• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Greetings from Switzerland

REX27

Private
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2020
Switzerland
Hello guys,
Rex here, I am Italian but are now based in Switzerland since a few years.
I am a lifelong shooter, my first long gun had been an Izhmash Tigr that I had to sell first time I relocated from Italy. Now I have a K31 that I pushed up to almost 1000 meters with a crap Chinese scope. I have a CSA vz58 carabine that I use for dynamic shooting or similar but because the short barrel and the simple red dot on it I was able to enjoy it up to not more than 200 meters.
Although I consulted a few treads of this forum in the past I never registered for it, now I decided to register because I think I will need to leverage on your expertise more regularly in the future.
I am on the market for a serious long range system and I am considering different alternatives and how to split the limited budget between scope and rifle. Caliber will be 6.5 CM. Use would be tactical and long range competition, my club is very active in this sector and we have the possibility to use a very nice facility, so it's a pity not to use it since I am a member.
Recently I had the occasion to use a Sako S20 and I felt in love for it :love:. Here it comes at more or less 1K more than a Bergara HMR Wilderness leaving a lot less budget for glass. I would like to go suppressed and keep the barrel length to maximum 22", so Bergara seems not to check this box if not by going with an hunter model and than change the stock pushing up the cost. S20 offers a 20" barrel with perfect profile to keep it light and compact to do stairs, widow and roof shooting stages.
In terms of scope I have owned 4-8x or 10x fix magnification and I was always able to do my things. So I am not necessarily looking for more than 15X, I would like a FFP Mil Mil optic. I would like a clean reticle and easy to use turrets possibly with a zero stop and a second zero indicator. I think on glass we get decent deals in Europe and depending on how much I am going to spend with the rifle I could strike a used S&B for a decent price, alternatives are Meopta, Zeiss or IOR (for which I could get a very good price but I see there are a lot of mixed and very extreme feedback on it) or I am open to suggestions...
Looking forward to hearing your opinions I wish you a good day.
Rex

Welcome from Colorado! We enjoy similar weather and topography but our rifle and optic options and pricing may be quite different so I do not have too many specifics I’m afraid.

Tikka T3x might also be with a look. They tend to offer very good value for money. Shortening a barrel is generally easy and inexpensive if needed. Be mindful that a shorter barrel will cost some velocity.

S&B makes a great scope. The PMII model is quite popular. I shoot a zco scope with 5-27x magnification range. I find that works really well with the 6.5 creedmoor round, though I rarely go more than 20x.

Reactions: REX27
Welcome to the board! Looking at the Sako S20, that looks like a very nice rifle. Depending on how quickly you want to begin shooting, it may be worth saving the extra money to buy it. I own 2 Tikka T3x rifles, one chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor and it is absolutely one of the most accurate factory rifles I have ever shot. That rifle is the T3x Tac A1.

The Schmidt Bender scope with a mil dot reticle, or P4F reticle seems to be what you might like. They have great turrets as well. Having a second zero indicator on the scope will be tough to find on any scope. I've only seen that second zero feature on IOR scopes, but the feedback on the overall quality of the scopes is hit and miss like you said.

Hello guys,
Rex here, I am Italian but are now based in Switzerland since a few years.
I am a lifelong shooter, my first long gun had been an Izhmash Tigr that I had to sell first time I relocated from Italy. Now I have a K31 that I pushed up to almost 1000 meters with a crap Chinese scope. I have a CSA vz58 carabine that I use for dynamic shooting or similar but because the short barrel and the simple red dot on it I was able to enjoy it up to not more than 200 meters.
Although I consulted a few treads of this forum in the past I never registered for it, now I decided to register because I think I will need to leverage on your expertise more regularly in the future.
I am on the market for a serious long range system and I am considering different alternatives and how to split the limited budget between scope and rifle. Caliber will be 6.5 CM. Use would be tactical and long range competition, my club is very active in this sector and we have the possibility to use a very nice facility, so it's a pity not to use it since I am a member.
Recently I had the occasion to use a Sako S20 and I felt in love for it :love:. Here it comes at more or less 1K more than a Bergara HMR Wilderness leaving a lot less budget for glass. I would like to go suppressed and keep the barrel length to maximum 22", so Bergara seems not to check this box if not by going with an hunter model and than change the stock pushing up the cost. S20 offers a 20" barrel with perfect profile to keep it light and compact to do stairs, widow and roof shooting stages.
In terms of scope I have owned 4-8x or 10x fix magnification and I was always able to do my things. So I am not necessarily looking for more than 15X, I would like a FFP Mil Mil optic. I would like a clean reticle and easy to use turrets possibly with a zero stop and a second zero indicator. I think on glass we get decent deals in Europe and depending on how much I am going to spend with the rifle I could strike a used S&B for a decent price, alternatives are Meopta, Zeiss or IOR (for which I could get a very good price but I see there are a lot of mixed and very extreme feedback on it) or I am open to suggestions...
Looking forward to hearing your opinions I wish you a good day.
Rex
Hey Rex, welcome from Washington state !

In Switzerland, where are you ?

Had a company apartment in Lugano for a couple of years. Just below the train station overlooking town and the lake. One of the coolest places I’ve resided while abroad.

Welcome!

Reactions: Threadcutter308
Next time you pass by remember to give me shout so we can go for a coffee!
In any case yes great places... You have most if the good things of Italy but very few of the bads.
Will do REX ! Nothing better than to get some snacks, a couple of bottles of wine and get on one of the Swiss ferries going on routes on the lakes until they kick you off. Then, dinner at one of the many Bistros in the main square of Lugano. Met a woman with a Berner on the boat, then she comes up the road/alley way to where were having dinner. Fed the Berner the leftover vanilla ice cream I had. Wanted to leave both her, my wife and take the Berner home with me.

Such nice, cordial people. Can't wait to go back. :)

Hello guys. Scope is bought, I will receive it soon. At the end I went for the Kahles K525i with skmr4 reticle, left side windage and CCW turrets.
I have got a great deal but in any case I overspent my budget a little so for the rifle I will probably go for a bergara hmr with 22'' barrel.