• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gradous Hunting Rifle Review

mclevela

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2007
Moorcroft, Wyoming
I purchased this rifle here on SH. The rifle was new at purchase and was here because of a customer cancellation after the build, I would like to thank 95LTZ for posting this for Robert and his help with the purchase.

I am not a dyed in the wool 300WM fan until this rifle and I have nothing but good to say about Robert Gradous. The guy is first class to deal with. He called to make sure the rifle arrived, shipped 50 rounds of tested handloads with the rifle and called days later to make sure i was satisfied with the rifle.
This is how getting a custom should be and if I had spec'd it myself I could not be happier with it.
Pure easy to take rifle with handloads developed for it, mount an optic and go shoot.
The muzzle brake deserves a mention as it is very, very effective. This rifle weighs right a ten pounds scoped and its recoil was less than that of 14 pound non-braked .260 Rem.
It is incredible how effective this brake is, yes it will blow some debris out from under it but I was able to see impacts at 600 yds shooting from bipods with this rifle. I have five rifles chambered for belted mags and you would not know this is magnum caliber when shooting it.
The same day I shot this rifle for the first time I was also first time with another custom build and Robert's work purely shined as everything worked as it should on his rifle while the other had ejection problems, bolt stop and other issues.
The next rifle I have built will be by Mr. Gradous, he is simply first class and a stand up guy.

I shot 6 rounds at 100yds for zero, 4 or those are shown in the pic, to bad i pulled one. The ammunition Robert sent is loaded with the Berger 175 gr hunting VLD.
I then moved to 600 yds and pounded a steel target for 4 rounds. Great rifle and builder.(yeah its not a five shot group)
dmxrir.jpg

iqapw5.jpg

5f53cp.jpg

Rifle Specs:
McMillan Remington Hunter stock
75% OD - 25% Black w/Decelerator recoil pad, LOP 13 1/2"
Defiance Long Action RB/RP
Badger A4 BDL style bottom metal
Defiance picatinney rail, 0 MOA, 8-40 screws + dowel pins
SS Kreiger 5R #5 taper 11:1 twist 24" + VAIS muzzle brake
All metal coated in Graphite Black ceracote
Jewel Trigger
S&B Precision Hunter 3-12x42 P3 Mil Adj.(purchased on SH)
300 Win Mag

Re: Gradous Hunting Rifle Review

Can not agree with you more.He is the best I have ever used and I have used a bunch of different gunsmiths. If you are even thinking of a build call and talk to him. You will not be disapointed.

Great review. Thanks much for sharing. Most people are very quick to post when something was a problem or not 100% right, but few take the time to give praise when it is deserved.

Robert is an outstanding gunsmith & rifle builder. He has selflessly shared information with other 'smiths in an effort to help them build a better product. I've seen him go out of his way to try to help others even at his own expense of time and money. He is that kinda guy. And there really aren't many of "that kinda guy" in this industry.

I simply cannot say enough positive things about Robert Gradous. His only fault is being too modest. I am proud to call Robert a friend.

If anyone is looking for a builder for their next project, certainly give Robert strong consideration. Call and talk to the man and you'll see what I mean.

Mark

I took my rem 5r to Robert for a tune up. He knows his stuff and won't sell you something you don't need. To bad he doesn't work on cars.
175.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BookHound</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great review. Thanks much for sharing. Most people are very quick to post when something was a problem or not 100% right, but few take the time to give praise when it is deserved.

Robert is an outstanding gunsmith & rifle builder. He has selflessly shared information with other 'smiths in an effort to help them build a better product. I've seen him go out of his way to try to help others even at his own expense of time and money. He is that kinda guy. And there really aren't many of "that kinda guy" in this industry.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I simply cannot say enough positive things about Robert Gradous. His only fault is being too modest. I am proud to call Robert a friend. </span>

If anyone is looking for a builder for their next project, certainly give Robert strong consideration. Call and talk to the man and you'll see what I mean.

Mark </div></div>

Robert's modesty matches his gunbuilding ability, and that's really saying something. Hell of a builder, hell of a guy. You can't go wrong with him.