• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gradous 6.5 SAUM Medium Weight Hunter! RANGE UPDATE

PatrickChewing

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 28, 2010
    Birmingham, AL
    Just got done finishing up my hunting rig with Robert Gradous. As with all Gradous stuff, I couldn't be happier. Here are the specs and a few pictures. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Clay

SPECS:
    Caliber: 6.5 SAUM
    Action: Defiance Deviant S/A with mag boltface and extended ejection port
    Barrel: Bartlein #4 Bull Sporter, 24 inch finish, 8.7 twist, shallow flutes done by Kampfeld Custom
    Brake: Badger Thruster
    Stock: Manners MCS carbon, Black Forest Camo
    Bottom Metal: Defiance
    Magazine: Alpha WSM
    Trigger: Timney
    Rings: American Precision Arms
    Scope: Premier 3-15 Light Tactical Gen2XR
    Weight: 11.6 pounds w/ scope, bipod, and magazine

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
    Reactions: Sendero_Man
    Man, you and Robert did a hell of a build. I've got everything but my stock for an LR build this year with Robert. Can't wait, and yes it will be a 6.5 SAUM. :)

Um, you're missing one thing... RANGE PICS!

This rifle is worth two compliments! Awesome setup man! Hopefully you're thinking of updating this thread with a range report???

That rifle really came out nice, glad you went with the black Cerakote instead of FDE.
    Congrats!

I dig it! Impatiently waiting for a range report........

Thanks for the complements fellas. This rifle turned out exactly like I had dreamed. This is my only carbon stock and I'm still in shock over how light it is. Also, there is ZERO recoil with the 6.5 SAUM. It feels like a 223 bolt gun. It's amazing with all that horsepower it feels like a kitty cat. The recoil is comparable to my 19 pound 6XC. I'm taking this rifle to Montana in October for antelope and I can't wait!

I dig it! Impatiently waiting for a range report........

If its like every other Gradous build the range report will be as follows.

5 round group.

images

Beautiful rifle! Will be perfect speed goat medicine

Last edited:
    Too bad you aren't a sick individual like Papa and OGonzales because I would go ahead and call dibs on this for when you would be selling it in about 3 months. I don't see how you could spec out a better hunting rig. Awesome stick.

Too bad you aren't a sick individual like Papa and OGonzales because I would go ahead and call dibs on this for when you would be selling it in about 3 months. I don't see how you could spec out a better hunting rig. Awesome stick.

Well... There is the "original". Extreme Hunter... 6.5 Saum. Grin!

PC did a great version too !!

Clay,

Congrats on your build, she is spectacular! I look forward to your results tomorrow at the range.. I'm sure it will be an absolute hammer!! Keep us posted!

Best regards,

Bob

Finally got to the range today. Expected the worst but everything fell into place on two loads. All groups were 3 shots at 109 yards. Feel free to offer any suggestions!

28 rounds through the rifle so things should settle down and speed up. Really enjoying this caliber so far!

Clay

Once again, another GREAT Gradous build Clay! Man, I need to get back down there... All I need is my stock for my lightweight 6.5 SAUM I went with the EH-1 in Gap camp, and my barrel for my medium weight 6.5X47, then I will be off to Georgia.

Once again, another GREAT Gradous build Clay! Man, I need to get back down there... All I need is my stock for my lightweight 6.5 SAUM I went with the EH-1 in Gap camp, and my barrel for my medium weight 6.5X47, then I will be off to Georgia.

Everything at Gradous' place is just like you remember it! You will really like the SAUM. Your SAUM hunter will be the "fat free" version of mine. Can't wait to see it and hear you rave about it!

Finally got to the range today. Expected the worst but everything fell into place on two loads. All groups were 3 shots at 109 yards. Feel free to offer any suggestions!

28 rounds through the rifle so things should settle down and speed up. Really enjoying this caliber so far!

Clay

Clay,

Awesome rifle, and great job with the data provided. I just loaded up some 6.5 SAUM using almost the same components with 7mm Rem brass, and CCI-250 primers. I will be testing from 60.0 to 62.0 as well. Thinking out loud here; moreover, your node appears to be around 61.5 grs. with a scatter node around 60.5grs. Add 1.5% to your scatter ( Per Dan Newberry OCW method) and should put you in the center or your node; however, you know what your doing! Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
    Guys I had the privilege of Clay and Robert inviting me out to watch this build, I had been in contact with Clay about his last 6.5x47 Lapua Sentinal build mainly to ask him about the Beast he had on top of that beautiful rifle. Clay offered to mail it to me!!! and I said no way, just so happens he was going to Roberts in the next few weeks so I met him their and spent the weekend at Roberts shop. Ive had a couple of rifles built by Robert and they are both top notch 1/4" guns so it was really nice to just be able to sit back and watch him build Clays SAUM.
    Clay has been extremely gracious and helpful in my next build and has helped me choose the right parts. After shooting the Vanillia Gorilla with that Thunderbeast I am sold!!!

Awsome rifle Clay! And thanks for everything you've done for me.
    Look forward to you coming to watch my next Gradous build!

What thread is your Thruster?. The muzzle dia. for your barrel is .750 correct. Im trying to figure out what one to get. Thanks.

What thread is your Thruster?. The muzzle dia. for your barrel is .750 correct. Im trying to figure out what one to get. Thanks.

The thruster thread pitch is 5/8x24. Gradous tapered and contoured it so it blended with the barrel and didn't look overly large for the barrel contour.

Hope this helps!