• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Grand River Tactical shooting mat/rifle case

Hasgun Willtravel

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2007
Ionia County, MI
I have been working on this for a while, and have been mentioning it to folks, for quite some time, and have finally gotten around to putting up some pics of the first version that I think is ready. Its still a project in the works, but this is the basic layout. There are no thrills, no frills, it only does what it is supposed to, provide superior protection for your rifle, and make shooting prone much more comfortable/drier/less dirty.

I am still trying to find some sources for certian materials, that I just can not seem to find (lammy suede). Something that will be added to the final version, will be a couple of the lammy panels for anti slip (elbows and knees), though in using this one, that is not a problem I have experianced to date, so depending on field use over the next month or two, I may drop that all together for uneeded wight and expense.

In making this one, I worked out a lot of the kinks, so the layout is pretty final. There is MOLLE on the outside for attaching pouches for cleaning supplies, etc., and on the inside, there is provisions for a cleaing rod, small databook on the front, or a larger databook in the rear pocket that the butt stock fits into. Originally, I had intended to put the muzzle into a pouch, but opted to use one of my crown protectors, held in place by a QR buckle, it holds the rilfe in place very well.

Those are 2" straps, with ITW Nexus buckles, wich may be changed to 1", but I think the 2" strapping is the way to go, as it only requires 3 and the are much stronger, and disperses the wieght better.

closedsmall.jpg

Pocket in the front

61109022small-1.jpg

61109018.jpg

6_11_09019small.jpg

61109020.jpg

61109021.jpg

I would like to hear opinions, on what people would like to see in a bag/mat like this, things to add, things to change/remove, so have at it.

Price is yet to be determined, I wouldnt even mind some suggestions for that, I know down to the dollar in materials what it costs, I just need to figure my labor into it, but would rather hear what these are worth to the shooting community who will actually be using them and paying for them. (I know what I would want to pay for one, and thats why I started sewing instead on buying
grin.gif
)

1000D Cordura Dupont Treated Nylon
1/2 Closed cell foam (100% waterproof)
EVERYTHING is completey USA made/assembled

Nick

Re: Grand River Tactical shooting mat/rifle case

Hey Nick thats bad ass! I might have to order one of those from you also. When you figure the price thing out let me know!
If its anything like your C.O.M.P kits then we are in luck with another quality peice of art! Have you ever thought of building Ghillie suits?

Thank you Jed. I have not ventured into the Ghillie area, however, there is another guy in MI that makes a hell of a Ghillie suit, and he is a SnipersHide member, you can look him up. His handle in silent_one, I believe. He has a website, and makes a great product from reviews I have heard, hope that helps.

IMHO... I would make the cleaning rod pouch an option....
are there attachment pounts for a sling? Or could a a sling for carry be an option?

This may seem stupid, but here goes....

I have a cheaper version of one of these that I use as a mat...
it's nice to lay on, but my bipod feet always slip....
so, maybe a "y shaped strap" of sorts that is/can be anchored to the mat?
then connected to the bottom of your bipod feet?
then you can anchor the mat with your body and effectively load the bipod?
Being a y shaped design should allow you to swing left/right to some degree....

Last question, what caliber is the gun and who did your paint (duracoat?) Looks great! Nice gun! Nice mat!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my bipod feet always slip....so, maybe a "y shaped strap" of sorts that is/can be anchored to the mat? then connected to the bottom of your bipod feet?</div></div> It's better to keep the bi-pod off the mat, if possible. On concrete, where bi-pod feet slip, I keep the bi-pod on the mat and push the feet into the front lip of my HSCR. On grass, where I can dig the feet into the ground by rocking them a bit back and forth first, I do that instead. So, maybe a short lip at the front would help me.

Nick, how about a larger dirt flap that folds out and extends on the ground when the mat is open, and folds back over the rifle when the mat is closed. I use mine to secure extra loose gear when I'm in a hurry moving from one firing line to another - with no danger of the stuff falling out the bottom of the carrier.

Also, how about one handle on each side of the flaps at the bottom, so I don't have to buckle it up (or if I forget to buckle it up) and if I want to throw everything together and carry it a few yards forward during a range course.

Thanks Graham....
maybe I need to invest in pod claws....
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">pod claws....
smile.gif
</div></div>LOL!
laugh.gif

Jacob may disagree with me, but I'm not a fan of muzzle-brakes either.

That said, I'm sure you could out-shoot me any day.... and in the vast scheme of things what do I really know?
smile.gif

Nick's doing an ambitious thing producing those mats. I saw the prototype last week. It's quite good, and getting better. It has thicker foam than my HSRC, which helps when using it as a case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">pod claws....
smile.gif
</div></div>LOL!
laugh.gif

Jacob may disagree with me, but I'm not a fan of muzzle-brakes either.

That said, I'm sure you could out-shoot me any day.... and in the vast scheme of things what do I really know?
smile.gif

Nick's doing an ambitious thing producing those mats. I saw the prototype last week. It's quite good, and getting better. It has thicker foam than my HSRC, which helps when using it as a case. </div></div>

Brother, I assure you I cannot outshoot you,
I am pretty sure I am more accurate with a softball...... than my rifle..
wink.gif

I am looking forward to these mats if he decides to make them,
I was impressed with the quality of his COMP kits.... (and like to support a hider)
although my wife says I'm easy to impress.....
smile.gif

Thanks for the idea Graham, I was using the bag last night, getting my dope for the 6.5x47 and thought to myself thats a bit of a pain in the ass to buckle up to move 100 yards. That would be easy to do...

I did not put a shoulder strap on there because I did not have to 2" sliders that I need to make them adjustable. But the final version will have either 1 shoulder strap or back pack straps that a detachable and will fold away. The only problem is the more stuff that I stick on there, the less compfortable it is to lay on it, but the straps will be in there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Last question, what caliber is the gun and who did your paint (duracoat?) Looks great! Nice gun! Nice mat!</div></div>

Thats my baby, Pierce Built Custom Tac Repeater. NF 3.5x15-56 MLR/MIL, 6.5x47, 28" Broughton barrel. The skins were dipped at a place local to me, can not recall their name, but they are in Woodbury, MI. Its a film dip that thye used to do it. I wasnt sure that I would like them, I bought them to strip and paint green, but they have really grown on me.

Love the suggestions guys, keep them coming.

I might add one or two more pockets on the sides of the other pocket, might be a little overkill for 3 in that place but I think 2 could be very useful without to much crap packed into that one end. You know now that I think about it maybe just 2 pockets. Remove the one in the center and put 2 on either side of where it is now. Size I think is good. Shoulder staps and the such that go on the outside should be option only I would think. I have a few things that have removeable buckles and the left over clip is kind of bothersome. Would you email me a price and pic when you finalize, I've been wanting one. Thanks.

Possibly 2 quick buckles on the front of the mat? I am thinking towards a front apron to proetect from dusting? Somthing like this would be perfect....one layer of the material used all over....maybe for an extra cost you could buy the matching ground cover...I have lots of problems with bark/dust/shit flying all over me when field firing my 300WM even without brake. I end up carrying a tarp or other cover to lay in front of my barrel....you could wrap it all up and attatch it to two buckles on the out side of the bag or into the molle?

Any idea on lead time or pricing?

I would be willing to buy a prototype to try out and cover the shipping cost back to you for any later updates....

If you going to go through the time and effect and make yet another deluxe drag bag with pockets and straps, etc... you should consider making one that fits correctly in a hard case that has a place to remove the bolt so when you are traveling. This way you put the stuff you need for when you travel, and then when yo arrive you just pull the bag out and bring it too the range.

90% of the time they are not a drag bag, but more a "range" bag that looks like a drag bag because to carry something like that along with a ruck is not practical. So why not make a "range" bag that looks like a drag bag that replace the foam in your hard case. You can put your ear protection, your kestrel, log book, etc.. you take the range.

Although I don't own one I believe a pouch for a suppressor would be in effect on the side with or in place of the cleaning rod.

Waddayathink?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Possibly 2 quick buckles on the front of the mat? I am thinking towards a front apron to proetect from dusting? Somthing like this would be perfect....one layer of the material used all over....maybe for an extra cost you could buy the matching ground cover...I have lots of problems with bark/dust/shit flying all over me when field firing my 300WM even without brake. I end up carrying a tarp or other cover to lay in front of my barrel....you could wrap it all up and attatch it to two buckles on the out side of the bag or into the molle? </div></div>

As a custom option, I could do anything you would like, including a pocket for a can, there is one on this bag, its under the muzzle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you going to go through the time and effect and make yet another deluxe drag bag with pockets and straps, etc... you should consider making one that fits correctly in a hard case that has a place to remove the bolt so when you are traveling. This way you put the stuff you need for when you travel, and then when yo arrive you just pull the bag out and bring it too the range.

90% of the time they are not a drag bag, but more a "range" bag that looks like a drag bag because to carry something like that along with a ruck is not practical. So why not make a "range" bag that looks like a drag bag that replace the foam in your hard case. You can put your ear protection, your kestrel, log book, etc.. you take the range. </div></div>

Thats brilliant. I am going to take the foam out of my hard case later tonight and try this out, and see what happens. I will post some pics.

I am trying hard not to get a lot of stuff on this(pockets, pouches, blah blah) to keep it very affordable, but every additional hour that I spend sewing is affecting price...

I think a range bag is definately the idea here, so there must be a certain amount of provisions for range gear, to have everything all in one package, kind of a slipery slope between mobility and something pack mules will have to carry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adam boynton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nick, where do you want me to send the money to?

</div></div>

+1.... and can we get a "simple one?"
I primarily want a mat that I can wrap my rifle in for local transportation.....

Made also with the dimentions to cover/fit 28" or the longer "tactical match" barrels?

grin.gif

easy, easy one at a time...rofl

the rifle that you see in the case in 28", measured from the chamber..I put a 30" 7mm mag in there, and it fits fine also.

These do take some time to make, however, I will be starting them shortly, after I get my rifle dialed in. Thats taking priority at the moment.

I will post a price hopefully by the middle of the week, with a list of options available. Colors will include OD green, Coyote Brown, and Multicam. Others available, but I do not stock them, as there was not a request for them with the COMP kits.

I dont make anything that is "this is the only way it comes", so that kind of stuff will be priced on a case by case basis, pun intended. People want custom stuff, so people will get custom stuff from me.

When the price is posted, I will start taking pre-orders and will be done first come first serve.

The only thing I would like to note, is none of my stuff has a logo or tag on it. If your wife has an embroidery sewing machine (that accepts digital images), quietly box it up and send it to me, and I will trade you some gear for it
whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you going to go through the time and effect and make yet another deluxe drag bag with pockets and straps, etc... you should consider making one that fits correctly in a hard case that has a place to remove the bolt so when you are traveling. This way you put the stuff you need for when you travel, and then when yo arrive you just pull the bag out and bring it too the range.

90% of the time they are not a drag bag, but more a "range" bag that looks like a drag bag because to carry something like that along with a ruck is not practical. So why not make a "range" bag that looks like a drag bag that replace the foam in your hard case. You can put your ear protection, your kestrel, log book, etc.. you take the range. </div></div>

Hell yah! Right now i have to travel with a hard case when going to far away matches but when I am at the range having my soft case would be nice.

If you make one that fits a Storm and Pelican I think that would be the shit.

I dont have a Storm or Pelican case, but it fits inside the shitty Plano case that I do have, I will post some measurements later tonight, but based on the case I do have, it fits perfectly. I will post dimensions with my rifle in it later tonight when I get back from shooting.

My current setup is an HSRC, which travels inside (fits perfectly) a Pelican 1750 in the truck. Get to the range, remove HSRC, on my way - without having to haul the hard case around. This is definitely my ideal setup for a practice day at the range. For matches, though, hauling the mat around is a bit unwieldy. Next month, I think I'm going to try a dragbag instead, which would be able to contain all my ammo, etc. With the HSRC, I also haul a ruck around...

Still trying to find the elusive perfect setup. :)

Here is a way to do shoulder straps.......

Put a metal D ring at the center about 3/4 of the way up, put two buckels at the bottomw with the female sides on the bag. For the straps just being them together and put a clip of some sort that would clip onto the D ring on the bag, on the straps you can adjust with the buckles. With not putting a buckle at the center attachment point you dont add that bulk and a small D ring will be unnoticable when laying on it. The buckles at the bottom of the bag shoudlnt bother anyone. If needed the buckles could be attached to the bag and then the center clip could be clipped to the shooter to actually drag it.

Im interested in what the listed price is going to be. I am cheap but I would think that 2 to 3 times the cost of materials and they would sell like hotcakes.

Looking good Nick. Very usable product from what I saw at the range the other day. I may have to trade up from my Dillon mat to one of those for shooting off concert. Nice set of rings on that rifle too!!

Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skibum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice set of rings on that rifle too!!</div></div>LOL!
laugh.gif
They look to be superbly mounted, must have been by a pro!

Adam, tell the whole story: You were invited, but you think you're too good to be seen with us.
grin.gif

I even snagged a couple of Nick's fat-boy scope/muzzle protectors, and now I'm the cool kid with the hot step-mom!
laugh.gif

Adam, based on the for sale section, it looks like you are too busy wheelin and dealin to come out and play!

Yes Graham, superbly mounted! I especially liked your calibrated 15 in-lb torque wrench!!

Overall very cool. Not dig'n the two inner buckles over the rifle. I like the muzzle sock with webbing.

IMHO, four smaller buckles that attach to the case's lip would look better and close it up better; with only three buckles the ends are floppy. As it looks now, the outside straps "wrap & squish" the case instead of snugging & cinching it closed.

+1 single shoulder sling instead of backpack straps. Not going to carry it that far and chances are I'll already have a ruck sack on.

Consider having two sizes; up to 30" barrels and up to 24" barrel. It spite of what she says, 6" matters.

308Dude, you are hitting a important point that has been bothering me since using this ALOT over the past week. I find that the buckles are tending to dig into my chest when shooting off it, and they will be moved, or changed in favor of a different method of holding the rifle still.

The fact that the buckes cinch the case tight, is not an issue, because when folded up, it actually pulls everything together nicely.

With the short barrel rifle issue, size will vary, when I start taking orders for these, you can specify length. The overall length will remain the same (total mat size when opened), the closed cell foam will be shorted, and the flap that folds out will just be slight larger, allowing for a larger pocket up front, and the folded length will be shorter, based on your rifle length. That way a large fully padded mat will still be there, but the folded length will be sized appropriately for your rifle.

Also, I took the foam out of my crappy hard case and it fits in there perfectly. If anyone can post the interior measurement of the Storm or Pelican case, I can confirm for sure, that it will fit in there without the foam.

Thanks guys.

Nick

I would make it out but I have this pesky 2 month old as well as a 2 and 4 year old that demand most of my time. Hit me up next time and I will be there. Nick any chance you could have one of these mats ready by next week so I could "demo" it out west for my prairie dog hunt?

Storm im3100
Inner Dimensions
36.5 x 14.0 x 6.0

Storm IM3200
Inner Dimensions
44.0 x 14.0 x 6.0

Storm IM3300
Inner Dimensions
50.5 x 14.0 x 6.0

Pelican 1700
Interior Dimensions
35.75 x 13.50 x 5.25

Pelican 1720
Interior Dimensions
42.00 x 13.50 x 5.25

Pelican 1750
Interior Dimensions
50.50 x 13.50 x 5.25

Hope this helps. I would like one for both my Storm 3100 and my Storm 3200.

Looks sweet dude. Let me know when you have a price. I've been looking for a good bag/mat.

Thank You very much for that ukdave! Thats perfect for referance.

The case above is for the rifle you see above, wich is nearly 48" long. It will easily fit inside of a Peilican 1750.

Nick

Alright guys, this is what I want to do. I want up to 10 guys that use gear hard and often. 10, becasue that should be a good amount of people to test things in differant enviroments, at differant levels of usage.

I know that the materials will hold up, as good as anything else made of 1000D Cordura, and webbing, I just want to see how they last over the course of about 2 months of hard and near continous use. I know what it will look like, based on what mine looks like, but want to see them in differant climates and situations and see how they last, and, if any, what needs to be changed or beefed up.

These 10 mats will be for demo and ruggedness testing. They will be offered at a price much below what they will ultimately start selling at.

Heres the deal.

PM me for pricing, and we can discuss some details. If after a couple months of usage, you tell me what you would like changed, and you can ship it back, I will make the modifications, fix anything thats wrong with it, and ship it back to you. If its something you can live without, we can work out a deal that I buy it back from you, based on usage and apperance.

I warrant all my stuff for life, materials and craftsmanship, and to date, have only received one item back for adjustments (Comp Kit), and that was because the measurements that I received were incorrect. I have, what I consider, a perfect track record.

If you are interested in one of the demo mats, please post here, and then PM me. I can do MO, or Paypal. With a buy back guarentee (based on usage and apperance), there isnt much to loose.

These will go into production in about a 1-2 weeks, I am still waiting for some backordered materials, and that will also give me a cushion for any materials that I may have to return and re-order based on quality. Estimated deliver time, to your door, is 3 weeks.

You can specify color, OD, Coyote, Multicam.

The Hide is the only place that this is going to be offered too, and the only place that I have done business at, to date. Your opinions are what counts most, as I know the quality of folks here are of the highest caliber, and the most serious shooters who like a good product and will use it the hardest.

These first demo mats are the only ones that are going to be offered at the discounted price, so get in while you can. If all 10 mats get spoken for, thats it.

Adam Boynton is first up, so there are 9 left.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

You Ga boys that end up getting one bring it on out to Creekside so I can use and abuse it please. I cant afford one at the moment.

PM on OD

Nick Ill lend one of my 3300's for a template (Storm Case).

Rich