• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Greenhill formula problems (???)

garrett

Private
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2007
Seattle, WA
So I just acquired a Remy 700 sps tac in .223 with a 1:9 twist and I have been reading up on bullet "behavior" and when trying to use the greenhill formula to calculate what length of bullet is most acceptable for this twist and velocity and I am coming up with a bullet length of about 1.006" and then some. Which roughly translates to about an 80 grain bullet in .224 diameter. Most people recommend a bullet way below this weight, around mid 60s for a 1:9 twist right? How can I reconcile these two opinions? Or am I just doing the math wrong!
smile.gif

My specs are...

bullet diameter = .224
bullet velocity = 2500 - 2700 (to begin working up)
SG = 10.9 (lead core)
Twist rate = 9.0
"C" = 150 or 180

and bullet length = unknown

any input would be appreciated!
smile.gif

Re: Greenhill formula problems (???)

You will most likely be able to shoot 75 grain bullets out of that rifle just fine. I have the exact rifle and I shoot Hornady 75 gr. BTHP match bullets 1/2 moa at 100 yards. I could not get the 75 gr. A-max to shoot well. They are a longer bullet. I do not think you will get anything longer than a 75 A-max to stabilize. Try the 70 gr. berger vld bullets. They are nice. Also try the 75 grain bullets from Hornady to see how they do.