• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Griffin Armament Optimus Micro

NWnewguy

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2013
I finally got this can out of jail and had an opportunity to try it on a few different hosts. Since I hadn't really seen many reviews I thought I would post a little info and some pics to allow people thinking about getting it to have a little more data. Unfortunately I don't have any of the fancy equipment for measuring actual sound levels. I can say that it's very quiet on a rimfire. I had it on my Vudoo and the weight actually seemed to make it feel even more like my match rifle weight and balance wise.

I also tried it on my Sign 556 in the direct thread configuration. It was considerably quieter than without, but it was still a little loud for doing much shooting. It would probably be good for a coyote calling rifle or something like that where you weren't expecting to fire a lot of shots, but it would definitely take the edge off for a hand full of purposeful shots.
IMG_3660.jpg

I added the taper mount adapter and mounted it on my Mausingfield with a 223 barrel, threaded 5/8x24. I used the minimalist brake to connect the two and it all worked out well. The sound level with the taper mount adapter significantly reduced the sound level compared to the direct thread configuration. Once again I don't have a meter, but this was comfortably hearing safe. It looks a little different due to the silencer being a smaller diameter can than most for centerfire, but it worked amazingly well. I would guess that adding the taper mount adapter increases volume somewhere around 25%. It sounded very good this way and did not have a high pitched tone like I was expecting.
IMG_4265.jpg

IMG_4267.jpg

Taking it all apart was very easy and a quarter makes about the perfect tool for disassembly. I used it on the 223s after firing about 200 rimfire rounds and you can see how it looks after about 50 223 rounds. I was surprised by how clean it was. I did a quick wipe down, but nothing significant. I guess I will have to drop it in the ultra sonic at some point, but so far it's pretty clean. I do usually wipe the baffles down with Eezox before firing the first time and then after cleaning and that does seem to make it easier to clean. Putting it back together isn't too bad and it's downright easy once you figure out that you can just spin the last baffle and they will all click together.
IMG_4257.jpg

Well, if you read this far, I'm sorry there isn't any real data here. I bought this can mostly for a rimfire host, but after trying it with the taper mount, I'm sold on it as a 223 can. It is also rated up to 22-250 with a 22" barrel. This isn't published data, but I would guess it would be fine on a 22 Creed with a 24" or longer barrel. I haven't tried it on any of them because I don't have any hosts in those calibers. I am having a 22BR threaded now and plan on using it on that as well. If you're trying to save a little money on stamps, I think this may be a good choice. I think they're doing a 25% deal for Black Friday this weekend as well.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Attachments

• IMG_3660.jpg
    IMG_3660.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Thanks for the review. I'm considering this can for rimfire, and that I could press it into service for a .223 or .204 as well.

Any updates (especially on ease of cleaning)?

I've only cleaned it once since this post and it's still looking good. I've actually been using it on an Archimedes 223 handy shorter barreled rifle I put together and it's been real good on that. Just as quiet as it was for the longer 26" barrel. It is slow to add weight, indicating that it would need cleaning. It's never been troublesome to disassemble though. I'm still very happy with my purchase. In fact I've got one of their new Bushwhacker 46, and a Palladin coming my way once the ATF has deemed me worthy. Just as an indicator that I liked the idea of and execution of this can.

Glad to see a review of this can. Looked at it when i bought my last rimfire can last year, thought this would be a great crossover to use on a 17 hmr/223. Reviews at that time were few and far between, wish i would have went this route.....

I just got my explorr 6.5 out of jail not to long ago and I am really happy with it sounds amazing! I was running the optimus for awhile and the guys I shoot with always complimented me on how it sounded. Griffin knows how to make a can!

Last edited:
I’ve got well over a thousand rounds of 5.56 through my Optimus Micro and around 500 rounds of 224 Valkyrie (20”) with the taper mount adapter.

I’ve used it for hunting (took a six point with it on an AR this past season) and it’s been on my precision/competition 5.56 AR for the last handful of matches I’ve shot:
4633B48F-B4F9-4FB0-86BB-1A877B567161.jpeg

224V:
B0EF9B9B-8C28-404E-9193-E240F989D6B0.jpeg

As for cleaning, I haven’t felt the need to do it very often. The baffles push out easily, and I put a light coat of SLP2000 EWL on them and reassemble.

The carbon stuff wipes off the outside of the baffles with a paper towel and any accumulation can either be taken off with a dental pick (or similar) very quickly or tumbled clean. I haven’t tumbled mine personally as I don’t want them shiny new looking...probably sounds better with some fouling
9151D26B-0A03-4403-8D60-28CE9D5B987A.jpeg

With .22lr service, I just use the direct thread adapter and it works fine on my bolt gun and 1911-.22

Last edited:
The Optimus Micro was designed to provide users with a super versatile product that isn’t really available from anyone else in the market. It’s heavier than other rim fire cans at 8.5oz... but it’s amazingly durable and is rated for 5.56mm out of the box. (Full 17-4ss construction and QPQ intruded).

it also allows the use of taper mounts and the prolific a Griffin 3 lug QD kit. Amazing can at a great price considering it’s capabilities. Glad you like it!!!

Resurrecting an old thread but wanted to see if there were any updates the OP might add after a couple years of ownership. I am interested in this can. Thanks in advance.

Resurrecting an old thread but wanted to see if there were any updates the OP might add after a couple years of ownership. I am interested in this can. Thanks in advance.
I own one as well for several years now. What kind of information are you looking for?

I don't use mine on 5.56 because I have two other dedicated .223 cans.

I also have a Rugged 22 can which is also very nice. In shooting those two side by side on a pistol the Oculus has a marginal edge in sound suppression. On a rifle the Optimus Micro is quieter.

I used the same host pistol and rifle and same box of ammo to do side by side testing on the same day.

Both cans are excellent. Some people complain and the weight but on a rifle it's not even noticeable. Even on a pistol unless you are extremely sensitive it's fine.

What both have in common though is both are very bomb proof. Both have steel baffles which to me is definitely a good thing. Since it's rimfire cleaning is going to be easier because you can just toss the baffles into a tumbler and be done with it. Knowing what goes into maintenance is important to me because it will be something you do often, especially if you shoot a lot of rimfire.

Any other questions just ask away.

Another thing to add is if you want a can that you can use on a 5.56 rifle the the micro is for you. I think in one of the marketing videos they did a 60 round full auto mag dump through the Optimus Micro and it didn't even phase the can.

Personally I like that it's extremely rugged but aside from that it's a really nice can. If you want a can for something like a competition 22 pistol or something, you can get something lighter, but for me, especially since I primarily shoot rifle it's not an issue at all.

I have a couple of dedicated rimfire cans and 30 cal cans but was looking for a .22 cal option.
Looking for something that would go on to an AR for occasional use but also go on a 22 WMR or 17HMR for varmints.

I could go with a Recce 5 but saw the Optimus Micro and was intrigued.

I don’t do mag dumps, maybe a rapid fire string at best.

I have a couple of dedicated rimfire cans and 30 cal cans but was looking for a .22 cal option.
Looking for something that would go on to an AR for occasional use but also go on a 22 WMR or 17HMR for varmints.

I could go with a Recce 5 but saw the Optimus Micro and was intrigued.

I don’t do mag dumps, maybe a rapid fire string at best.

I would look at that one especially since you have your rimfire cans already. That said that is a 'maybe'. The Micro would work as well. I've never shot mine on an AR but they are 100% rated for it.

The Paladin 5 would definitely mix up the lineup and give you some new options.

I would look at that one especially since you have your rimfire cans already. That said that is a 'maybe'. The Micro would work as well. I've never shot mine on an AR but they are 100% rated for it.

The Paladin 5 would definitely mix up the lineup and give you some new options.
Thanks I will check that one out.

It’s a nice little suppressor. I have a bunch of rounds through mine, all direct thread, I don’t really see the point of it if you plan to run 200 bucks of add ons. Sounds okay on the 17hmr and surprisingly good on a bolt action 223. If someone wanted something to go from rimfire to centerfire I think it’s a good option. I’d dosnt do either as good as a dedicated option imo.
7BEFF50F-24CF-40FB-B4A7-C6C79F7254A5.jpeg
60989681-D607-4029-8DAF-235169A5CF39.jpeg

I only wish there was a slightly shorter taper mount adapter option. Probably my ONLY gripe about it, although I understand it’s for blast chamber expansion to help on shorter barrels. Most of my rifles have Griffin taper mounts of some sort so I use the adapter on the OPM, but I’d like to run it direct thread on a .223 bolt gun. That’s the only configuration I haven’t tried