• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Grayboe Stocks?

Notdylan

Privates
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2017
Beechgrove, Tennessee
What's the word on Grayboe? I really like their new Ridgeback offering. Do they do well without bedding? Other than weight, any reason to choose a McMillan or Manners over them?

What's the word on Grayboe? I really like their new Ridgeback offering. Do they do well without bedding? Other than weight, any reason to choose a McMillan or Manners over them?

Grayboe makes good value stocks for the price. I had one for a Rem 700, never bedded it and I was still shooting .5-.75 MOA groups with hand loads. Only flaw was that the barrel channel was slightly off center at the very tip of the forend, but was still free floated plenty.

The McMillan and Manners stock will be much higher quality though. I really like the feel and finish of the fiberglass McMillan stocks over the Grayboe stocks. There are quite a few threads about these stocks, try searching around and you will see.

They are a good stock. I have two of them and neither rifle is bedded and both shoot well. I would try it first before bedding the rifle. I got the above poster beat. My rifle will shoot between his with factory ammo. :oops:
1WfacsO.jpg

I have one on a new 6mm Creedmoor build. It has the same channel problem as Xander but works fine. I had mine bedded and it shoots just great. For the dollar a good value. I have 2 Mcmillans and they seem better quality and lighter but cost more. I had to cut the DBM opening a little to make the PT&G work.

greyboe are probably the best value for money when it comes to stocks.

a little heavy, but theyre pretty bombproof.

im not a fan of the finish they use on them, mines chipping and flaking off.......i keep it covered in krylon so it doesnt really bother me any.

My custom came with the renegade and I loved it. I eventually upgraded to a chassis so I could really set it up to fit me perfectly but had no issues with the greyboe. Mine was bedded though. Like someone else noted though, the finish will chip some over time. Mine had one tiny chip from running barricades but it took a while. Don't think you can go wrong for the money though

They are a good stock. I have two of them and neither rifle is bedded and both shoot well. I would try it first before bedding the rifle. I got the above poster beat. My rifle will shoot between his with factory ammo. :oops:

Lol, as it should with a custom barreled action...

I love my McMillan Stocks and they are the best quality, but for the price the Grayboe is awesome. I am going to shoot my .308 with out being bedded and see how it is. In a couple of weeks I will bed it. Aluminum Pillars would be a nice upgrade, but I can put those in myself I guess.

Also noticed the barrel channel was a little off center, but a few passes with the bedding knife and it came out pretty nice.
IMG_1186.JPG
IMG_1507.JPG

I have a Grayboe Renegade and have done some mods to it, there is a thread about it in the equipment sub forum.
The Renegade does have aluminium pillars from the factory, you can run it without bedding, but why would you? The barrel channel in mine is also a bit off but not by that much.
It offers good value for money.

LOP is my only complaint with the grayboe stocks. A small piece of pvc insulating foam and some vet wrap takes care of the cheek piece for $5.

Never owned one, but I have looked at them a few times. Seems like a solid stock, especially for the price as stated above. My only complaints are that they don't inlet for lefty actions, and they only inlet for Remington clones...both are minor gripes from a guy in the minority, but they are a newer and growing company. Hopefully they expand there options to accommodate more down the road.

Hard to beat them for the price point for me. Wasn’t big on the Camo pattern it came with so gave it a krylon makeover. Bedded with Devcon to a factory Remington 5r mil-spec barreled action. 1/2 moa shooter. I’m pleased with it and have had McMillans as well. I’ll likely own another grayboe soon

Attachments

• 19134177-1418-43FC-8A84-0E109A622B4D.jpeg
    19134177-1418-43FC-8A84-0E109A622B4D.jpeg
    350.1 KB · Views: 349
I’m thinking about getting a Renegade but was wondering how a standard Palma barrel would fit and if not are they easy to work on to make bigger barrels fit?

The answer is yes. I have a Grayboe Renegade stock that I used the PT&G bottom metal. It had to be inletted a little more for the feed pickup to work properly, but it is just fine.

will the PT&G bottom metal work with the Renegade?
I am sure it will. The bottom metal from Stocky's fit perfectly and the bottom metal from mesa does as well. I haven't used PTG but it should be the same profile. The three renegades inletted for M5 bottom metal have all been inletted correctly. I have the lighter weight hunting model from grayboe as well inlettec for the bdl bottom metal and it matched up nicely also.

Reactions: Yoteski
I'm hearing a "it should" and a "It did after some additional in-letting"

I want to be able to drop it in and go, with no additional in letting.... anyone else?

I'm hearing a "it should" and a "It did after some additional in-letting"

I want to be able to drop it in and go, with no additional in letting.... anyone else?
The renegade stock is inletted to accept m5 bottom metal. PTG offers m5 bottom metal. It will work as it does in every other stock that accepts m5 bottom metal. No worries.

I'm talking about practical experience. The problem occurred. It never happened on my Mcmillan A5's. Would I worry. No. The inletting was minimal, but did not work as stated from Grayboe. I would still recommend their stocks, but I believe the Mcmillan A5 is better, but definitely costs more. The Grayboe Renegade is on sale for 20% off at Red Hawk Rifles.

I'm talking about practical experience. The problem occurred. It never happened on my Mcmillan A5's. Would I worry. No. The inletting was minimal, but did not work as stated from Grayboe. I would still recommend their stocks, but I believe the Mcmillan A5 is better, but definitely costs more. The Grayboe Renegade is on sale for 20% off at Red Hawk Rifles.
I believe you completely. I also believe that your experience is the exception and not the rule. I couldn’t see PTG making m5 bottom medal out of spec. Grayboe stocks are in spec from my experience. I am sure two products built on opposite extremes of acceptable tolerances sometimes don’t mesh. It happens.

I believe you completely. I also believe that your experience is the exception and not the rule. I couldn’t see PTG making m5 bottom medal out of spec. Grayboe stocks are in spec from my experience. I am sure two products built on opposite extremes of acceptable tolerances sometimes don’t mesh. It happens.

I have seen a PTG with a mag well that was taller than their pillars. That is probably out of spec.

Reactions: Graywolf.260
I bought a grayboe terrain stock when they were on sale for christmas. It is a decent stock, not quit as nicely finished out as i thought it would be from all the reviews. I ended up modifying it for a left hand long action. I was very suprised how soft the fiberglass was. It definately sanded/ground away much easier then the fiberglass epoxy I was using.

Turned out decent and gun shoots well. Only complaint I have is I thought they had a full length aluminum bedding block, but I don't think they do. I can squeeze the stock and barrel together, wouldn't think there would be that kind of flex in these stocks.... But hasn't seemed to affect accuracy.

Reactions: konjiki7
I'm running my 16.5" Remington 700 in a Greyboe and I've got no complains so far.
Getting .75" groups pretty consistently with FGMM 168gr which is fine with me (for now).

Yes, if you're talking about the STS.
You are like a guy I know. He will say something that either makes no sense or says something with absolutely no substance to where I then have to either reply to him to get more information to understand what he is alluding to or simply just ignore him. That being said, I will play along with you and ask the question to get the answer you should have provided in your post.... What did you think of the stock?

Reactions: PAYDIRT
You are like a guy I know. He will say something that either makes no sense or says something with absolutely no substance to where I then have to either reply to him to get more information to understand what he is alluding to or simply just ignore him. That being said, I will play along with you and ask the question to get the answer you should have provided in your post.... What did you think of the stock?
If you want to get particular you asked a vague question as Stocky has at least three "new" stocks, so my answer was my answer which make perfect sense. But you're just "one of those guys". You certainly don't need to respond with a sarcastic insult. So go pound sand buddy.

If you want to get particular you asked a vague question as Stocky has at least three "new" stocks, so my answer was my answer which make perfect sense. But you're just "one of those guys". You certainly don't need to respond with a sarcastic insult. So go pound sand buddy.
I didn’t ask about the stock originally, Paydirt did. I just responded to you. I could care less about the stock in question. The story I told is a true story and your post gave me flashbacks. I was just poking fun so don’t take my post personally. It’s just internet talk.

I didn’t ask about the stock originally, Paydirt did. I just responded to you. I could care less about the stock in question. The story I told is a true story and your post gave me flashbacks. I was just poking fun so don’t take my post personally. It’s just internet talk.

Yes, I see Paydirt asked. Well, no one wants bad flashbacks! No worries, all good.

I actually went by Red Hawk Rifles today to check out one of the Renegade stocks, first impression was as another had said is they feel bomb proof.
I am not a fragile or flimsy guy and when I gripped the stock by the forearm and grip and attempted to twist it with some force I saw zero perceived movement and no concern on the face of the nice gentlemen that handed the new stock out of the box when doing so.
The M5 bottom they sell also dropped right in with a very good fit, not loose in any way but without any perceived need for additional inletting or fitting.
My new Atlas action will be going into one of these and don't feel I am making a compromise in doing so.

I actually went by Red Hawk Rifles today to check out one of the Renegade stocks, first impression was as another had said is they feel bomb proof.
I am not a fragile or flimsy guy and when I gripped the stock by the forearm and grip and attempted to twist it with some force I saw zero perceived movement and no concern on the face of the nice gentlemen that handed the new stock out of the box when doing so.
The M5 bottom they sell also dropped right in with a very good fit, not loose in any way but without any perceived need for additional inletting or fitting.
My new Atlas action will be going into one of these and don't feel I am making a compromise in doing so.

That is going to be a nice setup, you will be happy with the atlas sitting in a grayboe. Might be worth having it bedded up nicely, it really does make a difference and I think that Atlas Tactical deserves it!

I recently bought a greyboe renegade and bottom metal from Red Hawk Rifles too. Can’t wait to drop my Nucleus action that I’m picking up tomorrow in it.

I love my McMillan Stocks and they are the best quality, but for the price the Grayboe is awesome. I am going to shoot my .308 with out being bedded and see how it is. In a couple of weeks I will bed it. Aluminum Pillars would be a nice upgrade, but I can put those in myself I guess.

Also noticed the barrel channel was a little off center, but a few passes with the bedding knife and it came out pretty nice.
View attachment 6886561View attachment 6886562
In regards to your plans, from the Grayboe web site:

"Do Grayboe stocks need to be bedded?

We haven’t seen any noticeable difference in accuracy between our stocks that are bedded or un-bedded."

"Do Grayboe stocks have pillars or mini-chassis molded in?

All Grayboe stocks are pillar bedded with aluminum pillars molded right into the stock."

I bought a grayboe terrain stock when they were on sale for christmas. It is a decent stock, not quit as nicely finished out as i thought it would be from all the reviews. I ended up modifying it for a left hand long action. I was very suprised how soft the fiberglass was. It definately sanded/ground away much easier then the fiberglass epoxy I was using.

Turned out decent and gun shoots well. Only complaint I have is I thought they had a full length aluminum bedding block, but I don't think they do. I can squeeze the stock and barrel together, wouldn't think there would be that kind of flex in these stocks.... But hasn't seemed to affect accuracy.
This is exactly what I was looking for. A fair assessment of the its strengths and weaknesses. Most descriptions of grayboe stocks construction are a little vague. A lot of articles in the gun community seem like extensions of a companies marketing team. With this stock being describe as bomb proof everywhere and very similar to its McMillan counterpart. I knew sacrifices had to be made somewhere to hit the price target. At $280 on sale and 350ish regular price its kinda in the B&C, KRG and Choate price range. I guess now have idea of how it compares to other options. Thanks for sharing GPR!

Last edited:
This is exactly what I was looking for. A fair assessment of the its strengths and weaknesses. Most descriptions of grayboe stocks construction are a little vague. A lot of articles in the gun community seem like extensions of a companies marketing team. With this stock being describe as bomb proof everywhere and very similar to its McMillan counterpart. I knew sacrifices had to be made somewhere to hit the price target. At $280 on sale and 350ish regular price its kinda in the B&C, KRG and Choate price range. I guess now have idea of how it compares to other options. Thanks for sharing GPR!
I have a Renegade on my 308 and think it's pretty solid. One thing regarding flex, even a McMillan A5 forend will flex with enough pressure applied. Less than a Grayboe? Maybe, probably. But it still will. With my Rem Varmint contour barrel I've never noticed forend contact with normal shooting off a bipod or bag. Even when I put downward pressure on my scope there was clearance. You can make them contact, but in my experience you have to actively try to.

But you are correct with your last point, with the KRG Bravo and some good B&C stocks in that price range the decision requires a little thought (I left out Choate because I think they're not near the same quality). I like the traditional A5 look and ergonomics, so I went with the Grayboe on this rifle. I also love my Bravo as well which is on a different build.

I have a Ridgeback. I like the wide forend, m-lok compatibility, aluminum pillars, and bubble level. I immediately bedded and bedazzled the stock. Mostly for looks. I like to tinker. I had to open up the barrel channel. I wish the palm/grip was about 3/4" longer.
It's a pretty solid stock, but the forearm does flex more than a chassis. I think the material dampens the reverberation, so recoil feels more like a "thud" vs a sharp shock of a full metal chassis. Very pleasant to shoot.
372BA9A6-09CB-4B9E-ADB7-B1FBDE3CB74E.jpeg

Reactions: wade2big
Its not the forearm thats flexing guys. Its the damn barrel itself. I believe I said that months ago in this same post.

Its not the forearm thats flexing guys. Its the damn barrel itself. I believe I said that months ago in this same post.
I'm saying, if you put the same barreled action in this stock, there is a little more flex when compared to a chassis.
The flex isn't bad like a plastic stock. Just a noticeable observation. However, I'm sure there is some barrel flex attributing to this observation.

Reactions: Earnhardt