• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Griffin explorr ex3. Recce7. Or GP 7

Crabman1

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2020
Ok guys I am planning on buying another 30 cal can. I have plenty of griffin mounts and I am pleased with griffins performance. So with that said should I get the explorr ex3. Recce 7 or the GP 7 direct thread. Host will be mainly 6.5 grendel gas gun and 556 gas gun. The explorr is very light but I do want to take the bark as much as possible on my hunting rig. 6.5 grendel. Thanks for all opinions.

Reactions: GRIFFIN_ARMAMENT
I have a Recce7. Mainly lives on my 6.5x47L, but also use it with my 6xc and 6AR. Plenty quiet for me - definitely hearing safe on the bolt guns. The 6AR gas took a little tuning but nothing I didn't expect. I ran it on a short barrel Grendel for a bit and couldn't get it figured out, but I think that might have been more of a barrel/me issue.

The mounts are secure and I think their brake design works pretty well on it's own, so I would favor that over a direct mount. The profile of the Recce7 is slim enough that I didn't have to worry about handguard interference with the short barrel. If I had to pick on it for something it would be the weight, but I really only notice that with the 6AR. The bolt guns are 15lbs already so what's another lb.

Reactions: Crabman1
I have a Recce7. Mainly lives on my 6.5x47L, but also use it with my 6xc and 6AR. Plenty quiet for me - definitely hearing safe on the bolt guns. The 6AR gas took a little tuning but nothing I didn't expect. I ran it on a short barrel Grendel for a bit and couldn't get it figured out, but I think that might have been more of a barrel/me issue.

The mounts are secure and I think their brake design works pretty well on it's own, so I would favor that over a direct mount. The profile of the Recce7 is slim enough that I didn't have to worry about handguard interference with the short barrel. If I had to pick on it for something it would be the weight, but I really only notice that with the 6AR. The bolt guns are 15lbs already so what's another lb.
So is the Griffin GP 7 basically a direct thread Recce7?

Reactions: GRIFFIN_ARMAMENT
So is the Griffin GP 7 basically a direct thread Recce7?
[/I mean is the Recce7 and Griffin GP 7 basically the same can except the gp7 is direct thread. Also with the explorr being so lite and short I am interested in reviews.

Ok guys I am planning on buying another 30 cal can. I have plenty of griffin mounts and I am pleased with griffins performance. So with that said should I get the explorr ex3. Recce 7 or the GP 7 direct thread. Host will be mainly 6.5 grendel gas gun and 556 gas gun. The explorr is very light but I do want to take the bark as much as possible on my hunting rig. 6.5 grendel. Thanks for all opinions.

The other folks responding are correct, the GP-7 is. for all intents and purposes, a direct thread RECCE 7. If you already have several of our taper mounts, then I'd definitely recommend a Taper Mount can. the Explorr is the current generation of our tubeless silencer design. The first and second-gen recces were also tubeless.

If you're looking for maximum weight and minimal weight, the Explorr would be the right choice, The RECCE 7 is still a phenomenal can, and a best in class value for durable .30 Cal silencers. Another model to consider would be the Paladin .300. its essentially a tricked our RECCE 7 with titanium baffles and a patented ratchet-lok endcap making the silencer user-serviceable. An additional benefit of the Paladin would be the ability to upgrade or service the baffles with a very quick turn around time because the system doesn't require welding for assembly.

The other folks responding are correct, the GP-7 is. for all intents and purposes, a direct thread RECCE 7. If you already have several of our taper mounts, then I'd definitely recommend a Taper Mount can. the Explorr is the current generation of our tubeless silencer design. The first and second-gen recces were also tubeless.

If you're looking for maximum weight and minimal weight, the Explorr would be the right choice, The RECCE 7 is still a phenomenal can, and a best in class value for durable .30 Cal silencers. Another model to consider would be the Paladin .300. its essentially a tricked our RECCE 7 with titanium baffles and a patented ratchet-lok endcap making the silencer user-serviceable. An additional benefit of the Paladin would be the ability to upgrade or service the baffles with a very quick turn around time because the system doesn't require welding for assembly.
Awesome. Thanks for the response. I currently own the Paladin 300 and the ultra light sportsman 300. Looks like I want to add the explorr now. Thanks again for the descriptions of each.

I have a RECCE 7 with thousands of rounds through it and like it quite a lot. I've owned the silencer a few years and shot it several times a week since it was new. My only complaint is the weight (not really a complaint since I bought it knowing full well it's weight) so given the two options I would go with the Explorr. The mounts are excellent and performance is as good as anything I've heard in it's size range.

Awesome. Thanks for the response. I currently own the Paladin 300 and the ultra light sportsman 300. Looks like I want to add the explorr now. Thanks again for the descriptions of each.

@Crabman1 I am considering the UL Sportsman 300 vs the Explorr - I already have several Griffin Taper mounts. I want the lightest weight with decent noise suppression. Which one?

@Crabman1 I am considering the UL Sportsman 300 vs the Explorr - I already have several Griffin Taper mounts. I want the lightest weight with decent noise suppression. Which one?
I would go with the explorr. Is like 2 ounces heavier then the sportsman and in my opinion it's a tougher can. I believe it's also shorter then the sportsman. But honestly both are great cans the sportsman is great for hunting but the explorr would be a better all around can and take some abuse.
I live in Virginia and I am scared they will stop us from buying in the future and the paladin can be serviced easier if need be. The sportsman also can be serviced as I own that one to. So I would consider the paladin to.

I got a Paladin 300 first and just just got my Explorr 22cal. I love the Explorr and if I could do it all over I'd buy the 30 cal Explorr first.

Reactions: Gtscotty