• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Graphic Design Software

wnroscoe

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2006
NW Louisiana
I know it's way off base from the norm here but, I'm in the market for software that will allow me to edit pictures, publish a WWW and do some deisign work like a logo and other things.

I've used Corel Draw 9 but not to it's potential, I need something along those lines but maybe not as advanced. Any reccomendations, thanks.

Re: Graphic Design Software

My son does some great design work with Adobe Illustrator. Something with the lines and vectors in the software that makes them superior for some reason.

For logos, I use a combo of freehand, Illustrator, Photoshop and the Coral products depending on what I'm trying to accomplish.

For pics, I use Photoshop and Aperture.

For web, I code my own or typically sub it out because I hate doing sites.

You can get the CS5 suite and be able to take of everything you listed, but there is certainly a learning curve involved and the software isn't cheap.

** The vector stuff is superior because it is smooth and infinitely scalable. Vector turns a drawing into math and allows the designer to work without reservation or worry that the print house has access to the font you used in your design.

I used to use the Photoshop suite but when I got a new puter and compared buying Photoshop to simply using Gimp (a very nice and powerful Photoshop clone) for free I went with Gimp and haven't looked back. So far I haven't had any problems with Gimp but it wont process a few of my wackier fonts which is no biggie.

If you are new to Adobe products and don't have time for classes I would suggest buying the "Adobe in the classroom" book for which ever program you buy. They are extremely helpful. Why Adobe Illustrator works the way it does: Vector image vs. Raster image. Vector is based solely on math. Every time you zoom in or move a line the computer does a shit ton of math (which is why you need a fast computer to run it properly). Search "Bézier curve" for way more info then you want. A raster image is just pixels and all you can do is move them around and enlarge them which leads to rapid distortion.

For art work we use CS3, for vector work we use Flexisign Pro (which is about $4600)

Photoshop
Illsutrator
In Design