• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Grayboe Tikka CTR question

TripleJ

Private
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2008
PHX, AZ
I just received a Grayboe Terrain stock for my Tikka CTR with factory CTR bottom metal. I really like the stock. It is a little rough compared to higher dollar options, but at $384 shipped I can’t complain.

I assembled as recommended torquing the action screws to 65 inch pounds. I then noticed that I could not fully seat a mag. It appears that there is not enough material between the bottom metal and the action. At 30 inch pounds the mag seats as it should, but not at 65. Also the mags seat correctly in the factory stock. I placed a call to Red Hawk Rifles, the distributors for Grayboe. They said that this is a very common problem with fiberglass stocks even McMillan and HS Precision. They said to use nylon washers to shim between the bottom metal and stock. They offered to send me the washers at no charge.

My question is, does this sound correct? I have never had to shim the bottom metal on a stock. I wonder what the point of molding pillars into a stock is if they are too short and do not contact the action and bottom metal. Just want to get some opinions from those who know more than me. I am relatively new to long range shooting.