• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Greetings from the mountains of Arkansas.

Mcrider55

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2024
Great State of Arkansas
Veteran, married, & most importantly, retired. Political & economics junkie. Been an AR guy for decades. I've studied/practiced most of the tactical aspects and decided to add to my skills with longer range skills. I reload & decided to use my existing ammunition stockpile so I purchased a Savage Axis II Precision in 223 w/Vortex 5x25 Venom scope. Wanting to learn longer range skills to augment my AR shooting & become more rounded. I've been impressed with the info gained here & looking to add more.

Think Barry Seals & CIA running guns/coke & that's where I am. Foothills of the Ouchita Mts, Beautiful country & redneck as hell.
No idea what that means as I'm not from AR originally. There are mountains in AR? All I've seen are oversized hills. Are the mountains in/part of the Ouachita NF? I haven't made it up that way.

Would be nice to see some photos of the mountains .

They are mountains until you get to the rockies. The Ouchita Mts and forest run together for a ways.
We were probably neighbors once. I used to work at Rose Aircraft Interiors when I was in high school. I left 26 years ago or so, but still get back to visit. You probably know this view well
94A0D2B8-25DA-4907-ACA3-151E51E0EA77.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: nikonNUT
We were probably neighbors once. I used to work at Rose Aircraft Interiors when I was in high school. I left 26 years ago or so, but still get back to visit. You probably know this view wellView attachment 8372891
I know that view! We're expecting thousands here in a couple of weeks for the eclipse. I'm betting all those mountain roads are going to be packed with viewers. Little town is expecting to be over run with tourists.

We were probably neighbors once. I used to work at Rose Aircraft Interiors when I was in high school. I left 26 years ago or so, but still get back to visit. You probably know this view wellView attachment 8372891
I do indeed!!! Love driving down the backside into Talahena. BTW, if ya get HS way on your next visit holler at me and I'll buy you a beer because Montgomery Co. is STILL dry!
I know that view! We're expecting thousands here in a couple of weeks for the eclipse. I'm betting all those mountain roads are going to be packed with viewers. Little town is expecting to be over run with tourists.
I took the Monday of and the Tuesday after off cuz' I am not dealing with that bullshit. 300K people in Hot Springs? Nah, bruh... I'm sheltering in place! And the same offer stands!

I do indeed!!! Love driving down the backside into Talahena. BTW, if ya get HS way on your next visit holler at me and I'll buy you a beer because Montgomery Co. is STILL dry!

I took the Monday of and the Tuesday after off cuz' I am not dealing with that bullshit. 300K people in Hot Springs? Nah, bruh... I'm sheltering in place! And the same offer stands!
I have absolutely no idea where these people get these estimates of tourists from. The numbers are just insane. If they hold true for my town, we are literally going to be shut down, Hell, we're a two stop light town with 4 gas stations. It's going to be a total system overload.

I have absolutely no idea where these people get these estimates of tourists from. The numbers are just insane. If they hold true for my town, we are literally going to be shut down, Hell, we're a two stop light town with 4 gas stations. It's going to be a total system overload.
"Official state estimates of how many people will come to Arkansas for the April 8 solar eclipse vary wildly. The Arkansas House of Representatives expects “approximately two million people,” a number echoed by the Department of Transportation (along with 700,000 additional vehicles).Mar 5, 2024"

I REALLY hope they guessed high!

• Wow
Reactions: Mcrider55
Polk County went wet and I was baffled honestly. They old bible thumpers run that place must have had a price after all.

I’ll hit you up when we get a chance to swing through again. Always enjoy a slushy of some sort from Cruizers.

"Official state estimates of how many people will come to Arkansas for the April 8 solar eclipse vary wildly. The Arkansas House of Representatives expects “approximately two million people,” a number echoed by the Department of Transportation (along with 700,000 additional vehicles).Mar 5, 2024"

I REALLY hope they guessed high!
My brother in law and sister have 40 acres out by wolfpen gap. He was going to rent spaces and set up ports johns. There are none available to rent and have not been for over a year according to the places that rent them.

• Wow
Polk County went wet and I was baffled honestly. They old bible thumpers run that place must have had a price after all.

I’ll hit you up when we get a chance to swing through again. Always enjoy a slushy of some sort from Cruizers.
Wife and I were part of the group that collected signatures for this in Mena and it was pretty easy. So many new people, including military retirees are moving here, and a huge part of our position involved tax money from alcohol sales generated by out of state visitors, primarily Texans bringing 4 wheelers to Wolf's Pen. The churches really went silent with their opposition. Local businesses, the weekly paper, the Chamber of Commerce and even city council supported passage.

Wife and I were part of the group that collected signatures for this in Mena and it was pretty easy. So many new people, including military retirees are moving here, and a huge part of our position involved tax money from alcohol sales generated by out of state visitors, primarily Texans bringing 4 wheelers to Wolf's Pen. The churches really went silent with their opposition. Local businesses, the weekly paper, the Chamber of Commerce and even city council supported passage.
How the times change! I remember being a young punk and running to the Candlelight on Saturday night because they didn't card! I bet @roostercogburn98 knows the place! I drank many a 3.2 in the day. :LOL: Apparently it is the Stateline Tavern now...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: roostercogburn98
How the times change! I remember being a young punk and running to the Candlelight on Saturday night because they didn't card! I bet @roostercogburn98 knows the place! I drank many a 3.2 in the day. :LOL: Apparently it is the Stateline Tavern now...
Had a buddy(family friend) get stabbed in the candlelight parking lot.

That place was almost as good as the other beer joint down the road that didn’t card!!

Stateline is a different joint I believe. I grew up with the family that owns it the old jets bar. Can’t remember what it is now, maybe Vickys?

That is crazy for sure. I remember back when I was a teenager, they didn’t even want to let the little arcade place stay. They said it caused too much trouble and the “bad kids” hung out there. Nothing for kids lasted long it seemed.

Had a buddy(family friend) get stabbed in the candlelight parking lot.

That place was almost as good as the other beer joint down the road that didn’t card!!

Stateline is a different joint I believe. I grew up with the family that owns it the old jets bar. Can’t remember what it is now, maybe Vickys?
I do believe you are right! That was a LONG time ago (damn near 3 decades) and CRS is setting in just fine. :LOL: Stateline was the place I passed when I would head to Heavner/Poteau. Always stuck wth me thanks to the AR and OK doors.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
I do believe you are right! That was a LONG time ago (damn near 3 decades) and CRS is setting in just fine. :LOL: Stateline was the place I passed when I would head to Heavner/Poteau. Always stuck wth me thanks to the AR and OK doors.
Stateline is off Hwy 8, so that would be one of the correct roads to head that way. I grew up about 7 miles from the OK border on that road.

One of the places used it have a chimpanzee outside in a cage. It got a handful of my hair when I was a kid!! It got loose one year and killed some dogs while it was free, that’s the story I was told anyway. I’m sure it finally died out there in the hills if it truly got loose

Stateline is off Hwy 8, so that would be one of the correct roads to head that way. I grew up about 7 miles from the OK border on that road.

One of the places used it have a chimpanzee outside in a cage. It got a handful of my hair when I was a kid!! It got loose one year and killed some dogs while it was free, that’s the story I was told anyway. I’m sure it finally died out there in the hills if it truly got loose
I was thinking Hwy 59 but as mentioned, it has been a long time! :LOL:

There are mountains in AR? All I've seen are oversized hills. Are the mountains in/part of the Ouachita NF? I haven't made it up that way.
According to my old time teacher of Geology, there are two mountain ranges in Arkansas, the Ozarks and the Oucahitas. The Ozarks were primarily formed by erosion. the Ouachita’s are an ancient part of the Appalachian mountains. Pretty much separated by the Arkansas River. The Ouachita’s move into eastern Oklahoma of which part are the Winding Stair Mountains of True Grit fame. So, yep, there are REAL mountains in Southern Arkansas. (It is said the Appalachian range is the oldest mountain range in the world, so please give the old dowager a break)

Welcome! Did a lot of running around in the ozarks in my younger days. Beautiful place!