• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Great Team Match!! is Full 3-1/2 months in advance (get on wait list) -- 2 person Team Match - Field Style its on!!

Diver160651

Who cares
Minuteman
  • Feb 7, 2013
    La Honda
    1 day Team Field Style Match in Central California, just off Highway, in Avenal CA.

AD.jpg

Natural terrain will make shooting off a bipod rather hard for some of the targets...

The Date set for a 2 person Team match similar to what Carl Taylor is doing up in Washington with the SH Cup. But a MUCH lower key 1 day match. The idea is to make this good practice for a larger match or the ideal first field style match for the shooter. Mostly want this to be fun..

It would be cool if a bunch of Hide guys came and filled the spots... we only have 8 more team spots left!

We plan to keep the match tiny anyway. Maybe 16 teams. The date we have available is Sunday, November 24, 2019 @ 7:00 AM ~ If you are interested, even without a partner, please sign up below --

Here is our link to the Practiscore sign up -
    Here is the basic plan subject to change
    -Saturday Optional:​
    -BBQ hamburgers and hot dogs Saturday Night (Weather depending)​
    -Free Camping​
    -NRL 22 match on Saturday evening (sign up via practiscore run as a separate event)​
    -There will be 8 stages.​
    -UKD - Unknown Distance Range it find it - shoot it ( Range finders are fine and most stages will have a known size if you'd rather use a reticle)​
    -Time will be shared between team members, but should be very generous if the team is organized, shooters will work together​
    -Round count somewhere around 160 per team.​
    -All natural terrain like you might find hunting in the foothills, side-slopes, down-slopes, dead space problems-- so tripods are recommenced as are shooting sticks
    -Tripods, shooting sticks, Packs whatever you want to ruck up the hills will be fine.​
    -The course requires between 2-4 miles of hiking depending on the starting position​
    -You can share gear, but sharing tripods will cause you to be less effective with your time management.​
    Fee for early sign up (practiscore) fee will be $60 paid when you check in, going to $75 or $100 as we get closer.
    Parctiscore sign up is free, but you do need an set up a quick account. You can sign up for any match, but this particular match is Team Challenge Unknown Distance Long Range Match

You can find all out matches by going to Practiscore.com, selecting "Matches" at the top, Then "checking" "California" on the left under State, Then "checking", "Avenal" under City.

Last edited:
    I'm interested, have the date blocked.

Would need a partner, guidance, and maybe some equipment.

Reactions: Diver160651
    The team match is on!

I know it is a ways out, but if you are thinking of going, please sign up..

The field firing positions will look similar to the image in the opening post. Note how prone might not clear the rise. This will be similar to hunting so you'll want shooting sticks, tripod, a really tall pack and even with the pack, some targets might be hard to see .

Let us know if you are looking for a partner..

Especially if you want to squad up with a new shooter and show me the way! This will be a blast, the range is awesome, and the guys are all really cool and willing to help.

Can't make it as much as I'd live to, pictures when it happens please.

Especially if you want to squad up with a new shooter and show me the way! This will be a blast, the range is awesome, and the guys are all really cool and willing to help.

I unsquadded with you and took the number 9 squad FYI. You should have a chance to meet some of the better shooters next match and get a squad with them. September should be a blast!

Reactions: seansmd
    The team match is on!

I know it is a ways out, but if you are thinking of going, please sign up..

The field firing positions will look similar to the image in the opening post. Note how prone might not clear the rise. This will be similar to hunting so you'll want shooting sticks, tripod, a really tall pack and even with the pack, some targets might be hard to see .

Let us know if you are looking for a partner..
    [/QUOT
    Seansmd is looking for a shooter to pair with, he's got squad 7

We have a long time to the team match.. I have a few guys that are interested and need partners.. We'll get it sorted out... Also I might have a spin up day for anyone who hasn't shot a team match.

In the meantime, the most important piece of gear after your standard rifle/dope for a single shooter to have, is a tripod or really good tall shooting sticks..

Some of the hills will have dead space ie items that block the line of site to the target from a low or kneeling position, so the bipod just will not be high enough.

Still 4 months to go, but only a few spots left...

A couple guys looking for partners- let me know

Possibly looking for one shooter. I think we have teams on a wait list, but one guys partner needed to drop out.

Let me know if your interested

Hello,

We will be sending out an update shortly. Check your practicescore emails this week. I’ll also try to copy the email here.

it should be a fun match!!!!

Reactions: Mk32784
    I am typing this as fast as I can while waiting for a client please forgive misspellings or any other nonsensical typing.. I do not have time to proof. I am sending this note because I've gone into most of these field UKD matches blind and wished someone would laid a bit of context for my first match of this type. This is just a general informal overview, during the safety and shooter brief, you will learn more. I will also send this via Praciscore.

Again, Tripod or Shooting sticks that can work to standing height, will be Key. Some stations would be very difficult to shoot all the targets without such a field support.

Each shooter MUST attend the Safety Brief Sunday morning no exceptions. NDs or violation of the safety rules outlined in the Safety brief are a DQ- no exceptions; don't rush so fast you make a mistake..

Terrain:
    It is hilly and the grass can be slippery. Expect the FFPs to mostly be angled, some are rather steep. It suggest robust hiking boots/shoes so you can edge into the soft Avenal hill sides. Hills and bushes will cause many shots to be best taken form an elevated position in order to see the targets from the small defined FFP.

Weather:
    • Expected weather is Sunny, Temp mild between 70° and 50° and Baro is always about 28.9inHg on the hill. The wind is expected to be very light by Avenal standards at about 8mph in the afternoon.. That said, who knows..

Shooter Brief:
    • Approximately 7:30am

Round Count:
    • 80 per shooter/160 per team

Time:
    • Each team will have 8 minutes to enter the shooting area, find, range and engage targets. NO GLASSING OF ANY KIND IS ALLOWED UNTIL YOUR TEAM IS ON THE CLOCK.

Staging Areas:
    • This are defined by white flags as well as paint (that will wear off). These areas for the most part are not close to the FFP. This is so that it is harder to gain advantage by being the last team to shoot the station. All safety rules, ECI (empty chamber indicators) must remain in your gun at all times, until your are in the shooters box and during the make ready command. Guns must be pointed down range or as otherwise indicated in a safe direction. Note: Stages 6 & 7 share a staging area.

Stations/Stages:
    • Teams will only get about 1 minute to review the COF with the RO​
    • Station/Stage areas have FFPs defined by 4 or more pink surveying flags marking the boundaries for the teams to shoot within. Image to be included.​
    •There are 8 stations, with 5 targets each.​
    • Each shooter will engage up to 5 targets with two rounds each, after they have found them and ranged them. The COF and shooter engagements will vary by stage. One stage might have the first shooter shoot 2 rounds at all 5 targets before the teammate can start, another might have the team shooters alternate shots on targets etc. There will be several combinations, some will repeat on another station allowing you make adjustments.​
    • Teams that shot the stage already will be asked to help spot. More below​
    • To start all gear must be in hand, mag out bolt back.​
    • Once the clock starts shooters may glass, range etc.​
    The shooter and ALL gear must be inside the pink flags and orange perimeter in order to be looking thru the scope or shooting.​
    ANY CHANGE in physical position or in tripod height/shooting stick height, once the gun is on the device, must have the mag out and bolt back. (tip choose your setup wisely the first time)​
    • The guns must be cleared, mag out bolt back and ECI inserted before leaving the shooting area.​

Targets/Scoring:
    • 280 possible points per team – Value is on first round hits​
    • First round hits on the "easier" targets are worth 2 points and the second round hit 1pt. This is true for both shooters in the team. All Targets are scored this way unless listed as "Unmarked/harder to find".​
    • First round hits on the "unmarked or harder to find targets" are worth 3 points with the second round being worth 2pts​
    The COF clearly lists the targets that are 3/2 point values​
    The COF for each stage will be posted at the FPP.
    • Shooters MUST follow the COF.​
    • Shooters may skip targets if they wish, but they are scored a zero. If you choice to skip a target or targets you must tell the RO and tell them the new target before engaging.​
    • Impacts on the incorrect target are misses. If you shot all targets out of order, you'd still zero the stage. You can not go back and reshoot a missed or skipped target.​
    • It is the team's responsibility to ensure the RO is on the correct targets..​
    • Most stages will have 4 very clearly marked easy to find targets, with 1 target unmarked and much harder to find (higher point value for impacts).​
    RO's can confirm an unmarked target, but will NOT help you find one. BTW we encourage you to confirm your unmarked target with the RO's​
    • Unmarked targets will all have hints listed on the COF. Example below​
    Unmarked/harder to find target
    T5 Large round (plate type)​
    Landmark: Behind the ridge of barrels 21 and 24​
    Rough azimuth: 340°​
    Between distances: 800 and 900y​
    • At least 1 stage will have ALL unmarked targets and one stage all clearly marked.​
    • While most targets are 2MOA, we also mixed in overly generous sized targets and a couple that will appear to be on the smaller side, but actually shoot larger than they look because of the bullet loop (hint)​
    • We have a few very large plates for a couple of the targets, if you choose to shoot a small caliber like a 6br or 224 do NOT argue that you could see the impact in your 25x scope when the ROs did not. It all evens out at the end of the day, bigger calibers are harder to shoot but impacts are clearly visible.​
    • We do not use tons of T-posts so the classical low T-post impact often called an "edge hit" LOL isn't as big an issue as it is in some matches, but be aware that we are looking for plate impacts and do not expect the RO to be challenged.​

Squads:
    • Squads will be made of approximately 3 teams,​
    • Each team will rotate shooting order thought the day. The first team up on the station will shoot last the next station and the teams that shot 2 & 3rd will now shoot 1st and 2nd, repeating the process throughout the match.​
    • The team that just finished the stage, will remain near to the FFP for that stage and help spot for the next team to shoot. The last team to shoot in that squad will wait for the next squad and rejoin their squad at the next staging area once their spotting is complete.​
    • Squads on deck are expected to have all their gear at the ready so that can quickly walk to their FFP once the RO waives them up.​
    • Please be ready, a couple extra min per team, per stage really adds up. – everyone want to get home as early as possible :)

Example of a staging area
    Unknown-14.jpeg

Example of an FFP – tripod not in FFP box
    FFP1.png

Last edited:
    What an amazing time today at the unknown distance match! @Diver160651 and @Jabot and @Swoodhouse19 did a great job hosting and setting up the event.

EDIT: I forgot my shooting partner's hide name @mmlook, great shooting with you, this was our first time shooting together and first time shooting a field match. It was a blast, it took us a couple of stages to align on communication but we really ended up doing well for me, and by the end we were leaving too much time on the clock.

9Dollls and Dave Castro took first place!

20191124_141108.jpg
    20191124_141044.jpg
    20191124_141020.jpg
    20191124_141013.jpg
    20191124_105120.jpg
    20191124_080815.jpg

Last edited:
    Thanks everyone that showed up to participate or volunteer their time. The RO's did great! This match was definitely different than anything we have tried before. Jim did an amazing job creating a challenging COF and setting up the course with Jon. We will be trying at least two team style events a year moving forward.