• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Grease the bolt

Bungi

Private
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2012
I recently became aware of greasing the lugs on the bolt

What grease do you all use?

Any other areas on a bolt rifle that you use grease on?

I am a big oil guy on everything else (mostly Ballistol now) but the bolt guns get TW25. Seems to work but I didn't do extensive tests. A couple other greases I have used have been foisted upon me and failed at keeping self-loaders running well, esp in the freezing cold so I never looked further.

I use ALG Go-Juice (get the grease, not the oil), link below. Works fine in all my bolt guns. I've tried to use it in the past as a more durable corrosion protection instead of gun oil when taking a gun out in the weather, didn't seem to work any better or worse. Once a rifle gets stuffed into a pack and rucked a few miles, whatever I smeared on the action seems to rub off either way. Oh well.

Reactions: Ubaderb
I don’t even bother with anything else now.

Hornady one shot dry lube and that’s it. It improves the feel of any bolt gun.

Don’t overthink it. Little bit on the lugs, where the various parts cam together to cock the firing pin (at the back of the bolt/action body) and anywhere else where you see wear marks as time goes by.

I usually put a little on the major contact points and cycle the bolt a couple of times. Wipe anything that’s left on the bolt down to a thin layer and move on.

Don‘t put any on the bolt face, in the firing pin hole, on the extractor or ejector. No sense in inviting dirt to hang around in the little nooks that, if jammed, would cause a malfunction.

Attachments

• A8BA3926-592A-4757-B221-ECEA15CB0E99.jpeg
    A8BA3926-592A-4757-B221-ECEA15CB0E99.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 145
I don’t even bother with anything else now.

Hornady one shot dry lube and that’s it. It improves the feel of any bolt gun.

Holy hell. Every now and then I find something that utterly changes my mind, and this is one of those magical moments.

I have One-Shot, I use it to lube cases when sizing, but it has immediately become my new go-to lubricant/protectant, based on that website alone.

Thanks a ton @rydah, looking forward to trying it! If it doesn't work any better than my normal stuff, no loss, but it seems super promising!

Don’t overthink it. Little bit on the lugs, where the various parts cam together to cock the firing pin (at the back of the bolt/action body) and anywhere else where you see wear marks as time goes by.

I usually put a little on the major contact points and cycle the bolt a couple of times. Wipe anything that’s left on the bolt down to a thin layer and move on.

Don‘t put any on the bolt face, in the firing pin hole, on the extractor or ejector. No sense in inviting dirt to hang around in the little nooks that, if jammed, would cause a malfunction.
Any one not doing this... But then again, may be I'm just poor.

Put whatever grease you want on it, it doesn’t really matter. What matters more important is field stripping and cleaning the bolt regularly.

EWG grease is what I use. Best anti-galling properties out there in a gun grease, we use it to fit 1911 slides/frames as well.

Keeping the mating surfaces clean is important though, or you’ll be lapping your lugs at the range.

Best stuff I have yet to find, full synthetic and has tons of molly in it, stays put like it is suposed to in race engines it was designed to be used in. Thin enough not to give you problems when it's cold out.

Attachments

• red-80312_xc_xl.jpg
    red-80312_xc_xl.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 366
A dab on the rear of the lugs, nothing on the front. In the raceway for the cocking ramp and on the cam rear top.
Most importantly keeping it clean. Inside the locking lugs.
A dash from the dipstick of your car works in a pinch. I use a molly type auto grease.

Reactions: lash and 308pirate

I use this on anything that is "steel-to-steel" ... and oil on things like springs. This stuff lasts "forever" (almost), and stays in place really well. Works beautifully on bolt lugs.

Thanks, Max -- That is a great video -- explains it clearly.

Thanks to all for the recommendations

I will be greasing and cleaning the bolt from this day forward -- Just got a nice custom-action rifle, so this is right on time

Reactions: Holliday
The one shot I’m going to try for sure! Especially on buddies rifles that aren’t coated with the fancy custom action finished 👌🏼

I use bore tech’s HD grease. Just a little on the lugs and sliding areas. Lubricating only the contact areas also helps debris from sticking as there isn’t a surplus of jizz in there. Keeps things cleaner when in the field.

Put whatever grease you want on it, it doesn’t really matter. What matters more important is field stripping and cleaning the bolt regularly.

EWG grease is what I use. Best anti-galling properties out there in a gun grease, we use it to fit 1911 slides/frames as well.

Keeping the mating surfaces clean is important though, or you’ll be lapping your lugs at the range.
^ This, Slip2K EWG goes on my bolt gun bolts and pistol slide rails. I used to use Tetra and it worked fine too. I have mostly moved from Eezox to One Shot where the main concern is cleaning and corrosion protection.

Thanks, Max -- That is a great video -- explains it clearly.

Thanks to all for the recommendations

I will be greasing and cleaning the bolt from this day forward -- Just got a nice custom-action rifle, so this is right on time
Just keep it out of the bolt face. This is a great tip on the ejector if you have this style. Just make sure and wipe the face clean so as not to increase pressure or contaminate primers.

Reactions: Sblzrd65
Uhhhh...... y'all grease your bolts? 😶

I just put a light coat of Lucas extreme gun oil all over it, massage it in, and call it good....

Reactions: LV Precision
well I used cheap ass play sand like fine powdered sugar and while it was gritty and rough for a while as well as crunchy , It's all polished and smooooth now like glass , zero friction :unsure: :ROFLMAO:
I was gonna say I just use 600 grit lapping compound. After a while, it feels like your not even closing or opening a bolt.

Reactions: acudaowner
Full synthetic motor oil.

Cheap, plentiful, great moisture and corrosion resistance properties, excellent shear strength qualities, and a great ability to trap particulates and hold them in suspension.

Full synthetic auto grease works awesome as well, and I use it on the slide rails on my pistols as well.

Reactions: BLEE
Holy hell. Every now and then I find something that utterly changes my mind, and this is one of those magical moments.

I have One-Shot, I use it to lube cases when sizing, but it has immediately become my new go-to lubricant/protectant, based on that website alone.

Thanks a ton @rydah, looking forward to trying it! If it doesn't work any better than my normal stuff, no loss, but it seems super promising!
You’re welcome.

The one shot dry lube is pretty amazing. A mate brought over a new ultimatum deadline this morning to show me and it felt good with whatever factory lube they had on it. Cleaned it with a micro fibre cloth and sprayed some one shot in the action and on the bolt and it immediately felt better. So easy, simple and doesn’t attract or collect sand and dust like other products. I’m a big fan.

Reactions: Eric32
MIL-L-46000 smells awesome. And it works great in M61A1's....

I've used that stuff for years. Getting hard to find any more.

Lucas red-n tacky #2
It's great where I live in Ohio as it stays put does an excellent job of lubrication. I expect the western guys who have to deal with bunch of sand and grit blowing around probably need entirely different solutions.

I use Pro gold on the lugs just place my finger on it and it’s tacky enough plenty comes up for a bolt. I think it’s a 1 ounce little thing and i haven’t made a dent in 3 years

I use CMD Extreme Pressure on my break-actions, nothing on my nitride/DLC actions, and a bit of Hoppes Elite Gun Oil on bare/cerakote actions. For the most part, it really doesn’t matter, and I’m more in the “avoid collecting dirt and dust in sensitive areas” camp than the “make it super slick” camp.

I've had a tub of Lubriplate forever now. Anything needed grease that isn't specific, I put a little of that on and done.

Never a problem. Does newer stuff exist? Sure.

Jet Lube MP-50. Organo clay base with stupid high moly content. Intended for use in extremely high pressure, slow moving applications.

View attachment 7740403

Working in a batch today in fact! Anyone need some premium filtered dead hooker oil for their AI? See ad in the UGPX.

Sirhr
Seriously you guys are retarded!!!! For an AI you have to use Virgin / Organic. You can't use regular hooker!!!!
Fucking amateur!!!

Best stuff I have yet to find, full synthetic and has tons of molly in it, stays put like it is suposed to in race engines it was designed to be used in. Thin enough not to give you problems when it's cold out.

This is very good assembly lube & I use it sparingly on high pressure points for new bolt lugs & cocking cams.

It is not full synthetic. As can be seen below it's Petroleum based with light paraffin + Moly. This is actually better for high pressure or point contact situations where mating/break in needs to take place.

1636919223993.png

Attachments

• 1636919185307.png
    1636919185307.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 37
The article testing 46 products is good, but from 2014.
There are newer products out.

This for example seems so far to be pretty damn good. 1 spray on bolt, cocking cams, and trigger sear. Let it dry for 2 minutes & let it rip.
Also good for inside of mags. I don't have much experience with it yet. A good PRS shooter turned me on to this. He swears by it & I'll be trying it out over the next few months.

The lubricant is aerosolized in a fast evaporating isopropyl carrier.

Although it goes on wet in about a minute it acts more like a dry film lubricant.

Another newer option is the PolyDyn 2A Lube. It's very good. Polymer based & formulated specifically for firearms applications. It stays put better then anything else of similar viscosity I've tried. I've been using it on bolt lugs & pistol slides about a year now. Also great for things like adjustable gas blocks etc.

I think the only place it's available is amazon.

IMG_6640.jpg

I use EWG because it's what I've got on hand. I might try something else when I run out.

well I used cheap ass play sand like fine powdered sugar and while it was gritty and rough for a while as well as crunchy , It's all polished and smooooth now like glass , zero friction :unsure: :ROFLMAO:
Hey @acudaowner this sounds just crazy enough to work. My problem is I'm having a tough time finding "ass play sand" at any price point. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: Milf Dots