• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Greetings from New Mexico

kclo4

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2014
New Mexico
Hey all. New long range shooter out of ABQ New Mexico.

I just picked up a Model 700 SPS AAC after a long desire to get into long range shooting. Really wanted a Savage but ultimately found a deal on the 700 and decided that the chassis options were going to make up for some of the features that Savage did better out of the box.

One mod I have done so far was to place aluminum shims between the front action bolt and recoil lug to get some more barrel clearance.

Here is my little story time.
I had a earlier generation Wonderoptic WOTAC 4-14x 50mm scope on my Robarms XCR. My XCR only seemed to shoot about 3MOA regardless of ammo and I just kinda figured since it was a piston driven semi auto that I just got a bad draw and that’s where it was going to sit. The WOTAC was the only optics I had ever had on the gun and I did check the scope mount screws etc.

I transferred the WOTAC to the new 700 and installed it on Warne Maxima rings and a Weaver 20MOA base. First time I go shooting with the 700 I am getting about 3MOA groups. I suspect the stock and barrel not playing nice so I install the shims under the action. Second time I go shooting I am getting upwards of 5-6" spreads at 100 yards. Not going to pretend like I am a awesome or something but I KNOW I am not that horrible. So I check the scope rings and base and everything is tight. Starting to worry that I got a bum gun and or the shim mod was bad. Or the scope is broke.

Do a bit of reading and find out people have had trouble holding zero and the parallax was messed up. Here is an interesting thing that I experienced with the scope since I got it. I could very rarely ever get the reticle and target in focus at the same time. I thought it was just some weird dynamic with my eyes glasses and the scope.

Out of boredom I uninstall the scope and start messing with it. I shake it and hear something rattle. For some reason the WOTAC scope is not sealed and I unscrew the objective lens easily and shake it again. And the next lens after the objective lens visibly moves. As I adjust the parallax knob it also moves off center. So fun, my WOTAC is busted, likely has been busted since I got it 5 years ago and Sight Wonders is out of business. Figures.

So I install my dads simple Leupold 3-9 hunting scope and head out to the range again. .75-1.5MOA groups. Now we are talking. And now we are looking at where my abilities are screwing up groups and stuff I can improve.

I’ll make new threads in the appropriate places about the scope, but if anybody knows if the WOTAC is repairable or if Sight Wonders guy is still honoring the “lifetime warranty” that would be great. Also if anybody has a SWFA SS 10 or 12x they would be willing to sell to a broke College student for cheap that would also be great.

TL:DR - Got new gun, shot like shit, scope is broken, need a new scope. And Hi.

Thanks and take care.