• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotters Grey-bodied Spacemaster II

Rapidaffliction

The ghost of White2
Minuteman
May 4, 2022
Fiddlers Green
I love this scope. I really do. A later model, grey-bodied Spacemaster II, Vixen GLH20D eye piece, Hejnar Photo 1.5" Arca plate, Opticron ocular (for one of their binos) lens cover, Canon branded obj lens cover, sits inside a Swift scope satchel...haha, it's a team effort. ..... Pentax MIJ table top tripod, w/Manfrotto 482 microball / Hejnar Photo 1.5" clamp w/bubble.

I also have a Slik Pro CF723 / Slik 635as ball head, I sometimes put it on. I will soon upgrade it's quick release plate with a Hejnar clamp. He's going to make some especially for the Slik, with the right threads.

What I really love is, this awesome eyepiece. LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT BIG PHAT OCULAR! Beautiful. I don't think this is a true 20x on this scope though...maybe 18-ish? It has a nice wide angle to it, great resolution, AWESOME Color Fidelity, it goes on to the second, outermost male thread of the scope body.

Can this little gal compare favorably with my Kowa 883? Well, I dunno... No I don't guess, haha....I love these ole spacemasters... This one has a whole lot of ribbing inside...and it's clean. No dust, no haze. ...I have one of the black armored ones, that I use as a truck scope. Eventually, I will upgrade its Factory 15-45x eyepiece with a Vixen GLH 48 zoom... I believe it should give the same range. From what I can see, it's the same exact eye piece as the Opticron HDF-T, and Swift 851zm ... I like the Vixen stuff...plus, it has the cool name.

Sound the Charge.

Attachments

• IMG_2022-05-15-00-40-24-386.jpg
    IMG_2022-05-15-00-40-24-386.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_2022-05-15-00-25-48-633.jpg
    IMG_2022-05-15-00-25-48-633.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_2022-04-14-09-53-07-636.jpg
    IMG_2022-04-14-09-53-07-636.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_2022-05-15-00-25-20-790~2.jpg
    IMG_2022-05-15-00-25-20-790~2.jpg
    454.2 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_2022-04-14-09-32-23-393.jpg
    IMG_2022-04-14-09-32-23-393.jpg
    500.8 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_2022-04-14-09-33-04-590.jpg
    IMG_2022-04-14-09-33-04-590.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_2022-05-15-00-27-29-073~2.jpg
    IMG_2022-05-15-00-27-29-073~2.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_2022-04-14-09-33-21-640.jpg
    IMG_2022-04-14-09-33-21-640.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_2022-05-15-00-48-21-977.jpg
    IMG_2022-05-15-00-48-21-977.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2022-05-15-00-48-37-858.jpg
    IMG_2022-05-15-00-48-37-858.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
I sure do like the old Spacemasters. I have a few🙂. Excellent optical quality and usually u can get them for around $100 on the used market as most people don't realize how good they are.

I sure do like the old Spacemasters. I have a few🙂. Excellent optical quality and usually u can get them for around $100 on the used market as most people don't realize how good they are.
Yeah. . . But.... The price is going up on them all the time...

I think people are catching on, and trying to buy something from a time when the value and quality did intersect at some point.

I love this scope. I really do. A later model, grey-bodied Spacemaster II, Vixen GLH20D eye piece, Hejnar Photo 1.5" Arca plate, Opticron ocular (for one of their binos) lens cover, Canon branded obj lens cover, sits inside a Swift scope satchel...haha, it's a team effort. ..... Pentax MIJ table top tripod, w/Manfrotto 482 microball / Hejnar Photo 1.5" clamp w/bubble.

I also have a Slik Pro CF723 / Slik 635as ball head, I sometimes put it on. I will soon upgrade it's quick release plate with a Hejnar clamp. He's going to make some especially for the Slik, with the right threads.

What I really love is, this awesome eyepiece. LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT BIG PHAT OCULAR! Beautiful. I don't think this is a true 20x on this scope though...maybe 18-ish? It has a nice wide angle to it, great resolution, AWESOME Color Fidelity, it goes on to the second, outermost male thread of the scope body.

Can this little gal compare favorably with my Kowa 883? Well, I dunno... No I don't guess, haha....I love these ole spacemasters... This one has a whole lot of ribbing inside...and it's clean. No dust, no haze. ...I have one of the black armored ones, that I use as a truck scope. Eventually, I will upgrade its Factory 15-45x eyepiece with a Vixen GLH 48 zoom... I believe it should give the same range. From what I can see, it's the same exact eye piece as the Opticron HDF-T, and Swift 851zm ... I like the Vixen stuff...plus, it has the cool name.

Sound the Charge.

Did you need any adapter for that eyepiece to fit your spacemaster? Is it the other thread that the eyepiece screws on?

How does it compare to the 15x spacemaster eyepiece?

I have a vixen glh 15 eyepiece but it doesn't fit my spacemaster.

Thanks for any information.

Did you need any adapter for that eyepiece to fit your spacemaster? Is it the other thread that the eyepiece screws on?

How does it compare to the 15x spacemaster eyepiece?

I have a vixen glh 15 eyepiece but it doesn't fit my spacemaster.

Thanks for any information.
This screwed on to the outermost thread...the larger male thread ... I know some spacemasters did not have two sets of male threads...the older ones don't...

Anyways, this particular eyepiece threads on to the thread that the plastic eyepiece cover would normally thread onto...

Is your glh15 to narrow or too big?

This picture is of another late-er model spacemaster... I'm showing here is the outermost thread, that's what my vixen screws on to, if you notice; this black space master has a factory eyepiece that also screws ON... But it's screwing onto the innermost male ring.

So what I'm saying is, this black spacemaster and that gray one have three sets of threads, an inner/female thread, an outer/male thread, and an outermost/male thread...the vixen screws ON to the outermost thread.

Attachments

• IMG_2022-08-30-14-39-19-103.jpg
    IMG_2022-08-30-14-39-19-103.jpg
    563.7 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: Cagey-platpus
This screwed on to the outermost thread...the larger male thread ... I know some spacemasters did not have two sets of male threads...the older ones don't...

Anyways, this particular eyepiece threads on to the thread that the plastic eyepiece cover would normally thread onto...

This picture is of another late-er model spacemaster... I'm showing here is the outermost thread, that's what my vixen screws on to, if you notice; this black space master has a factory eyepiece that also screws ON... But it's screwing onto the innermost male ring.

So what I'm saying is, this black spacemaster and that gray one have three sets of threads, an inner/female thread, an outer/male thread, and an outermost/male thread...the vixen screws ON to the outermost thread.

Thank you for that information! I have a number of older spacemaster and never noticed they have 3 sets of threads. I just took out a black spacemaster and the eyepiece fits and image is amazing.

You are correct, the older red label spacemaster that I have here only have two sets of threads and this eyepiece is to big.

I orginally bought this eyepiece for a leica televid and it works on those threads but it's not able to focus beyond 100 yards on that scope.

Reactions: Rapidaffliction

I forgot to say, I don't have any experience with the GLH15 to compare it too....but I really like the 20.., and wish they still made GLH30... I even figured out enough German, to write some place in Germany to ask them if they had Indian stock but they didn't; haha..., They wrote me back in English explained that they didn't have any... I guess my German was that bad.

If I was in a better place right now, with my projects, I would make you an offer on the glh15... I love the glh5 eye pieces... Obviously, this combo won't compare with a big fat Kowa. I still like it.

Thank you for that information! I have a number of older spacemaster and never noticed they have 3 sets of threads. I just took out a black spacemaster and the eyepiece fits and image is amazing.

You are correct, the older red label spacemaster that I have here only have two sets of threads and this eyepiece is to big.

I orginally bought this eyepiece for a leica televid and it works on those threads but it's not able to focus beyond 100 yards on that scope.
Cool!

...Love when a plan comes together...
—Hannible Smith

I forgot to say, I don't have any experience with the GLH15 to compare it too....but I really like the 20.., and wish they still made GLH30... I even figured out enough German, to write some place in Germany to ask them if they had Indian stock but they didn't; haha..., They wrote me back in English explained that they didn't have any... I guess my German was that bad.

If I was in a better place right now, with my projects, I would make you an offer on the glh15... I love the glh5 eye pieces... Obviously, this combo won't compare with a big fat Kowa. I still like it.

I was not familiar with these eyepieces at all or had any idea they would work on a spacemaster! Bought it for the leica but glad it fits the spacemaster.

I am very happy with the image, I have it set up next to a leica 77 app with a fixed 20x eyepiece and it holds it's own. The leica is slightly better but this eyepiece has longer eyepiece relief. Incredible for the price.

I wish it worked on the older spacemaster, those have better glass than the newer ones.

I was not familiar with these eyepieces at all or had any idea they would work on a spacemaster! Bought it for the leica but glad it fits the spacemaster.

I am very happy with the image, I have it set up next to a leica 77 app with a fixed 20x eyepiece and it holds it's own. The leica is slightly better but this eyepiece has longer eyepiece relief. Incredible for the price.

I wish it worked on the older spacemaster, those have better glass than the newer ones.
Yeah I've heard that. I have two grey-bodied spacemasters...one with the screwed on label, one with the "frenched" in lable... The one that I believe to be older, the one with the screwed in label...it's hazy, so; I've never been able to do a direct comparison... I do know that the newer one has baffling on the inside and the older one doesn't...

I've never had a red-label...and some reason, I've always been so intrigued by them... It's got to be something different about them... And I've always found myself drawn to them.

Actually, come to think of it...I don't know know if I've ever compared the black armored one to the newer gray body, either... But I have the black armored one set up with a window mount, and I don't like to undo it.. that's probably why I've never compared the two.... Pretty soon I'm going to reimagine my window mount setup and it will be easier to deal with..

I wish I could find one of the super rare "ED Spacemasters".. I've heard that there's not much difference, but I would still like to have it.

And of course, I want to build a set of big eyes out of a couple some time. I don't know what it is about these things I like so much...but I love em..

Yeah I've heard that. I have two grey-bodied spacemasters...one with the screwed on label, one with the "frenched" in lable... The one that I believe to be older, the one with the screwed in label...it's hazy, so; I've never been able to do a direct comparison... I do know that the newer one has baffling on the inside and the older one doesn't...

I've never had a red-label...and some reason, I've always been so intrigued by them... It's got to be something different about them... And I've always found myself drawn to them.

Actually, come to think of it...I don't know know if I've ever compared the black armored one to the newer gray body, either... But I have the black armored one set up with a window mount, and I don't like to undo it.. that's probably why I've never compared the two.... Pretty soon I'm going to reimagine my window mount setup and it will be easier to deal with..

I wish I could find one of the super rare "ED Spacemasters".. I've heard that there's not much difference, but I would still like to have it.

And of course, I want to build a set of big eyes out of a couple some time. I don't know what it is about these things I like so much...but I love em..

I to love these old scopes, the red label I believe are true apo. The inage initially seems less bright but the coloring is noticeably better. I have a set in brackets and love them, I use the 15x eyepiece which is rare but have perfectly flat image with long eye relief. Extremely comfortable to use with little to no eye fatigue.

If you get a chance look at the old bausch and lomb balscope sr (older version that the body is not tapped), those are even better then the spacemaster. True apo less chromatic abrasions then any other scope I looked through with the 15x eyepiece. I even looked at a full moon and have the scope half off the moon and still perfect image.

Another old scope is the bushnell sentry red label, and you can use same 15x eyepiece from spacemaster. It gives 12x but amazing image.

Yeah I later realized I responded to the wrong thing, and that you were actually asking about how the vixen compared to the Bushnell 15x, not the glh15... but already posted that, and let it go...

But to answer the question accurately...I don't have any experience with the Bushnell 15x, either....but I've always wanted one. I like it's big ocular...tht always attracts me. I wonder if they're the same as the 15x that was common with the BalScope..

I'm always looking around for eyepieces.. I think the vixen glh48(zoom) will fit the spacemaster, too... But I'm NOT completely sure, but that's what I'm planning on putting on my black armor spacemaster... It's the same as an Swift 851z, and Opticron HDF-T... Amazon has, or had them for $175... Swift was selling them for 400, and Opticron is 275-325$.. I've heard that it has a narrow fov, though...but I don't care. There's alot of Opticron eye pieces that will fit the spacemasters, if you can find them... You probably know all of that though...

Ive never had a BalScope SR...But I'm always looking at them..it's on the list.

The bushnell 15x eyepiece fits the balscope but they are not the same eyepiece. The balscope eyepiece is a better eyepiece and also even more rare. I have a 15x balscope eyepiece and a few 15x bushnell spacemaster eyepieces. I will have to compare the GLH15 with the original eyepieces but the GLH15 gives abouta 12.5 x vs the 15x.

With just the little bit of time I had today with the GLH15 i was very impressed. Hard to say which is better because of the different magnification and also one being an older red label and the one with the GLH15 was a black armor spacemaster.

I would like another GLH15 to put on my spacemaster in the bracket (they are grey body black label but the eyepiece fits so they are probably newer non apo).

Reactions: Rapidaffliction