• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Green Laser Sight for my long range rifle???

Re: Green Laser Sight for my long range rifle???

This should be fun. Where is NOBODY when you need him!
grin.gif
At least post it in the right place!

You do understand that lasers move in a straight line and bullets do not don't you?

OK lets see your criteria, you want a green laser sight, that you can use as a back up for night use, accurate to 1000 yards, under $150.00 and we should contact you for 3-D Ghillie Camo on our rifle . . . hmmmmmm . . . do you expect 1000 yard targets of opportunity at the mall where you provide security?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: silverphoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I posted in the rifles section because that's what I need this for and I didn't see another section it would fit in.
</div></div>

Well being this is not a rifle your asking about but rather its equipment then I would venture to say it would be better suited in the equipment section but thats just me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: silverphoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Any suggestions on what to get? I want something that will last, go up to 1000 yards with accuracy, and something that won't break the bank ($150 and below)</div></div>

Are you aware of how big that laser "dot" would have to be for you to see it on a target at 1000yards with your non scoped rifle? Your better off just utilizing open sights.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: silverphoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know about drop due to gravity as well as wind and humidity effects--most quality laser sights have windage and elevation.
</div></div>

Go check your ballistics programs some more..as humidity itself has VERY little effect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: silverphoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are PLENTY of green laser sights at $150 and under--I'm wondering if anyone has used a certain make and likes it.
</div></div>

Guys here that run anykind of lasers are not going to be able to help you decide on what your wanting just from sheer cost differences between what they use in regards to what you thinking.

Thanks

wow.
if you want to hunt at night and only spend $150...
look into a used aimpoint.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: silverphoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any suggestions on what to get? I want something that will last, go up to 1000 yards with accuracy, and something that won't break the bank ($150 and below) </div></div>
Call for you, line one. A "Mister Cricket" is on hold...
jiminy.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You do understand that lasers move in a straight line and bullets do not don't you? </div></div>
Beautiful, Cory. Simply beautiful.
laughing-smiley.gif

Jack

"Sir, please step away from the crack pipe and surrender the Netflix membership."

Seriously, guy. Do a little more research on the subject matter before just throwing out a question like that HERE. Patience and a LOT of reading well researched data would be much more beneficial than exposing yourself like that. Consider the company of skilled people you just tossed that out in front of (myself NOT included by any means). GIGO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: silverphoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a dpms-lr 308 (long range) and want to mount a green laser sight on it--1. because I currently don't have a scope for it and don't care to pay for over-priced iron sights (would rather put that $$$ in a scope) and 2. because I intend to keep it as back-up/for night use on my rifle after I get a scope and 3. because I want to shoot my damn rifle already

I would like to also use it on my GSG-5 secondarily, but anything rugged enough to be on a .308 is a no-brainer on quality for a .22

Any suggestions on what to get? I want something that will last, go up to 1000 yards with accuracy, and something that won't break the bank ($150 and below) </div></div>

COOL STORY BRO!

... and people like THIS is why the anti's want our guns.

Look buddy, you obviously don't know where you are. You are trying to act like you know something amongst a group that ACTUALLY knows something.

This will end badly for you. Appologize for being stupid, change your attidue, and rephrase your question and we might be able to help you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: silverphoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Want 3-D Ghillie Camo on your rifle? Contact me!

</div></div>

So where can I send my rifle anyways? Very interested in your services.

At 1,000 yds the dot would be so big I guess you could call it minute of yard...lmao.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hilbillee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At 1,000 yds the dot would be so big I guess you could call it minute of yard...lmao. </div></div> If you could see the thing at 1k yards I'm guessing you could feel it at 100.

Why bother with the rifle if you have such a badass laser?

I haven't tried any of the expensive lasers, like surefire, but the $100 to $150 ones I have don't hold zero for shit. They are only useful out to about 50yds for bunny rabbits.

haha ok that camo job isn't to shabby, although I feel itchy looking at that rifle.

I kind of feel like that stuff in front of the objective might annoy the hell out of me as well but I'm sure it could work.

Sheesh, I ask a question about one aspect that I don't know that much about and I get my ass blasted. Thanks... I asked about the lasers because I don't know what to get because for all I know, the next thing on the internet could say that the green laser shoots out little leprechauns or something. Hence why I asked on here...

I should have not phrased it as "accurate out to 1000 yards", but "visible with a scope at 1000 yards", as many are--to my understanding.

Apologies, but some on here do need to be a little more humble. Not everyone who asks a question on here is a fat little nerd who runs around in the woods jumping from tree to tree hiding from squirrels in full battle-gear. THAT along with fear caused by the few is why the anti's want our guns.

I'm a practical purpose hunter who isn't into "tacticool"--I just would like to get equipment that will make hunting more enjoyable--such as hunting hogs at night with a green laser...

CIMG2750.jpg

CIMG2751.jpg

There's a couple of pictures of the 3006 I did.

Long story short on the laser issues.....if you are sighted in with your laser at 100 yards, pointing the laser at something at 1000 yards will cause you to miss about 30' low.

Torf....go find us an Austin Powers/Dr Evil Laser You Tube video....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Long story short on the laser issues.....if you are sighted in with your laser at 100 yards, pointing the laser at something at 1000 yards will cause you to miss about 30' low.

Torf....go find us an Austin Powers/Dr Evil Laser You Tube video.... </div></div>

I can do better than that
laugh.gif

http://blogs.wsj.com/biztech/2008/02/06/conspiracy-theories-behind-those-cut-undersea-cables/

would really have enjoyed this with some popcorn.
if only someone were to have made some...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: silverphoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So iron sights would probably be a better investment than a laser?

</div></div>

An AR15 without iron sights is like a dick with no balls.

You cant even really see a laser in the bright light. Try one on a pistol on a 25 yard target. It would only be worth a shit in bad light conditions. When I say bright light, I mean sunlight, outside shooting in the middle of the day.

Mike

Like many of said I dont know if you will find a laser that fits all of your needs.

My limited experience with laser is that at 100yds the dot becomes more like a flashlight. We pointed them at things farther away but it would be hard to have a precise aiming point.

The other problem would be adjusting for different ranges. Most of the lasers I have seen do not have set adjustments like a scope so once you get it sighted in at say 100 yds there isnt a repeatable method to dial your dope for other ranges.

Other than a up close cqb/bunny blaster I dont think they are much use on a rifle and a red dot would still be better suited for the close stuff

Good luck in you search

Lasers are over rated. Save your money and put it towards your scope.

After working on lasers used for some pretty interesting applications for close to a decade, I know what I am saying when I say forget the laser. Granted with the right equipment it is possible to collimate the beam to a spot about the size of your error at 1,000 meters, the right equipment does not come cheap. In addition it takes a fair amount of power to operate, think big battery packs, long extension cords or small Honda generators.

Just my two cents,

Now you're catching on.
wink.gif

My favorite night-time optic is a bushnell trophy red dot with 30mm tube. It has both green and red settings with variable power settings on each. It will work in any lighting condition and uses common batteries.

I have a green laser on that same rifle, and use the laser inside of 50yds or at night, shooting coons in the ditch and things like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: silverphoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I know about drop due to gravity as well as wind and humidity effects--most quality laser sights have windage and elevation.

</div></div>

You're going to change the elevation and windage on a laser everytime you want to make a shot?
How do you plan on doing this? Lasers in the $150 range do not offer a system of measurement for change in windage or elevation.

Scrap the laser idea and buy some iron sights from someone gently used. Im sure a member on here has some he can sell off.

I saw some UTG folding iron sights for something around $30 for front and $40 for rear--I'm guessing the quality isn't that great?

If not, then I'll post a wanted ad for some iron sights--I'm planning on hog hunting sometime in April, so I need to get them soon so I'll have some practice/sight-in time before I go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ALMAORFE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">come on everybody knows lasers are only cool on sharks!
wink.gif
</div></div>

or mutated seabass!

Seriously, the $30 utg sights would still be a better investment than a laser... but there are good compromises out there like YHM and midwest industries... affordable and fair quality.

You have to remember where you are when you post shit like this dude. Had you said "I have every possible thing I need, but would like to have a laser accessory for the hell of it, what do I buy?" you might have gotten some legit responses. Starting off with "I don't own a scope or irons but want to be tactikewl" is like sticking your arm in the tiger cage with a steak in your fist.

You should invest in some big scope rings and wait for a decent scope. You were talking about shooting 1000 yards right? If you aren't, get the iron.

The .308 I have is a sub-MOA rifle that is supposed to be accurate up to 1000 yards. I've heard 1200 yards is the limit--depending on the ammo you use. I plan on taking it to it's full potential. Most of the hunting I'm doing is between 50 and 400 yards though, so iron sights should work until I can get the scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: silverphoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The .308 I have is a sub-MOA rifle that is supposed to be accurate up to 1000 yards. I've heard 1200 yards is the limit--depending on the ammo you use. I plan on taking it to it's full potential. </div></div>

Bold claim.

This gun needs a SWFA Super Sniper.

And about $1000 worth of ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: silverphoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The .308 I have is a sub-MOA rifle that is supposed to be accurate up to 1000 yards. I've heard 1200 yards is the limit--depending on the ammo you use. </div></div>

The DPMS?

Read more...shoot more...post less.

Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Read more...shoot more...post less.

Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.</div></div>

Well said.

Apologies, but some on here do need to be a little more humble. Not everyone who asks a question on here is a fat little nerd who runs around in the woods jumping from tree to tree hiding from squirrels in full battle-gear. THAT along with fear caused by the few is why the anti's want our guns.
</div></div>

No, not EVERYONE is... but that's hardly the point when speaking to a specific person.

I'm a practical purpose hunter who isn't into "tacticool"--I just would like to get equipment that will make hunting more enjoyable--such as hunting hogs at night with a green laser...

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp161/silverphoenix_2008/CIMG2750.jpg
http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp161/silverphoenix_2008/CIMG2751.jpg

There's a couple of pictures of the 3006 I did. </div></div>

You're kind of giving me whiplash here. Either you're a practical hunter who isn't interested in tacticool, or you're a guy who wraps his 30-'06 'deer rifle' in camo gauze and leafies, hunts raccoons with a GSG, and wants a green laser to take his DPMS to the half-mile because irons are a waste of money and a scope is too expensive. If you're truely both, then I'm sorry. Because the ATF is going to take away your toys when they get a hold of your psych records.

Oh, and for the love of god, fix your signature. It's a Beretta 92FS, not 'sf92'. And anyone that cares doesn't have to be told that the 92 series is 9mm. It's a small thing, but it kind of catches the eye when it's listed over and over again in your sig.

Whew. I feel better. Passing that load was the spiritual equivalent of my morning constitutional.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vikingwitharifle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you could see the thing at 1k yards I'm guessing you could feel it at 100. Why bother with the rifle if you have such a badass laser? </div></div>

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: silverphoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Crud, so I guess Iron sights would be a much better investment than a laser after all... From what I'm gathering--it seems like lasers are only useful in close-range situations in the evening/night...better for a pistol or a shotgun than a long range rifle?.... </div></div>

Lasers are really useless pieces of tacticool junk. They don't belong on any real firearm. (unless we're talking PEQ2)

Take the money and get some good solid training. Once you do, you will see the humor in this thread.

Also take a look around at what other gear people are using on their sticks, these guys know their stuff and actually really friendly!

grin.gif