• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Knives Gransfors Swedish Axe head $100

MK20

Major Member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 17, 2018
    The land of many waters
    New old stock Gransfors axe head made for the South American market. This head is LARGE. Estimate 5 lbs. Its got a round poll. Still in the wrap which is hard to find. $100 shipped. First I'll take it followed by PM gets it. PayPal friends and family.

16523875319963596431972310527885.jpg
    16523875522474449089435909714037.jpg

Attachments

• 16523869495407172197596400690414.jpg
      16523869495407172197596400690414.jpg
      505.3 KB · Views: 38
    • 16523869761703840378047276506658.jpg
      16523869761703840378047276506658.jpg
      488.2 KB · Views: 42
    I have a line on a huge batch, were talking 800 axes I can pull from. I am working the deal now so I'll let you guys know if it works out.

If anyone has a good source for handles let me know and if it pans out I'll send you a free axe for helping me out. I can get handles here and there but if I bought a big batch of these heads I am going to need a bunch of good handles at a good price. Birch handles are a plus.

Any interest in selling just heads? I get a kick out of rehanging axes, but around me good steels hard to come by. Probably save some shipping that way too...

This is not a dig at the OP

These are no better than a lot of the other axes out there. The problem is all the lumbersexuals buys up all the GB axes and flannel shirts and growing a beard and having their hair pulled up into a bow on the back of their head. If this is you, you are the reason for a $75 axe is selling for over $200

These are no better than a lot of the other axes out there. The problem is all the lumbersexuals buys up all the GB axes and flannel shirts and growing a beard and having their hair pulled up into a bow on the back of their head. If this is you, you are the reason for a $75 axe is selling for over $200

There are a couple manufacturers out there that are as good as gransfors. There were a few that were even better but they have mostly closed down.

Please enlighten us as to how a lot of the other axes out there are the equivalent of gransfors, and who would these manufacturers be?

If you come and shit post in my thread you better be able to back it up buddy.

And seeing as how at one point a while back I shelled out 3500 bucks to order a bunch of axes from halfway around the world for a bunch of members here based on my knowledge of axes and forging techniques and steels used. I would wager that I happen to know a bit more than you.

Or have you had 80 year old hand forged heads destructively tested for metallurgy and hardness? I have, on my own dime.

Let me guess, you dont have one of these at home, don't you?
    signal-2022-05-11-18-10-01-012.jpg

I would guess not. Do you have two? I do.

Are you in the process of building your own smithy for the production of axes?

Have you been looking for 5 years for an Ober duplicator lathe? Do you even know what that is and why it is relevant here?

So go ahead, shitpost in my thread.
    But tell me why you make the comments you do.

You evidently did not read what I posted. It was about the reason these cost as much as they do. And I have had 3 GB SFA's and 2 had to be sent back for heat treat issues in the bit. Both were made by AS and both failed in the bit chopping some Osage orange. I have several HB and a couple of the Basque axes that i really like.

And for your info. I worked at MacLean Fogg for 15 years in the hot and cold forging of many parts that you probably use right now. And are on almost every semi truck in the world. We forged parts either cold or hot forging. I worked on every hydraulic and mechanical type of press we used. I made a lot of the forging dies for these presses. I made lots of the shear cutters that went onto these presses.

Sometimes there are others out there that knows more than you. Most of our presses started at 2000 Tons of force not a little ball peen hammer you have. lol!

Last edited:
    We actually had a version of a spring hammer that was used to shear 2" round bar for bolt blanks. But it was about 20x the size as you showed for your power hammer. Our was powered by 120hp electric motor.

Wow. Unbelievable.
    Been here since ‘07 and still don’t know the rules…or just don’t give a shit.

Prefacing with “I’m not here to shit on this thread but….” doesn’t change the fact you came to a for-sale thread and spewed you shitty opinion all over it.

Reactions: Draftpick
    I have a line on a huge batch, were talking 800 axes I can pull from. I am working the deal now so I'll let you guys know if it works out.

If anyone has a good source for handles let me know and if it pans out I'll send you a free axe for helping me out. I can get handles here and there but if I bought a big batch of these heads I am going to need a bunch of good handles at a good price. Birch handles are a plus.
    Following . . .

Just got a wood stove. First year heating the house with wood is this coming season so lots to learn.

Are these more of a splitting profile or a felling profile? Interested in both.

You seem to know your stuff so feel free to drop links or enlighten.

Reactions: MK20