• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Greetings from Finland, the land of Sako and Tikka

NiemiPT

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2018
And of course we have also Lapua and Vihtavuori :)

I got my first Sako some 20 years back. It was a P94S Finnfire 22lr. A year or so later I bought my next gun which was a Sako 75 SS 30-06. I use these for hunting but it has been few busy years so I haven't used those a lot lately.

Last autumn my friend took me shooting long range with his TRG22 .308 and I was sold. I started to look a Tikka T3X Tac A1 or TRG22 260rem but somehow I found second hand 25 shots fired Tikka T3 CTR 260rem 20" without X in absolute mint condition. I prefer 260 over 6.5CM because we have equally poor availability for factory ammo In Finland. I had a tight budget and I got a great deal of that Tikka, Burris fullview SFP scope (which I already traded to more suitable cheap FFP MRAD/MRAD scope), suppressor, Harris like bipod, Lapua brass and some other items so I took it. I also needed a reloading equipment (I haven't done that before), steel targets, gun cabinet, cleaning equipments and so on so every cent counts :) I have everything in excel and I really have made a best of my budget! I would prefer longer barrel, two stage trigger and pistol grip but you cannot have all every time. And I somehow like the smaller ejector port in T3 and bolt shrout is easy and cheap to replace.

I'm still waiting for some already ordered equipments to arrive but my Tikka is ready for first shots. At some point I need to do something for OEM stock which is horrible. My scope could be lower and I definitely need a higher cheek pad like kalix teknik or some nice chassis. I would go for a MDT LSS-XL in a heartbeat but I want to use TRG mags which I really love. Longer and faster barrel would be sweet but we will see. And of course timney two stage trigger, labradar and laser rangefinder with MRAD reticle :D

I'm here because there is a loads of things to learn and I hope that at some point I can give something back. There is some good conversation also in Finland and I'm happy to share when I can. I also visited in Los Angeles and Las Vegas few weeks back and I really enjoyed visiting gun small gun stores and also found some reloading stuff there even though 6.5CM seems to be way more common in USA than 260rem.

Sorry for long post and bad English but I hope that it's at least readable. I really enjoy to be here :)

Went for browsing T3 thread :p

-Pete

Welcome aboard Pete! They may not make the cool wiz bang chassis for Sako but I can’t seem to get away from them. I have others but their my favorite. A7’s in 7mag and 25-06 but owned others that I gave to my kids. Say what you may about the slow barrels but in the end they are just damn fine reliable smooth as butter awesome! Enjoy the ride amigo, sounds like your well on your way?

Welcome to the hide Pete, it's great to have you.
It's always nice to hear from someone in Finland, hopefully one day I'll get around that part of the world.

Niemi

Welcome to Hide. What part of Finland are you from? I have friends in Kuopio and Jyvaskyla. Finland is one of the most beautiful and scenic country I have visited. That being said the 260 Remington is no slouch. The 6.5 CM here has an almost fanatical following, therefore the huge availability of factory ammo. It is easy to form 260 Remington from 308 brass and Lapua makes excellent brass. Research all your future reloading questions here and you might be overwhelmed by the responses and opinions. Start slow and work all you loads up carefully watching for the signs of overpressure. Post some results once you get everything up and running. Hyvasti

Thanks all :) Lapua indeed is awesome and I will be shooting 136gr Scenar L and of course using Lapua brass :) Maybe at some point I could try to make 260 rem from Lapua .308 Palma brass to try a small primer and to be a bit different.

I also really love Hornady stuff! Great measuring instruments like oal and headspace gauges. My reloading equipments are mainly a mix of Lee, Hornady and RCBS picked by the idea that I want to have quite reasonable priced portable set which I can still take to track or travel after I update better press and scale to home at some point.

@cnwrobb I'm from northern part of Finland. I live in Rovaniemi area which is the city where Santa lives :) Happy to live in Lapland which is kind of Alaska of Finland!

What is your availability of 6.5x55 like there? That would be a nice option if 6.5 CM or .260 were a bit hard to come by.

What is your availability of 6.5x55 like there? That would be a nice option if 6.5 CM or .260 were a bit hard to come by.

Actually 6.5x55 is very common in here and it was definitely an option for me but I was looking for Tac A1, TRG or CTR and these are not available as 6.5x55.

Availability of 260rem and 6.5CM just got a lot better here because Sako started to load "TRG precision" cartridge using 136gr Lapua Scenar L. It just costs a lot (260rem over 80USD/20pcs.) and has a Sako brass which I don't want to use for reloading. 260rem Lapua brass is 1USD/pc. and 136gr Scenar L is 0.4USD/pc. here so reloading is a lot cheaper option.

But anyway I'm happy to start reloading and take it to next level :)

Rovaneimi. Been there myself. Santa's home and home of Martiinni knives. One of these years, we want to return to see the northern lights and do a sled dog ride.

Rovaneimi. Been there myself. Santa's home and home of Martiinni knives. One of these years, we want to return to see the northern lights and do a sled dog ride.

Nice! Throw a message next time you are around and I might be able to show you some city :) Winter is beautiful up here and summer is not bad either. Actually sun doesn't set at all for some days this time of year :)

When you guys finally going to release the tx1? Dam. Tell your countrymen to hurry up.

LoL, it seems that they are running really late :) I heard some rumours about early autumn but I guess that they don't have a date yet. It's a nice little rifle! I almost want one, but for me it should have a heavy barrel and sporter kind of stock like Sako quad range.

Well. It was not so slow barrel after all. With a bit hot loads I was getting 860m/s (2800fps+) and with a few steps back it will setle around 850m/s (2800fps-). I’m really happy with that!

It’s also a good shooter! Here is 5 shots of my first ever reloading batch. Distance was 700 meters (765yards) and worst performer here was myself :)

4E53938A-972D-4BAE-AAB6-1DBC1855E4DB.jpeg