• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Green Mountain barrels? Any users? Results?

We have used many Green Mountain barrels over the years at Wyoming Armory....mostly 22 or black powder cartridge barrels....all have performed quite well. We have a 223 barrel in the shop now to fit up.....it felt very good when we slugged it and looks great through a bore scope. Since some makers barrels in 223, 6.5, and 308 are getting hard to find I am seriously considering using a GM on my next personal build.

If I had a choice I would be going to Tim from Douglass barrels and getting a xx air gauged again. But Chris from PTR made me a deal that can't be beat just so long as it groups good and the barrel lasts.

I have used GM barrels for quite a few projects; all with good results. GM supplies most of the industry with barrel blanks, so if you have shot a factory barreled rifle, odds are you've shot a GM barrel. Very good, consistent quality from my experience...

Sadly, I've had better luck with GM than Douglass. I have made several barrels from their blanks. Some have shot exceptionally well, some just pretty good, but never worse than MOA. Their SS seem to shoot a touch better. The difference between GM and high end blanks is that most GM's will shoot really good, while the higher end manufacturers turn out barrels that almost all shoot good.

I have a 16" GM fluted sporter on my mostly stock 10/22. It was a very noticeable improvement over the factory barrel. I've shot my small steel target (the size of a beer can) out to 150 yds with it all day.

A buddy and I spun up a barrel for his .17HMR using a Green Mountain blank, and it shoots great.

I've used them for 22lr and black powder and been very happy with results. never thought of them for a tactical to be honest.