• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Great review of the Nighforce ATACR

Haven't met a customer yet that hasn't been happy. I know that KillShot is liking his. NF has already exceeded how well they though the ATACR was going to be received in the community. To be honest I wasn't sure how well the scope was going to do, but after fielding it I'm a believer.

I'm am surprised on the lack of chatter about the new MIL-R.

Still have inventory if anyone is wanting to pick one up. Give myself or Jay a shout if you have any more questions.

Great review!

nightforce atacr rifle scope

They are awesome I put one the crusader this morning and I was very impressed.

great article, personally i'm still going to wait in the hope they release a FFP model

great article, personally i'm still going to wait in the hope they release a FFP model

Not gonna happen, according to NightForce. I was gonna hold out for the same thing and according to them, the BEAST is the FFP model of the ATACR with a few added features.

In Jeff's review.....he references the line thickness of the MOAR as .140moa in the ATACR when it is .110moa.

The 15x MOAR is .140 and the 22x is .125.

Not gonna happen, according to NightForce. I was gonna hold out for the same thing and according to them, the BEAST is the FFP model of the ATACR with a few added features.

Mate did NF mention if they soon offer different reticle? Ive been saving for atacr but i like a thiner ret if posible

Hey KillShot, any idea when the BEAST will be available? Anyone hear of a reliable timeframe?

Hey KillShot, any idea when the BEAST will be available? Anyone hear of a reliable timeframe?

The last I heard/read was sometime this Summer to early Fall. One of the guys at SportOptics.com, Chris or Jay, would be able to give you a better idea. Sorry I'm not more help than that. :confused:

No worries. I actually found a SHOT video after digging around and the NF rep said May/June would be first shipments.....so probably add a bit of time to that just to be safe. I'm an FFP guy so it's got my attention. NF is definitely stepping their game up after falling behind the curve a little bit IMO. Good stuff indeed.

Thanks LL. It'll be interesting to hear the first impressions once they hit the ranges/field.

I finally got to fondle a ATACR at 2A Sales and Supplies in Jessup, MD this weekend. WOW! If I didn't have such a strong desire for FFP or if I built another rifle it would get an ATACR without question. You have come to expect a certain level of quality from nightforce and this time they have exceeded it.

Be just my luck that they will announce an updated MOAR reticle with .062moa center cross hair two weeks after i order one for my ELR rifle build...

Be just my luck that they will announce an updated MOAR reticle with .062moa center cross hair two weeks after i order one for my ELR rifle build...

+1 only reason im not ordering mine yet for updated finer ret.moar with .062 crosshair hell yeah!!!

Where are you guys getting the idea that there will be an "updated smaller reticle" for the MOAR? As far as I've seen and read, there is nothing of the sort.

I too read Jeff's review on LRH and was really impressed. I bought a 300 win mag just so I could buy one of these!

Where are you guys getting the idea that there will be an "updated smaller reticle" for the MOAR? As far as I've seen and read, there is nothing of the sort.

I'm not getting that idea, but it is the second most common complaint, next top not being offered in ffp. We have gotten the idea that they are listening to the consumer in that regard, so its not foolish to think they are listening to the complaint of the thick reticle. I'm petty sure changing that design would take a while, so I'll take a gamble anyway. I'm dealing with the tmr reticle on a ffp Leopold that has pretty thick crosshairs at 20x so it can't be that bad on a sfp.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

The S&B P4F reticle subtends 0.035 mr (~0.12 MOA), and your so-called "updated MOAR" would be about half that. IIRC, the MOAR subtends 0.11 MOA at 25x, just slightly thinner than the P4F. At 2kyd, 0.062 MOA is about 1.5 inches and 0.11 MOA is about 2.8 inches. Are you shooting silver dollars at 2kyds and need an "updated MOAR"? I disagree with the assessment that the MOAR reticle center cross is too thick.

PS The PR Gen 2XR reticle subtends 0.025mr (0.086 MOA); I don't know of any 'tactical" reticles that subtend as little as 0.062 MOA (0.018mr) for comparison.

Last edited:
The S&B P4F reticle subtends 0.035 mr (~0.12 MOA), and your so-called "updated MOAR" would be about half that. IIRC, the MOAR subtends 0.11 MOA at 25x, just slightly thinner than the P4F. At 2kyd, 0.062 MOA is about 1.5 inches and 0.11 MOA is about 2.8 inches. Are you shooting silver dollars at 2kyds and need an "updated MOAR"? I disagree with the assessment that the MOAR reticle center cross is too thick.
i have 4nf total 1 R1 2 R2 and one moar and i wish i could put moar and R1 together.(finer center cross) everyone is different its myth when someone say " you aim smal you miss small" but what if thats a facts?im not saying chances to miss on thicker cross is greater but i like to aim on small bullseye,centering it insted of blocking the bullseye makes me more comfortable(all in the mind maybe) i like to hear "clang" on a metal target at a good distance and never need a fine crosshair for that. is where i use my moar.like i said everyone is diff everyone has their owen pref.and what theyre using it for. your into hitting target im into hitting it centered.i think moar is great but if they will make another one with the .062 crosshair specialy on atacr..you bet i brake my daughters piggy bank.:)
im sure on not alone on that upgrade.ive seen numerous complain on the thicker crosshair..again, its a nightforce theres no right or wrong on buying and owning several

I am a new guy with two MOAR. I have always used a fine cross hair duplex inside 400yds.
As a beginner, the first thing I notice is that the reticle is a bit heavy on an IPSC steel at 1000. My miss however is super easy to correct. So, I have come to the conclution that I was used to the pin point aming sight picture. I will still be using a finer reticle inside 400 on P.Dogs. Im used to it. Farther out, I will keep the MOAR . I get it.

The only similarity of the prescription in the BEAST and the ATACR is that they utilize the latest ED Glass Technology. That is the only way in which they are the same. They both produce phenomenal end results as does our new Competition 15-55x52.

As for a thinner version of the MOAR, it was intended from the very beginning to introduce a thinner MOAR if the MOAR proved to be successful - as it has been. I expect that you will see that by SHOT 2014.

As for a FFP variant of the ATACR; if it can be done to our quality standards and be delivered at a competitive price point, we will make one. The problem is that its not just as simple as moving the reticle in the erector tube and calling it Front Focal Plane. If it were, it would be a no-brainer.

I apologize to those of you that feel as if these things don't happen fast enough. They don't happen fast enough for me either. The good news is that there are lots of things in constant works behind the scenes and the majority of the concerns raised are being addressed when possible. Unfortunately they just happen at a different pace than what is perceived to be acceptable by some.

All in all, the families of Nightforce Optics are truly grateful and thankful for those that support the Nightforce Brand. Without you, we would not be possible. Quality over quantity always has been our goal and that will not change.

After reading all the good reviews of the ATACR I purchased one yesterday from Sport Optics.

How thick are the cross hairs compared to a loopy tmr reticle on a ffp scope at 20x? I'm trying to get a sense of how thick it is. I currently have a mk4 with the tmr. The crosshares at 20x are as thick as I'd want any reticle to be. The instruction sheet for it is confusing, listing different thicknesses, in mils, for different magnifications. Yet I'm quite certain it subtends the same amount for any magnification on a ffp scope.
Best i can guestimate, going off memory, is the crosshares subtend about .06mils(.205 MOA). If the MOAR crosshares subtend only .140 MOA that's an improvement over what i have now. Can't wait to get the scratch together for one!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Just sighted in mine today... this thing is AMAZING! Glass was crystal clear even in lower light when the sun started to go down. Had no problem seeing all the 308 holes at 100 yards and with the MOAR/MOA it was super easy to dial in and dead on!

The ATACR is a really nice scope. In my opinion, the reticle thickness is about perfect.

.11 or .14, doesn't really matter, sorta splitting some awfully fine hairs there.

During the ELR shooting, Jeff was running the scope at 20X or so, might have even been all the way up. I dialed it back to 12X to pick up some FOV, had no trouble bisecting sub-moa targets.