• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Grendel/Creedmoor question

Derek200

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2017
If I bought a 6.5 Creedmoor from impact (they have a few nice ones in stock). Would I be able to swap the barrel and shoot 6.5 Grendel out of it? Or would I have to swap the whole bolt? Just the bolt face?

Or is the length of action and bottom metal not compatible between the two?

1) Probably going to need a new bolt head. If the .473" one works, it will be on the ragged edge of reliability. Very likely too loose.
2) Magazines may become an issue. The extra space in the 2.85-2.95" COAL magazines feeding 2.250-2.350" cartridges is likely to cause issues, even if you bend the feedlips in to match the smaller diameter cases.

Unfortunately the 6.5 Grendel is better suited to more or less unique mini-actions like the Howa or CZ527.

Thanks for the response. I kinda worked myself around to the mag being an issue. Just curious. Both are rounds I like.