• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

greasing the bolt?

Dantrom

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2009
northwest ohio
Hi everyone, I'm a new member here but have been refering to these forums for all of your input on related topics for a while now. I have been shooting for several years and have recently bought a remington sps tactical 308 and was told without instuction that I should be greasing the bolt on my bolt action rifles. I have always kept the bolts oiled upon cleaning but have never used any type grease.

Does anyone have any input on this matter and if so instructions of what would be the proper way to go about doing this?

Re: greasing the bolt?

No grease here, only bolts I have ever greased were on my Garands and M1A's. Light coat of oil/lube is all I ever use on my bolt rifles.

FYI, the contact points are the rear faces of the bolt lugs. The camming face is usually located on the top of the front face of the receiver groove that the bolt handle travels in during its vertical movement. Typical automotive white grease will work fine, as will any grade of gun grease.

The grease is used as an insurance policy, as a hot load can gaul the bolt lugs, injuring the smooth finish, making bolt lug contact and bolt maniplation problematic.

Grease will also attract grit, so cleaning the bolt lugs and locking recesses in the receiver is a good thing to do periodically. I clean this stuff and reapply fresh grease each time I shoot and clean my rifles. Just a wee wipe on the rear faces of the bolt lugs is enough.

Greg

You want to grease the bolt ramp and bolt lugs. I used my bench gun for these pics because the action has a steel insert where the bolt ramp hits the action. This is the area you will want to grease to prevent gauling. Also, you will want to oil the bolt lugs as Greg described to prevent gauling there as well. I do not oil or grease any other part of the bolt to prevent dirt accumulation.

6mmbolt002.jpg

6mmbolt003.jpg

I've occasionally used Tetra White Gun Grease on my old milsurps, especially my K98k (but I'm not sure it is any better than a very thin coat of oil carefully applied with a brush)

I use Tetra, but even Wallyworld Super Tech Automotive White Grease in the aerosol can will work. Use the plastic tube thingie, squirt some on a small area of a rag, and give the lugs' rear faces a nice substantial schmear.

For cleaning the lug recesses, all manner of mysterious widgets have been devised and marketed, but all I do is give the recesses several schpritzes with aerosol Brake Cleaner (need I say it, Wallyworld Super Tech brand...), and daub it all up each time. Eventually, it all comes away clean as a steam whistle.

Greg

My action got all gummed up, BOLTRIPPER gave me some "SuperLube" this stuff is amazing, and does not attrack dirt at all, I couldn't find any local so bought 2 tubes off of Egay for 16 delivered

Lubricant... more like lubri-can.

I tried some grease (the stuff the came with a sig pistol) on my bolt and it did fine. Thats was until I shot in below freezing temps, then it was gummed up and hard to manipulate the bolt. I've since switched to the hornady one-shot spray lube. It also works good but haven't shot it cold yet. We'll see this winter.

Thank you everyone for you input, it greatly appreciated. I think I'm getting a general idea here.
So, If one decided not to use grease (for fear of unwanted dirt buildup.) and continued to use hoppes gun oil, is it likely that I would then be very likely to be facing guilded surfaces on my bolt contact points? Or would the majority of you agree that as long as the contact points are oiled upon every cleaning there should never be any major issues?

Use grease. Oil is too thin and will wear off and will collect anything grease will.
P1010040-1.jpg

Wear is natural and actually advantageous, as wearing-in will generally result an more bolt lug contact area, which is a good thing. Some folks even lap-in their bolt lugs to increase this bearing surface, but it should only be attempted if you genuinely know what you're doing, because overdoing it can adversely affect headspace.

Greg

I use this shit!I get it at a good price.

AeroShell Grease 33MS
Synthetic Grease for Aircraft Containing Molybdenum Disulfide
An extreme pressure (EP) grease
Meets MIL-G-21164D
P/N 08-00824
$18.75
AeroShell Grease 33MS is an extreme pressure (EP) grease based on the proven lithium complex technology of AeroShell Grease 33, and is fortified with 5% Molybdenum Disulphide. The benefits of Grease 33MS include: Improved anti-wear and corrosion resistance over AeroShell Grease 17; It is fully compatible with AeroShell Grease 33, so reduces the risks and problems associated with misapplication; Load carrying and EP properties equal to that of the well established AeroShell Grease 17; Fully approved to MIL-G-21164D. It possesses enhanced anti-wear and anti-corrosion properties and is particularly suitable for lubricating heavily loaded sliding steel surfaces, such as, for example, bogie pivot pins on aircraft landing gear-assemblies. AeroShell Grease 33MS is a direct alternative to AeroShell Grease 17, but when changing from (clay-based) ASG 17 to (Li-complex based) ASG 33MS, the normal rules on grease changing should be applied.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tried Aeroshell 33, I perfer Super Lube. </div></div>

I would hope you would have! LOL I have tried every moly B product I can get my hands on. Maybe I should try this SUPER LUBE.