• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Greg Rodriquez killed by Apparently Jealous Husband

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Just saw this a few minutes ago,

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...a2b578-8826-11e2-b412-2e8596e7c927_story.html

HELENA, Mont. — A northwestern Montana man shot and killed the host of the Sportsman Channel show “A Rifleman’s Journal” in an apparent jealous rage while the TV personality was visiting the shooter’s wife, police said Friday.

Wayne Bengston, 41, then beat his wife, took his 2-year-old son to a relative’s house and drove to his home about 25 miles away in West Glacier, where he killed himself, Whitefish Police Chief Bill Dial said.

Police identified the shooting victim as Gregory G. Rodriguez, 43, of Sugar Land, Texas. Bengston’s wife told police that Rodriguez was in town on business and visiting her at her mother’s house in Whitefish when her husband showed up Thursday at about 10:30 p.m.

Sad, I knew Greg, worked with Greg and enjoyed his work.

I saw the TV show a few times. I can't say that I really knew him. But he sounded like a decent fellow. I'm sure he will be missed.

It just does not pay to even appear to be doinking someones old lady. I hope he was banging her cause he sure as hell paid the price for looking like it. What a waste.

I don't know the situation and will not speculate.
    I met Greg about 6 years ago through a rifle sale over on Accurate Reloading. Sold him a fine Browning 308 on a Sako action. Have hunted with his operation (see my avatar) and always enjoyed catching up with he and James at The DSC convention.
    Our conversations always included talk of his kids, Cole and Chloe, which he doted on.
    He will be missed and I pray for his family.

WTF? Chris Kyle and now Greg? I enjoyed Greg's articles in Shooting Times and thought they were pretty well written and to the point unlike some others I've seen. The whole situation is just sad and I hope the best for his family in the difficult times ahead.

Apparently he was sitting at the man's home, drinking a glass of wine with his wife. NOT a smart scenario to be found in, no matter how innocent it may appear. Sad all the way around.

Apparently he was sitting at the man's home, drinking a glass of wine with his wife. NOT a smart scenario to be found in, no matter how innocent it may appear. Sad all the way around.

no it was her mom's house, and the woman a long time friend through the gun industry was just in a car accident.

Greg is about my height, was maybe 5'4", plus it was said it was casual nothing two people who know each would not do.

The idea you can not visit someone is insulting to him. Like he deserved it, please, maggot you're a dick. He wasn't known for being anything but a really nice guy.

Read the story when you posted it on FB yesterday, some of the comments were way out of line! I guess people think a man and a woman can't have a friendship, I mean they were at the woman's MOTHERS house no at fucking hotel. Regardless prayers to his family.

no it was her mom's house, and the woman a long time friend through the gun industry was just in a car accident.

Greg is about my height, was maybe 5'4", plus it was said it was casual nothing two people who know each would not do.

The idea you can not visit someone is insulting to him. Like he deserved it, please, maggot you're a dick. He wasn't known for being anything but a really nice guy.

I was just relating the story as it appeared in an article I read, which didn't mention it was at the mother's home,not making any judgments, nor insulting anyone. I don't see how you could read it that way. In no way was I saying one should not visit a friend, but its awful easy for things to get jumbled up in a husband's mind. In my personal life I've found it best to say FAR away from married women. Just generally isn't a good policy, as I said, NO MATTER HOW INNOCENT IT SEEMS.

So though I can be a dick at times, not this time.

The article does say it was HER MOTHER'S HOUSE

Police identified the shooting victim as Gregory G. Rodriguez, 43, of Sugar Land, Texas. Bengston’s wife told police that Rodriguez was in town on business and visiting her at her mother’s house in Whitefish when her husband showed up Thursday at about 10:30 p.m.

You're a piece of shit plain and simple clearly the article also says

Rodriguez and the woman, who works for a firearms manufacturer in the Flathead Valley, met at a trade show and struck up a casual relationship that police do not believe was romantic, Dial said.

Learn to keep your fucking mouth shut if you can't say about anyone Nice, you didn't know the guy or the situation and based off the article there was no reason to draw your conclusion.

Regardless of the situation the outcome was unwarranted. Even if your wife is bangin' someone, you don't get to shoot them. Sorry to break that news to ya, perhaps you'd be best off living in Afghanistan where that type of reaction to hyperbole is acceptable? Something to think about.

Nuts! I just read this myself. I remember buying a gun from him a long long time ago at his business office here in town. This was pre-fame. Very nice guy.

I was just relating the story as it appeared in an article I read, which didn't mention it was at the mother's home,not making any judgments, nor insulting anyone. I don't see how you could read it that way. In no way was I saying one should not visit a friend, but its awful easy for things to get jumbled up in a husband's mind. In my personal life I've found it best to say FAR away from married women. Just generally isn't a good policy, as I said, NO MATTER HOW INNOCENT IT SEEMS.

So though I can be a dick at times, not this time.
    Even if it wasn't "innocent" (and in this case it was), it doesn't give anyone the right to slaughter another person due to jealousy. That's what counseling sessions with your pastor are for, or in a worst case scenario, lawyers and divorce court are for.

Learn to keep your fucking mouth shut if you can't say about anyone Nice, you didn't know the guy or the situation and based off the article there was no reason to draw your conclusion.

True to his Username, Maggot rarely has anything nice to say about any subject.

Don't know Greg Rodriquez at all but have read a lot of his writings. He always wrote about his family, especially the young children. I am so sorry they are faced with the loss of a father. Prayers for the family.

Prayers for his friends and family. I'll just say that something don't smell right with this one to me, and I don't imply any wrong doing on Greg's behalf with that statement.

I suppose it's possible you don't know the whole story either. Right? You may not agree with it but the man has the right to state his opinion. It's your house but if you choose to supress first amendment rights it will be a lonely house.

Personally, I think it is a tragic outcome no matter the motives. My condolences to the families.

I would like to thank everyone for their kind words and prayers. His family as well as the hunting and shooting communities endured a great loss with his passing.

Greg was dear friend for many years as well as my boss at GAO. We are devastated by the senseless tragedy that occurred. Our world is a bit darker without GRod in it.

For those folks who are attempting to tarnish the reputation of Greg without any facts or evidence, I ask that you show some decorum for our friend and stop.

I'd agree that we need more facts. Regardless of anything that went on in the past, unless you are friends with the husband, it's not smart to be with another mans wife that late in the evening...doesn't matter how innocent it is.

Jealous rage...typically this doesn't happen without reason. Maybe the wife had a history that gave the husband reason to fly off the handle and Greg was at the wrong place at the wrong time.

The media decided to gloss over the fact that Greg was visiting a friend, business associate as well as a sponsor of his show. She was in a terrible accident 2 days prior, where she came very close to dying, she was recovering at her mothers house. Her mother and child were both present at the time. They also failed to report on the mental health issues with her husband.

Greg's kids read the internet, I do ask that you get the facts and stop the BS. ANYONE who takes issue with this please call me, I'll PM you my number or if you prefer come on by the office and I'll take care of your complaints personally.

Regardless of the situation the outcome was unwarranted. Even if your wife is bangin' someone, you don't get to shoot them. Sorry to break that news to ya, perhaps you'd be best off living in Afghanistan where that type of reaction to hyperbole is acceptable? Something to think about.

Even if it wasn't "innocent" (and in this case it was), it doesn't give anyone the right to slaughter another person due to jealousy. That's what counseling sessions with your pastor are for, or in a worst case scenario, lawyers and divorce court are for.

True to his Username, Maggot rarely has anything nice to say about any subject.

Don't know Greg Rodriquez at all but have read a lot of his writings. He always wrote about his family, especially the young children. I am so sorry they are faced with the loss of a father. Prayers for the family.

The media decided to gloss over the fact that Greg was visiting a friend, business associate as well as a sponsor of his show. She was in a terrible accident 2 days prior, where she came very close to dying, she was recovering at her mothers house. Her mother and child were both present at the time. They also failed to report on the mental health issues with her husband.

Greg's kids read the internet, I do ask that you get the facts and stop the BS. ANYONE who takes issue with this please call me, I'll PM you my number or if you prefer come on by the office and I'll take care of your complaints personally.

I will grant you I misquoted the article. My bad. My apologies if you all think I intended my OP as an insult to your friend. I did not. All suggested is, and that without knowing she had been hurt, was that, as Edward Teach mentioned above, its usually not a good idea to be with another man's wife if he's not around. That statement I stand by. Jealousy and rage are not entities that subscribe to reason. Unfortunately a good man learned that the hard way. Tragic, and as I mentioned in my first post, sad all the way around.

Greg was a an all around stand up guy. He always was eager to help out in any situation and do it with a smile on his face.
    He will be missed.
    Prayers for his family

I just had met Greg for the first time at this year's SHOT. Very sad, prayers out to his friends and family.

Read a bunch of his articles on long range shooting and hunting in the various magazines and also saw him on tv' A SAD Day prayers to his family and friends.

I admired his work and am greatly saddened to read this terrible news.

Frankly, I believe the man had the ideal life; one which people such as myself envy without rancor or misgiving, just a guy who did some things very well and made a success of himself. I will miss his work and hope his family can go on after experiencing such a senseless loss.

Like qq said above, I too admired his work and he himself. He was very good at what he loved. The hunting and shooting community has lost a dear friend. What a terrible tragedy. A family undeservedly destroyed. God Bless his wife and children and loved ones.