• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

greetings from michigan

huckberry

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2014
Hi, I'm from sterling heights mi. I have recently purchased a 700 aac-sd in .308, this is my first bolt action and am very anxious to get started! I'm on a tight budget, I'm looking for a ffp scope 3x9 or 4x12 for 300-500. I have spent countless hours looking at scopes and am at the point that I feel like i'm going in circles with limited choices in my price range. I am eager for some recommendations! I'm also interested in meeting with anyone in the area that doesn't mind hanging with a newb.

Kind of a hike from Sterling Heights, but we shoot 600 yards every Wednesday afternoon in Ypsi at Washtenaw Sportsmans Club. Open to the public, come on out.

For scopes, I think you should pass on any of the sub ~$1000 FFP offerings on the market. Best bang for the buck will come from a no-frills fixed power. SWFA has several fixed power offerings in the sub $300 range. These are highly regarded. 10X is enough to get most jobs done with a 308 without being too much for practical shooting. 16X or more is great for shooting groups or prone/supported stuff.

Thanks, will do once I get set up. I'm looking for something more versatile, I will be hunting as well as going to a range. Which is why I think I have my heart set on first focal plane scope. Also looking for suggestions on rail and unimount as well.

Thanks, will do once I get set up. I'm looking for something more versatile, I will be hunting as well as going to a range. Which is why I think I have my heart set on first focal plane scope. Also looking for suggestions on rail and unimount as well.

Then something's got to give. You'll not find a FFP variable power scope for under $500 that's worth having. Give up the FFP, or give up the variable and there are some OK offerings.

If you INSIST, look at the BSA 4-14 FFP mil/mil that Midway sells. Same scope as the Primary Arms 4-14.

I have one on my 22; its OK in that capacity, but frankly, I'd never dream of considering it for a centerfire.

You sir, are correct. after much searching burris and vortex have ffp's for right around 700. As tempting as it is to splurge and spent the extra couple hundred, that becomes an awfully slippery slope. I'm seriously considering the steiner predator 3-12x56. just over 500 seems promising. funny how much easier of a choice it is with a bankroll. can't count how many hours I've spent trying to find a right scope for the price.