & .30 cal) and five shell holders, plus a meplat uniformer setup (another cutter head and holder die). I like it very, very much.

YMMV,

Monte

I have the Gracey, a good machine,...until I went to adjust the cutting blades..( multipule calibers)...finally gave up and bought the Bob Jones/ Giruad cutters, 50ish bucks w/ shipping...then...I couldn't help but wonder how much difference the faster motor would make 120ish more...

Bottom line,..should have saved the grief and wasted time,...

BUY the Giruad....Gracey has had years to change designs or offer upgrade options...I ended up building the "Giraud" from a "Gracey".

Just my two cents....

Use the Giraurd cutter in your Gracy to make life easier. Been doing it in mine for a couple of years and it works fine.

If you are getting the Gracy cheap then get it. It's a good machine. Done thousands of pieces of brass on mine.

In all seriousness, the Giraud is one of the most effective, and well designed pieces of gear I have ever seen. For any application, not just reloading.

The speed at which it does so many processes, so effectively, must be experienced to be appreciated.

My understanding is that you'll have to hold your brass while the Gracey or Giuard trimmers are working. Having carpal tunnel in both wrists I don't think you'll want to hold round after round during trimming. Is the RCBS power trimmer an option? You can get the three way toolhead so it will trim, debur, and chamfer at the same time. The RCBS holds the brass for you during trimming so I would guess that would be easier on you.

I have a Gracey, it works fine. I have trimmed thousands of pieces of brass. As I recall, it is somewhat less expensive than a Giraud. The downside to the Gracey is that you do have to oil the bushings before each use, and it can spray oil onto your bench. If I had to do it over, I would probably go with the Giraud.

James

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoForBroke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My understanding is that you'll have to hold your brass while the Gracey or Giuard trimmers are working. Having carpal tunnel in both wrists I don't think you'll want to hold round after round during trimming. Is the RCBS power trimmer an option? You can get the three way toolhead so it will trim, debur, and chamfer at the same time. The RCBS holds the brass for you during trimming so I would guess that would be easier on you. </div></div>

As the other guys have said the Giraud is a much better unit than the Gracey. I have one myself.

As far as using one with arthritis in your wrist I would have concern. You will have repetitive motion and will have to have a fairly firm grip on the case as the machine trims it.

Maybe an RCBS trimmer is the way to go. Or enlist the help of a friendly neighborhood kid that wants to learn about shooting
wink.gif