• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Green Eotech reticle with color blindness

jb0311

Professional Button Pusher
Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2019
    NC
    Going to pick up an new exps soon and was thinking of going with the green reticle but unsure how my color blindness will affect me picking up the reticle. Couldn’t find any reviews on that so figured I’d ask. Won’t be able to return it as it would be purchased through their pro sales. I don’t necessarily doubt I’ll be able to “acquire” the green reticle, just wondering if it’s still a worthwhile upgrade for us red/green colorblind folks.

If no one on here can provide any insight to that I’ll probably just pick one up and report back as I have pretty extensive use with the traditional red reticle.

Can't help you with the Eotech green/red but a while ago I was playing with a Browe (similar to an ACOG) and they offered a light blue reticle. I liked the looks of it, and guy there said they developed it specifically for those that were colorblind. It was different but very easy to see and I liked the looks of the blue. Might be worth checking out if the red/green doesn't work.

Reactions: jb0311
    Can't help you with the Eotech green/red but a while ago I was playing with a Browe (similar to an ACOG) and they offered a light blue reticle. I liked the looks of it, and guy there said they developed it specifically for those that were colorblind. It was different but very easy to see and I liked the looks of the blue. Might be worth checking out if the red/green doesn't work.
    For what it's worth, I don't have too much trouble with the classic red reticle. I didn't even know i was colorblind till I went through MEPs prior to going to boot camp. I really struggle with things like red berries on green foliage, differentiating different shades of colors, etc. I have no doubt i'll be able to see the green reticle, but it does come at a price premium so just not sure if the claim of "5x faster" would apply to me. i get a deal on them so i may just pick one up and review it as I've been able to find someone in my shoes that has reported on it.

Thanks for the response.

I imagine all of this depends on how severe your/ one's colorblindness is.

Mine isn't, I think, severe; I think I tend to confuse colors more than outright not see them (but yes, maybe confuse is another way, as jb0311 said, of differentiating, which is another way of not seeing...).

So having said that, I can see the Eotech's reticle fine. Comparing the red and green dots of an MRO... *maybe* I can pick up the green easier, but I don't think by much..

If you haven't had issues with other red colored reticles, id think that how the dot is made might be more an issue than its color...?

I imagine all of this depends on how severe your/ one's colorblindness is.

Mine isn't, I think, severe; I think I tend to confuse colors more than outright not see them (but yes, maybe confuse is another way, as jb0311 said, of differentiating, which is another way of not seeing...).

So having said that, I can see the Eotech's reticle fine. Comparing the red and green dots of an MRO... *maybe* I can pick up the green easier, but I don't think by much..

If you haven't had issues with other red colored reticles, id think that how the dot is made might be more an issue than its color...?
    Yeah I’d think mine isn’t severe either, otherwise I wouldn’t have made it 22 years without knowing that I was even colorblind. Once I flunked the color vision tests for my military entrance, some things did make a little more sense. While it is nearly impossible for me to pick up red on green from a distance in nature, I can see and tell red from green. I’ve never “lost” the Eotech red reticle. I guess what I’m wondering, mostly in my head, is if I’ll lose the green reticle on green or brown backgrounds. I suppose not, but then still wondering if paying extra for the green reticle is worth it if my color vision prevents any advantage vs the standard red reticle. I’m thinking there’s only one way to find out…

My dad was color blind and if I remember it right for him green looked orange. Driving he had to look at the position of the traffic light to know what it was supposed to be. I'd go to a shop and find a green red dot and take a look before you buy anything. Not being color blind I prefer the green over red.

Yeah I’d think mine isn’t severe either, otherwise I wouldn’t have made it 22 years without knowing that I was even colorblind. Once I flunked the color vision tests for my military entrance, some things did make a little more sense. While it is nearly impossible for me to pick up red on green from a distance in nature, I can see and tell red from green. I’ve never “lost” the Eotech red reticle. I guess what I’m wondering, mostly in my head, is if I’ll lose the green reticle on green or brown backgrounds. I suppose not, but then still wondering if paying extra for the green reticle is worth it if my color vision prevents any advantage vs the standard red reticle. I’m thinking there’s only one way to find out…
    22 years? So you missed the endless grade-school game of "what color is that...? What about that...?" Good times... :rolleyes:

I don't think you'll loose the reticle; I feel like the fact that the reticle is a "light up" color vs a reflected color is relevant. Something something physics.

22 years? So you missed the endless grade-school game of "what color is that...? What about that...?" Good times... :rolleyes:

I don't think you'll loose the reticle; I feel like the fact that the reticle is a "light up" color vs a reflected color is relevant. Something something physics.
    I can identify colors. If you put a red and a green color swatch in front of me i can pick them out. I had never done a dot pattern test before. I honestly thought they were fucking with me when I saw a number in the first picture, and then every other one just looked like a jumble of red and green dots.

And I think your second statement is true, for whatever reason that I don't understand either. Maybe just close enough to my eyes that the pattern is visible. I can see red berries on green bushes if I am right next to them, it's just when i back away 10 or so feet that I "lose" them.