• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Griffin Armament Recce 5 and PHS 5

texasplinker

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2008
Kentucky Bluegrass
I am in the market for one of these devices. My first suppressor. I've read and searched a good bit and people seem to like both well enough in various calibers, does anyone have first hand experience with both that can tell me what the performance trade offs are? I am not worried about the few ounces and inches of difference between them. I am inclined towards the PHS due to the better sound reduction and that it is designed for the precision guns. I am most interested in suppressing my 18" precision oriented AR, and also want something that is well enough suited to 11.5" and run and gun shooting.

The specs indicate that the Recce should fit inside a Samson Evo rail, but that the PHS will not. Confirmation here?

Thanks yall!

The Recce5 is a really nice can given that it dual roles on bolt guns or gas guns pretty well. I would go with it over the PHS556 even though it loses a couple DB. You are correct in the width of the suppressors, the Recce is 1.47" wide about and the PHS 556 is a hair under 1.7"

It seems like the phs line (30 cal at least ) has a predictable poi shift. With the slightly more open aperture, does the recce also have a bit of a poi shift?

In your opinion what about the recce makes it the better dual roll device?

And thanks for the quick response! I couldn't ask for a more knowledgeable person on these cans!

Last edited:
It seems like the phs line (30 cal at least ) has a predictable poi shift. With the slightly more open aperture, does the recce also have a bit of a poi shift?

In your opinion what about the recce makes it the better dual roll device?

And thanks for the quick response! I couldn't ask for a more knowledgeable person on these cans!

After shooting both on gas guns and bolt guns I just think the recce 5 profile is a little more appealing to me. On bolt guns they both sound like a dream and on a 10" SBR you should be wearing ear pro no matter what can you are using so in that respect I'd rather have portability.

The PHS556 does edge out the recce 5 in DB performance and for varminters it would be a good option for the maximum sound reduction. They are both good options. Just depends on what you desire in the can. The PHS ships with a brake the Recce ships with a flash comp taper mount if that matters.

-Evan