• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Griffin CAM-LOK Barrel Adaptor and Piston

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    Looking for a quick-connect suppressor mount for my LWRCI SMG-45 using my SC Hybrid-46, and my usual "go-to" of a Tri-Lug won't work because it's got a reciprocating barrel. Griffin makes a system called "CAM-LOK" (2 parts - Adaptor and Piston) that's similar (but different), and I wondered if anyone here has used it, and what were your experiences.

OMG ... this is excruciating. 5-minutes of actual information crammed into a little over an hour. Even when I get to the right part ... it's more theatrics than information. Listening to the right section now ... might stick a pen in my neck to end the madness before I figure out if he's ever actually tried it ...

Thanks for sharing !!! :ROFLMAO:

I have used the cam lok on a 9mm can for a while now. Year ish or more... it works. I like it.

I don't know what your specific questions are though.

I have used the cam lok on a 9mm can for a while now. Year ish or more... it works. I like it.

I don't know what your specific questions are though.
    My specific questions were ... (a) Does it work? and (b) Do you like it?
    You've answered both perfectly.
    I just wanted a testimonial from someone that's using it ... before I buy it.
    Thanks

My specific questions were ... (a) Does it work? and (b) Do you like it?
    You've answered both perfectly.
    I just wanted a testimonial from someone that's using it ... before I buy it.
    Thanks
    Yes it works. Yes I like it.

It does not totally eliminate the need to check the can, but it does reduce it a lot. You can mount the can up really quickly as well.

The by FAR biggest feature though is that you can move the can from host to host without taking apart the suppressor. Say if you had a Sig barrel that is metric left hand thread or whatever and another pistol with a standard thread you are able to go from A to B in like 5 seconds whereas in the past you needed a wrench and a different piston.

I don't know anything about that EZ lok system. It looks like the same thing with a different flavor but I don't know yet.

Reactions: Holliday
    Got the adapter and piston in the mail yesterday, mounted and attached everything (piston to my SC Hybrid-46 and adaptor to my LWRCI SMG-45). At first, I thought I'd done something wrong because the suppressor mounted so easily and it seemed like the mount wasn't secure enough. But I watched the videos again and noted only a partial rotation is required to mount and seat, so I'm sure I've done it correctly. Feels secure front to back, but the minimal rotation scares me just a little. Heading to the range next chance I get to try it out. Hard to visualize how this doesn't come loose when firing, but I'll "trust the system" and see how it works in real life. You'd better believe I'll be checking suppressor seating after every round until I become a true believer.

Looking for a quick-connect suppressor mount for my LWRCI SMG-45 using my SC Hybrid-46, and my usual "go-to" of a Tri-Lug won't work because it's got a reciprocating barrel. Griffin makes a system called "CAM-LOK" (2 parts - Adaptor and Piston) that's similar (but different), and I wondered if anyone here has used it, and what were your experiences.

Gift from the gods.....I am using this and love it! No more checking the can every few shots, easy on and easy off. Only down side is that it make it harder to pull the barrel during cleaning on a gun like Glock but you really don't need to pull the barrel if you know what you are doing.

Reactions: rustyinbend
    Got the adapter and piston in the mail yesterday, mounted and attached everything (piston to my SC Hybrid-46 and adaptor to my LWRCI SMG-45). At first, I thought I'd done something wrong because the suppressor mounted so easily and it seemed like the mount wasn't secure enough. But I watched the videos again and noted only a partial rotation is required to mount and seat, so I'm sure I've done it correctly. Feels secure front to back, but the minimal rotation scares me just a little. Heading to the range next chance I get to try it out. Hard to visualize how this doesn't come loose when firing, but I'll "trust the system" and see how it works in real life. You'd better believe I'll be checking suppressor seating after every round until I become a true believer.
    Take my word, if it comes loose you are doing something wrong. You are going to love it!

Reactions: rustyinbend
    Gift from the gods.....I am using this and love it! No more checking the can every few shots, easy on and easy off. Only down side is that it make it harder to pull the barrel during cleaning on a gun like Glock but you really don't need to pull the barrel if you know what you are doing.
    I do worry a teeensy bit about torqueing the barrel to the 20 ft/lbs on the adaptor with the barrel in the un-broken-down configuration, and injuring any tolerances inside the gun barrel connection points ... but 20 ft/lbs isn't huge, and I'm guessing it's not a big deal removing and installing the adapter for cleaning. No way to clean the SMG-45 without removing that barrel adapter. Hummm ... maybe this is the "Shooting Gods" telling me I'm cleaning too often.

I have the Cam Lok on a pistol. It works as advertised. It's too bad it isn't compatible with fixed barrels but that wasn't the original question.

OMG ... this is excruciating. 5-minutes of actual information crammed into a little over an hour. Even when I get to the right part ... it's more theatrics than information. Listening to the right section now ... might stick a pen in my neck to end the madness before I figure out if he's ever actually tried it ...

Thanks for sharing !!! :ROFLMAO:

That guy's sing-song cadence makes me want to claw my ears off. First he structures his evaluations in the form of a dissertation and then he orates them like an opera. He seems to think I should be miserable if I want to hear (or read) his opinion.

I have the Cam Lok on a pistol. It works as advertised. It's too bad it isn't compatible with fixed barrels but that wasn't the original question.

That guy's sing-song cadence makes me want to claw my ears off. First he structures his evaluations in the form of a dissertation and then he orates them like an opera. He seems to think I should be miserable if I want to hear (or read) his opinion.
    (1) I use a Tri-Lug Adapter on fixed barrels like on my MPX ... works great.
    (2) That guy clearly learned his information-delivery skills from Rachel Maddow.

(1) I use a Tri-Lug Adapter on fixed barrels like on my MPX ... works great.
    (2) That guy clearly learned his information-delivery skills from Rachel Maddow.

I was really hoping to have a system I could use for everything. I guess if I have to use a spacer I may as well switch to a different mount.

It uses an interrupted thread. By design, full engagement is achieved at 60° rotation, and anything beyond that will cause problems (hence reports of users wiping out threads on the piston by hamfisting the install).

It stays tight via friction - both the threads and tapered seat. That's a clue to install it dry, with no lubrication on the threads. I normally would prefer to install a threaded fastener with lube (especially if one of the components was so soft that it can be deformed via torquing by hand), but that's the word from actual users. Might also want to confirm that with the manufacturer; I'd be asking them for recommendations prior to deploying a couple hundred of adapters on a suppressor system that costs several hundred dollars.

I'm also not the biggest fan of Jay's delivery, but some of us can move beyond the high-school bully mentality of someone who picks on the nerd in gym class only to beg him for help in math class, and apparently some cannot.

I don't recall ever needing Jay's help let alone asking for it. Literally no one asked for his proprietary rating system and he offers little in the way of expertise outside of measuring sound. As far as sound measuring goes, he isn't the only one doing the work either. I have 20+ years of experience with silencers, should I suffer through his inability to be concise knowing that I'm most likely wasting my time? I don't care if he's a dork in real life and saying he sucks is "bullying".

I just did a form1 can with this mounting. I’ve only run 100 rounds through it but it did fine. I did keep checking to make sure it wasn’t getting loose. Just a nervous habit I guess. I’ll be adding the muzzle device to other threaded barrels to share the can now. And probably do another one for 45ACP. The 20ft/lbs seems excessive to me but if that’s what the mfgr wants, that’s what I’ll do.

image.jpg

The 20 ft-lb is likely what's required to keep the adapter tight to the barrel in absence of threadlocker or some other torque-prevailing measure. Might seem like a lot compared to hand-tightening, but we know that the latter is insufficient to keep the silencer tight, right?

Reactions: darkfader
    I do worry a teeensy bit about torqueing the barrel to the 20 ft/lbs on the adaptor with the barrel in the un-broken-down configuration, and injuring any tolerances inside the gun barrel connection points ... but 20 ft/lbs isn't huge, and I'm guessing it's not a big deal removing and installing the adapter for cleaning. No way to clean the SMG-45 without removing that barrel adapter. Hummm ... maybe this is the "Shooting Gods" telling me I'm cleaning too often.
    On my Glock I’m able to tilt the barrel out enough to grab the flats with my padded vice.
    3B5CADB0-4540-4BD5-B63F-CE90617FE120.jpeg

Reactions: snarkscarbine
    So here's my review ... it's AWESOME. Mounted the adapter to 20 ft/lbs of torque, and installed the piston in my SC Hybrid-46 and headed to the range to shoot my LWRCI SMG-45. Put on the suppressor and fired a round. No suppressor movement. Fired a few more ... same result. Dumped a 25-round mag ... solidly engaged. Went through 100 rounds (4 mags) and the Cam Lok system worked flawlessly where on a direct thread mount I would have had to tighten every 4-to-5 rounds. I'm a believer now ... problem solved. Ordering another barrel mount for my Sig P220 Legion to share that suppressor.

I have been using them for almost a year now and it is great. I have an AAC TI-RANT 45M and I have the barrel mounts on 9mm and 40 S&W Glocks. It is great to not have to change cams all of the time. Locks up great and no issues at all.

yes, but only on my full size Sig 9mm and a dead air Wolfman so far:

i-BWc3rZK.jpg

Seems to work fine…. This adapter (black part) happens to be M13.5x1 for that particular factory sig barrel, but also have the adapters for .578-28 to use with my AAC TiRant 45 can, as well as 1/2-28 to run this can on various other 9mm (or .223) barrels, but haven’t tried them out yet.

I was skeptical when looking at it, but it seems to lock up very tight…and easy to remove too.

The Cam Lok system is only recommended for 2 15 round mags prior to re-check tightening. The EZ lok system can go further between checks. We appreciate the positive feedback. It is a big improvement vs a traditional piston even with a check every two magazines.

The Cam Lok system is only recommended for 2 15 round mags prior to re-check tightening. The EZ lok system can go further between checks. We appreciate the positive feedback. It is a big improvement vs a traditional piston even with a check every two magazines.
    I need help understanding.

On your EZ-LOK web page, it states, "This product was intended to provide a simple solution with zero training or familiarity requirement for customers. CAM-LOK® is our original and still higher performance, patent pending product in the pistol silencer piston mount product class..."

So, if the EZ-LOK is easier to use and more secure than the CAM-LOK, what makes the CAM-LOK "higher performance"?

I need help understanding.

On your EZ-LOK web page, it states, "This product was intended to provide a simple solution with zero training or familiarity requirement for customers. CAM-LOK® is our original and still higher performance, patent pending product in the pistol silencer piston mount product class..."

So, if the EZ-LOK is easier to use and more secure than the CAM-LOK, what makes the CAM-LOK "higher performance"?
    Faster, more secure attachment. Pistols are generally holstered- they were designed for practical defensive applications. So deploying a pistol with a suppressor generally means drawing the pistol and attaching the suppressor- that can take 11-13 seconds. The Cam Lok can do that faster than the EZ lok system. It can do it almost immediately. This was an informal Tier one military unit request, that we develop a system to allow a suppressor to be deployed more rapidly on a pistol so that people doing low profile intel gathering in foreign countries could have greater operational safety. It wasn't designed for people going to the range and shooting 100-200 rounds through a pistol in one session. It did permit something to happen that was never before possible. The rapid attachment of the booster equipped pistol suppressor. It also greatly enhanced the security of attachment, taking the system from needing to be check tightened every 3-4 rounds, to a point where 2-3 magazines could be fired with the suppressor remaining secure. Consumers however will do their thing and suggest nothing improved, because one thing they want it to be, isn't what it is, when everything about the prior art system did improve.

The EZ Lok does exist, so people who want to shoot 200 rounds at the range with a pistol can use that system, and that doesn't mean either system is bad. They are both unique, somewhat similar to each other, but different.

Last edited: