• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Grafs Hornady .312 BTHP 174gr Bullets - Gone?

Recon_Scout

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2020
Checking with the community here - Grafs used to carry special runs of Hornady 174gr BTHP .312 Bullets. They were excellent food for my Enfield No4mk1T, Mosin Sniper and SVD, now I cant seem to find them on their website (not even in out of stock section) are they gone forever?

They were discontinued several years ago appearantly, no mention of them in the Hornady 10th edition manual.
I believe Hornady still produces the fmj version but I've never shot any so cant say if they're of comparable accuracy to the bthp or not.
I shot the bthp's in my T's and Mosin PU as well for a while.
Shot very well but didnt match the range drum BDC settings of either scope.
Ended up loading Speer 150gr flat base( the BC is very close to that of the original WW II era Russian 148gr bullet the scope is calibrated for) over IMR 4064 for the Mosin, matches the BDC graduations nearly perfect out to 500 meters.
I bought 5000 rounds of Greek HXP and South African Mk.7 ball for the T's 5 or 6 years ago when CTD had it cheap. Enough to last me the rest of my days.

They were discontinued several years ago appearantly, no mention of them in the Hornady 10th edition manual.
I believe Hornady still produces the fmj version but I've never shot any so cant say if they're of comparable accuracy to the bthp or not.
I shot the bthp's in my T's and Mosin PU as well for a while.
Shot very well but didnt match the range drum BDC settings of either scope.
Ended up loading Speer 150gr flat base( the BC is very close to that of the original WW II era Russian 148gr bullet the scope is calibrated for) over IMR 4064 for the Mosin, matches the BDC graduations nearly perfect out to 500 meters.
I bought 5000 rounds of Greek HXP and South African Mk.7 ball for the T's 5 or 6 years ago when CTD had it cheap. Enough to last me the rest of my days.

I bought 400 of them before the COVID shitshow started, in April they showed sold out on website.... Today can't even find them.

This bullet has not showed up in the Hornady manual for a while (at not in 8th, 9th or 10th edition) I believe they were specially manufactured for Grafs (the box even had "Grafs" stamp on it).
Will have to switch to 150gr Hornady SST Bullets I guess...

I bought 400 of them before the COVID shitshow started, in April they showed sold out on website.... Today can't even find them.

This bullet has not showed up in the Hornady manual for a while (at not in 8th, 9th or 10th edition) I believe they were specially manufactured for Grafs (the box even had "Grafs" stamp on it).
Will have to switch to 150gr Hornady SST Bullets I guess...
Never paid it any attention before so i dug out my last box of a 500 round lot I bought 10 years ago and sure enough it has "Grafs" right there on the label just like you say.

As for a replacement, have you considered the 174gr SMK ?

Last edited:
The FMJBT version is unfortunately .3105.

I have just purchased a few hundred of the .312 HPBT so that gives me some hope they are still out there.
Personally I would email Graf's to find out.
I would be very surprised if they discontinued this projectile, it's pretty popular.

IIRC, along about the fall of 2013 Hornady released a letter to the effect that due to high demand outstripping supply/production(the result of the panic buying caused by the Obama gun ban proposals in the wake of Sandy Hook) only the more popular bullet weights/types in each caliber would remain in production along with additional production lines/shifts opened up in the attempt to meet demand until the situation stabilized.
The letter also announced the updating of Hornady's product line that would, in light of the situation, be put into motion earlier than planned and certain traditional/less popular offerings would be discontinued in favor of more modern designs.
I seem to remember there was a list including the bullets that would remain in production and those that would be discontinued altogether or limited to seasonal production runs, but I do not remember whete the .312 bthp fit into the grand scheme of things.
It had actually disappeared off radar, at least temporarily, about a year and a half before the Hornady letter came out.
The 6.5mm 160gr RN was one bullet that was discontinued, but due to demand it was reintroduced several years later.
Also, the Hornady .312 bthp was not a Grafs exclusive, I know that Midway, Natchez and other distributors sold it at one time or another. If fact the Midway web page still has a listing for it but it's out of stock and deemed discontinued.

• Wow
Reactions: sandwarrior