• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Grayboe Renegade and PTG DBM fitment issues?

CoyoteKilo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2017
Hey Guys,

Long story short, I finally got all the parts in to finish my project and hit a bit of a road bump. The PTG Stealth M5 DBM does not drop into the Grayboe Renegade I purchased. Everything I read online says the Grayboe is factory inlet to take M5 DBM, is it possible I got a stock that was not inlet properly or is it more likely the PTG bottom metal? Has anyone had these issues with a Grayboe Renegade or PTG bottom metal?

Mine fit perfectly. Grayboe does offer stocks in both M5 and BDL inlet. Is it possible you got one with a BDL inlet?

I sent Grayboe a message so hopefully they can get me a new stock out soon, I've waited weeks to get all this stuff in so im dying to shoot this thing and see how it does. It looks like the bottom is inlet for M5 DBM but it's just not opened up enough. The screw spacing seems to be right but theres about a 1/4" that needs further milled out on each side for the metal tabs to fit in. It's also just a tad not wide enough.

I bought a Grayboe Renegade DBM stock on Black Friday and got it delivered earlier this week.
While I expected to do some work to it, I really cant say that it lived up to online reviews and statements. Sure it was possible to put the barreled action in it, and with a bit of force push the bottom metal in place, bolt it down and go shoot.
But, there were chips of material missing around the pillar in the back at the tang, and around on the bottom of the front pillar. The recoil lug slot is big enough to fit a ham sandwich or two in it, and the bottom metal was a tight enough fit to chip the paint on the sides of the magwell yet there is a 2mm gap all around the front part, where the front action bolt goes through.
So, the solution was to brake out the files, and open up where it was needed, and the bed the action, which I did yesterday, and today I plan to bed the bottom metal.
Oh, and the recoilpad was glued on to the stock, that pissed me of a bit, as I am making a spacer for height adjustment...
I plan to repaint the whole thing, once I am done, I am glad I figured out that a new paintjob would probably be in order before I payed extra for one of their kryptech dip-jobs...

So, expect to do some work to it, at least, that is my experience.

Last edited:
Oh, and the recoilpad was glued on to the stock
Why in the fuck do they do that? Manners does the same thing and it's a cheap ass way to install a recoil pad. Put some decent hard fill back there and make a jig to install a pair of 6-40 threaded inserts.

308pirate; the recoil pad is actually both glued and bolted to the stock.
The bolts should have been enough.

308pirate; the recoil pad is actually both glued and bolted to the stock.
The bolts should have been enough.

Yes, it should have been. However, Manners doesn't use screws at all. The one on mine is just bonded on and it flat pissed me off when I went to add a spacer to increase LOP. There is absolutely no place for that in what's supposed to be a premium product.

Yes, it should have been. However, Manners doesn't use screws at all. The one on mine is just bonded on and it flat pissed me off when I went to add a spacer to increase LOP. There is absolutely no place for that in what's supposed to be a premium product.

Almost all composite stock manufacturers glue their pads on. Very few stock manufacturers have filler in the butt that has significant strength. Subsequently, bolting the pads on requires additional material/structure to be added into the butt beyond simply threaded inserts. Otherwise, the bolts would easily rip out of the stock. Epoxying the pads on resolves that issue. Additionally, I find that a glued on pad is ultimately a more robust means of securing the pads. Don't forget that Mcmillan makes hunting stocks as well. When light weight is a significant focus, adding material to the butt solely for screws to attach is counter to the issue.

Reactions: chevy327
FWIW: The Grayboe Renegade buttstock is hollow. The side walls are just under 1/2" thick and there's an air gap between them.

FWIW: The Grayboe Renegade buttstock is hollow. The side walls are just under 1/2" thick and there's an air gap between them.

That is not true, the entire stock is composite filled and vacuumed to ensure it's a homogenous fill with no voids. If your Renegade had an air pocket that would be an anomaly and you should contact them, I guarantee they would help you out based on my experience with them today.

UPDATE - I spoke with Grayboe's GM today named Jeff. He was extremely helpful and after sending him pics let me know that the company I bought my stock from accidentally sent me a BDL inlet stock and not a DBM inlet stock. He made sure to let me know that if the company wouldnt make it right he would make sure I received the correct stock, even if they had to send me another one and deal with it personally. This issue is not Grayboe or PTG's fault, I simply was sent the wrong stock. Can't wait to get my new renegade in and get it mounted.

Reactions: chevy327
CoyoteKilo; The Renegade buttstock is drilled and milled out by the looks of it. I can post a picture later today, as I have my recoil pad removed.
But there are plenty of material left around the top and bottom where the threads for the recoil pad bolts are.

Edit: This is what it looks like:
p5pb15450075.jpg

Last edited:
CoyoteKilo; The Renegade buttstock is drilled and milled out by the looks of it. I can post a picture later today, as I have my recoil pad removed.
But there are plenty of material left around the top and bottom where the threads for the recoil pad bolts are.

Thats surprising, id be interested to see. Everything ive read and even an interview ive seen with Grayboes owner says the stock is 100% homogenous and the use a proprietary method of vacuuming to ensure the entire stock is full and has no voids or air pockets. There are even people who are cutting out the stock to install riser hardware and ive never seen one hollow.

CoyoteKilo: I plan to cut mine and make my own cheek riser system for it. But it will require some extra work since its drilled out, but I figure that it can still be done.
Can you see the picture?

CoyoteKilo: I plan to cut mine and make my own cheek riser system for it. But it will require some extra work since its drilled out, but I figure that it can still be done.
Can you see the picture?

Very interesting, I stand corrected! Take a look at Taylor Precision's website. He hydrocuts the stocks and adds the hardware, he also sells them pre cut/installed. Might give you an idea of how to go about cutting your riser.

Very interesting, I stand corrected! Take a look at Taylor Precision's website. He hydrocuts the stocks and adds the hardware, he also sells them pre cut/installed. Might give you an idea of how to go about cutting your riser.

I have a Mcmillan A3-5 on my other rifle, so I plan to cut it similar to that. I will probably fill some of the void in the buttstock with acraglass or something similar. Right now, I have some regrets that I did not photograph the whole process, from bone stock to the finished bedded and cut stock. But on the other hand, if I know myself, this will not be the last stock I work on.

Almost all composite stock manufacturers glue their pads on. Very few stock manufacturers have filler in the butt that has significant strength. Subsequently, bolting the pads on requires additional material/structure to be added into the butt beyond simply threaded inserts. Otherwise, the bolts would easily rip out of the stock. Epoxying the pads on resolves that issue. Additionally, I find that a glued on pad is ultimately a more robust means of securing the pads. Don't forget that Mcmillan makes hunting stocks as well. When light weight is a significant focus, adding material to the butt solely for screws to attach is counter to the issue.

They may have their reasons, but they don't line up with my expectations. And at the end of the day, I make my buying decisions based on my expectations, not those of the stockmaker.

Update, bedding is done, both the action and the bottom metal. The raised recoil pad is also done. Right now I am trying to do a saddle type cheek rest out of fabric and epoxy. If it turns out well, I might just do another one but in carbon fiber instead.
more pictures will follow.