• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Grease?

MikeT

Howdy
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2013
Certain type of grease to use on your precision rifle? I have a tube of dow33 kicking around, but want to make sure it's safe to use of my Rem700.

Thanks!

I'm not sure it matters. I've used white lithium and it seems to work. I bought some mil spec molybdenum grease for working on AR's, and that works well too. The important part is to use something.

Go to Wilson Combat wilsoncombat.com Grease ULTIMA-LUBE II Oil ULTIMA-LUBE II It is the best I have found. On their bottle it says quote: contains slickest substance known to man

I always put a small amount of wheel bearing grease on the locking lugs of my 700. Never had an issue. I also use a small amount on my pistol slide rails.

Great comments about the wheel bearing grease and the importance of a medium. Their is a lot of argument about what works and doesn't, I don't partake. Because a bolt system doesn't create the heat an auto system does we don't need to worry as much about thermal breakdown. Bearing grease is nice because it is thick, vicious and can be applied easily. The other nice thing about bearing grease (My team, and several others continue to use over in A-stan) It keeps the dirt off the metal and is easy to take off with just a shirt sleeve or sock! Above all, remember whatever you choose, use it consistently, its the only way to ensure accuracy.

It's my opinion that expensive gun greases are unnecessary.

My special formula for all my guns is about a 50/50 mixture of high-temp wheel bearing grease and 5W20 motor oil. It creates a thinner grease with excellent lubricity that also stays put like thicker grease does. Doesn't glob up or thicken up in cold temps, either, at least down to about 10 degrees. I call it "grape jelly" because it looks like grape jelly. About $8 for both ingredients and should last me for 20 years with the amount it makes. :D

Of course there are areas of rifles and pistols that still require good ol' gun oil and nothing thicker.

Last edited:
The honest truth is that people put far too much thought into this. There is not one grease or oil to rule them all.