• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Green Mountain 416SS 1.2" Centerfire Barrels Testing

padom

SuperMod
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2013
    Southeastern, Pennsylvania
    I've had this pile of Green Mountain 416SS lapped and turned on centers 1.2" blanks here for a while now to test. Some were sent to me by the people at Green Mountain for testing/review and some I bought.

Finally have all 4 chambered up and ready to test. I had them all chambered in calibers I have extensive data on so I can make direct comparisons with the data, loads, etc

All Barrels are Green Mountains top of the line 416SS turned on centers and lapped 1.2" straight blanks.

Here are the 4 Barrels cut by PVA

26" 223Rem 1.2" straight 1-8 muzzle 5/8-24
    shouldered TL3
    223 Rem Match Eachus
    (This is the first barrel cut with my new custom 223 Rem Match reamer I had made to shoot 75/80's with max case capacity and no turn neck... 0.080" freebore 0.253" neck)

26" 6BR 1.2" straight 1-7.5 muzzle 5/8-24
    TL3 Shouldered
    6BR Eachus
    (This is the first barrel cut with my new 6BR reamer 0.105" freebore 0.272" neck)

26" 6.5x47L 1.2" Straight 1-8 muzzle 5/8-24
    TL3 Shouldered

26" 308win 1.2" straight 1-10 muzzle 5/8-24
    PVA's 175 FGMM reamer
    TL3 Shouldered

All Barrels will be shot on my new single shot TL3 action in my fully bedded Revolution benchrest stock, Cortina V2 Tuner, BixN Andy TacSport Pro and Gen3 Razor/Area419 matched rings in Seb Neo rest from the bench.

Trying to take as much shooter out of the equation to see how these barrels really shoot and how they compare to my Bartleins, Kriegers, Mullerworks, and Rock Creeks.

First up I screwed on the 223Rem barrel and wanted to get some rounds down it and some brass fireformed... loaded up the following to zero and shoot today.

I was not judging accuracy today. Just wanted to get 50rd down the barrel. It was 38F while at the range with a sustained 17MPH wind and 35-30Mph gusts. Wind chill was 26F. It was miserable out.

I loaded 25rd of 75 ELD's 24.4gr Varget 0.01 off and 25rd of 80smk 24gr Varget 0.01 off...

I got a rough zero with the ELD and banged some steel. Even in this crazy wind the 75 eld didn't shoot great. Probably around an inch...

The 80smk were shooting really well even with 25-30mph gusts.. I fine tuned my zero with the 80smk and played with a few different tuner settings. Shooting sub half moa out the gate no load development or tuning.

I'll clean the barrel and load up the other 50pcs of brass and do a mini load development with these 80smk around 24gr and see what it likes best. Then do a seating depth test and play with the tuner then I'll take it out to distance.

Following along intently. I have a few green mountains and they all shoot even though I get a lot of shit from my buddies about running them.

Loaded up the other 50pc of 3x fired Lapua this morning.

I loaded 5 foulers 24gr at same 0.01 off the lands with the 80smk... I then loaded a mini ocw 10rd each 23.8, 24.0, 24.2 all 0.01 off lands with the 80smk.

I also loaded a seating depth test with the 24.0gr 80smk load 5rd each.. 0.02 off, touching and 0.005 jam. I already have the 24.0gr 0.01 off groups shot in the mini ocw so no need to load that up in the seating test.

I cleaned the barrel from yesterday's initial 50rd before going back out today. Conditions were much better and more predictable then yesterday's session.. still had a 10-15mph wind but it was consistent and no 25-30mph gusts...

Bottom left corner of the target is my first rounds down the clean cold bore today. The lowest hole in the group at 6 o'clock was the 1st shot ccb... all 5 shots still in the 0.2's.. not bad for a scrubbed clean and cold gun.

Next I worked to the right shooting 2 five shot groups each of 23.8, 24.0, 24.2.. Takeaway so far, 24.0gr Varget/80SMK load hammers out of this GM barrel in all conditions...clean, cold, dirty, hot...it is shooting consistently tight.

Next I shot the 24gr seating depth test across the 3rd row up, working left to right...

This combo likes being closer to the lands vs farther away. While all the groups are nothing to sneeze at...all sub 0.5moa. But 0.01 and closer really stack on top each other.. the 0.005 jam test I knew as soon as I shot that high round it was me. I was timing shooting in between shots of the guy next to me. He broke his rhythm and fired when I was firing that high shot and threw me off..

So far, this Green Mountain 224 barrel is producing very small 5 shot groups at 100yd..

I'm going to load up 50rd of 24.0gr and seat 25 of them to 0.01 off and 25rd to touching and see how they shoot at 200 and 300yd.

Wouldn't hesitate buying one of these blanks for an upcoming build when they are less than $200!

Last edited:
    I’m interested in what a couple 10 shot groups will look like. Seems to like that combo! 77 SMK and H4895 has worked great for me. I may have to play with some Varget. It’s been a while in .223.

I’m interested in what a couple 10 shot groups will look like. Seems to like that combo! 77 SMK and H4895 has worked great for me. I may have to play with some Varget. It’s been a while in .223.

I need to process this 100pcs of formed brass so maybe I'll just load up all 100pcs and shoot a few 200yd 10shot groups like I do with my RimX barrel teeting...

H4895 and Varget shoot equally good for me in 223rem.. tiny ass groups. I like H4895 because it shoots a little higher velocity with 0.4gr less powder for me. Helps with getting more in that tiny ass case while maximizing velocity.

I just chose Varget for this testing instead of H4895 because I have tons of Varget and only about 14lb of H4895 left... And 8lbers of Varget are on the shelf at my LGS...

Reactions: db2000
    That’s a good strategy. I looked back, I’ve never tried Varget in 223. I give it a whirl. 175 SMK and 42.5 H4895 is probably the best 10 shot group I’ve achieved consistently in my .308 bolt. I usually shoot 185 Juggs and Varget performs better for me but a little bigger groups albeit still MOA.

Reactions: atefft22
    That’s a good strategy. I looked back, I’ve never tried Varget in 223. I give it a whirl. 175 SMK and 42.5 H4895 is probably the best 10 shot group I’ve achieved consistently in my .308 bolt. I usually shoot 185 Juggs and Varget performs better for me but a little bigger groups albeit still MOA.

308 with smk and tmk...168, 169, 175, 177 I can't bring myself to shoot anything other than IMR4064 with the accuracy I get

Got out again today. Conditions were tricky with a switching 5-10mph wind. Much more unpredictable than yesterday. It was really blowing that little 224 bullet around..not the best day for shooting tiny groups at distance.

When the wind did cooperate, I was able to pull out some nice results.

I shot at 200yd, 300yd, 400 and 635yd.

Even with the wind blowing I was able to pull of a sub 0.5moa 10 shot group at 200yd and just over 0.5moa 10shot group at 300yd...

Final takeaway, this barrel shoots great and is a heck of a value at $172... unless your shooting benchrest at the top of the national leaderboard...this barrel shoots better than most shooters.

200yd

300yd

0400yd

635yd

223 Rem Match Eachus
    (This is the first barrel cut with my new custom 223 Rem Match reamer I had made to shoot 75/80's with max case capacity and no turn neck... 0.080" freebore 0.253" neck)

Do you have a print for this reamer.
    Looks like a winner.
    Thanks

How are you liking the single-shot TL3?

I like the idea of being able to fire anything from .223 sized cartridges to short action magnums without having to worry about feeding from a magazine. Are there any hiccups trying to get the smaller stuff into the chamber?

How are you liking the single-shot TL3?

I like the idea of being able to fire anything from .223 sized cartridges to short action magnums without having to worry about feeding from a magazine. Are there any hiccups trying to get the smaller stuff into the chamber?

I'm loving it actually. So far I've only shot 223rem and 6br out of it and it feeds both like a Swiss watch. I put it together strictly for a test rig to take as much shooter out of any testing of barrels, bullets, powders, etc... fully bedded it in this benchrest stock and its a tack driver. Cycles extremely smooth.

I have a new Green Mountain 308win screwed on it now that up next to test.

Alright this new 26" GM 308win is screwed on and ready for testing

I have 60rd of FGMM 168smk factory ammo ready to break it in and loaded up some Peterson 308win Palma brass with 177 SMK and 42gr IMR4064... this combo shoots in the 0.2s consistently with many 0.1 five shot groups in my 24" Krieger with Lapua Palma brass...

These are seated 0.005 off the lands where they shot best in my Krieger...

Probably have to tweak my load with this 26" barrel and Peterson brass but let's see.. also, this GM is 1-10 where my 24" Krieger is 1-11.. see if that shows any difference when comparing results

Stay tuned...

It was COLD and windy today but I got out to get some initial rounds down this 308 barrel.

I shot 80rd of FGMM to get a rough zero and bang some steel then shot some groups. I played with different tuner settings shooting multiple groups with each new tuner setting. There was 1 setting that really stood out.

Going to do load development now with the 177smk and see how much better we can tune it. I'd say this barrel is already proving it shoots. Zero load development and its already shooting in the 0.3's with both FGMM and 177smk handloads... pretty damn good for a sub $170 blank!

100yd FGMM 168gr - multiple different tuner settings 5 shot groups. I didn't bother measuring every group but this barrel was shooting very well with this ammo.

42gr 4064 / 177smk - different tuner settings 100yd

Last edited:
    Do you have a bore scope? Curious to see what these barrels look like. Not that it matters if they're shooting that well and not fouling up quick.

Reactions: Matagorda308
    Finally got the 6BR barrel mounted and 50rd loaded up with Varget and 105 Hybrids.

Hope to get out tomorrow and get some initial rounds down it.

I just chambered one in 6 BRA for an AI. The customer is a guy I know and have shot with several times. I told him I expect a full report.
    I had to use a .2375" pilot bushing; which is the biggest I have. I slugged the bore at .244" so it's definitely on the big side.
    The barrel turned and reamed well, and was very straight. I'm very interested to hear how the 6 BR does.

I just chambered one in 6 BRA for an AI. The customer is a guy I know and have shot with several times. I told him I expect a full report.
    I had to use a .2375" pilot bushing; which is the biggest I have. I slugged the bore at .244" so it's definitely on the big side.
    The barrel turned and reamed well, and was very straight. I'm very interested to hear how the 6 BR does.

If it shoots anything like the 223 and 308, it will be a great budget barrel. We shall see

Reactions: FisherT&C
    I got out and fired 50rd just to get some rounds down the barrel. No load development. Just loaded up a load from another 6BR barrel. 30.2gr Varget 105 Hybrid 0.020 off

I got it zero @ 100yd and played with some tuner settings. Found a tuner setting it really liked and hammered out 3 groups of 5 that measured high 0.2's to 0.3s...

I'll now do some load development and seating depth testing and see if I can get it dialed in further.

Reactions: FisherT&C