• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Grills I need a new one

h4everything

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2007
OK
Guys,

I am in need of a new propane grill. I have been looking at a the Weber 3 burner grills but they are damn high. They have a lot of the Charbroils but from my experience and the reviews on the lowes website they are junk. What about the Master Forge or just man up and buy the webber and be happy?

Jason

Re: Grills I need a new one

Get the webber. I've had mine for 12years replacing the guts twice. My dads is 15+ years old and stills runs great. Just need to replace the burners and defusers every 5years or so.

Buy a charcoal or wood grill!

Propane is for ladies

Or buy yourself a good smoker with a grill attached to the firebox and get the best of both worlds.

I love the wood. but I get too drunk waiting for the fire to heat up:). I just like the instant fire from propane.

I cook right on the wood no grate. I use real lump charcoal to cook on. Google Caveman cooking or cavemen steaks. If you try it, you wont go back. Waiting for wood is the time you spend drinking beer.

I have a weber at teh beach which is going on 5yrs old and all it requires is a degreasing each season. I am happy that should something go wrong most every hardware place carries replacement weber stuff.

Now, I also own a Vermont Castings - which is not quite as popular but its going on 8yrs old and its my primary grill at our home. It has never required more than a degreasing as well. I give it a bath at the end of each season and cook it off with PAM. Check them out...

You should spend some time shopping as I have always seen a grill as a longterm investment. I never quite understood the Lowes/Home Depot disposable grill program I see every Spring... (people buying a new grill because they are on sale) I feel like a grill is just like a scope...buy once cry once.

I got tired of even the high dollar gas grills and turned to a Treager. If you are used to cooking on a gas you may not like it much.
I made myself get used to it and like it almost as much as charcoal.
Super easy to cook on and probably the most universal grill out there.
Does take some time to warm up, they did have problems with some of them, and you gotta clean out the pot if you are using hardwood pellets (it does get hotter though).
I don't think I would go back to a gas grill. I smoke about anything I want on a Lil Tex Treager that is 5 or 6 years old, cook bacon on it, etc etc. Flavor is pretty darn good. I won't say it is better than charcoal, just close and different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blueclawz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You should spend some time shopping as I have always seen a grill as a longterm investment. I never quite understood the Lowes/Home Depot disposable grill program I see every Spring... (people buying a new grill because they are on sale) I feel like a grill is just like a scope...buy once cry once. </div></div>

That is what I am trying to get away from. Just threw away a 4 year old char broil that I was given. I am tired of the throwaway stuff and want some quality.

If I wanted a gas grill and did not want to spend over a $1000.00 I would buy a Weber. I would stay away from the 2 burner Weber and get the 3 burner. Start with the Silver Series and up lines. I had a Silver that lasted 12 years at the beach with just replacing the burners(once) and flavor bars(2 times with Stainless). I used the grill at least 2 times per week, had it hooked up to the main house propane tank.

I just purchased a new Weber and got the Genesis S-330 3-Burner Stainless Steel Grill. Our Lowes store has a large selection of grills you can see in store.

I know you said gas grill, but if you have ever eaten food off a Big Green Egg you would not even be asking this question. With the charcoal starter it heats up pretty fast. There is a small learning curve, but well worth the time and effort involved.

Just my two cents

Eddie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know you said gas grill, but if you have ever eaten food off a Big Green Egg you would not even be asking this question. With the charcoal starter it heats up pretty fast. There is a small learning curve, but well worth the time and effort involved.

Just my two cents

Eddie </div></div>

Does it taste like wasted dollars and dissapointment?

J/K

I have a buddy who has a BGE but when I priced them it was almost 2,000$ to get one ready to go. For that price it better hand deliver me new york strips in a bikini and give me an undertable tug-job while I eat.

They are nice...but not THAT nice. At least to for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know you said gas grill, but if you have ever eaten food off a Big Green Egg you would not even be asking this question. With the charcoal starter it heats up pretty fast. There is a small learning curve, but well worth the time and effort involved.

Just my two cents

Eddie </div></div>

J/K

I have a buddy who has a BGE but when I priced them it was almost 2,000$ to get one ready to go. For that price it better hand deliver me new york strips in a bikini and give me an undertable tug-job while I eat.

They are nice...but not THAT nice. At least to for me. </div></div>

If you want propane a Weber is not a bad deal. I have a Weber Genisis 3 burner and have been pretty pleased.

Plus one on the BGE cost. Even the guy at a BGE dealer when I looked at one admitted that the start up cost to get everything you would want (pretty much need) to get going was expenssive, and that BGE could/should package accessories for a better deal and would get more folks intersted.

Good luck.

Last year walked out of the local BGE store with the large Egg, stand, metal cover, and a bag of charcoal for just under $900. This was commensurate with other high-end propane grills, so I didn't see much difference in the investment.

It heats up within 15minutes, and will range from a constant 200deg to 750. Last week I used it to sear filets, cook shrimp, and (my personal favorite), created a "pork sauna" for boston butt to cook for 10hrs at 225deg.

I bought it thinking I'd continue to use my Weber Genesis based on getting propane instantly hot. I was wrong, and wound up giving the Weber to a friend last month.

One word of warning, do not buy this if you're planning on moving within 5yrs. It's ridulously heavy.

1. Get a Weber charcoal grill.
2. Get a charcoal chimney
3. Load charcoal in chimney 15 minutes prior to desired cook time and light.
4. Drink beer
5. When the charcoal lights (and it does so very efficiently) dump it onto the charcoal grate and get cooking.

I'll gladly plan ahead 10-15 minutes to prevent having to eat off of a propane grill. The taste difference is enormous.

Josh

I am a redneck, I thought you meant a grill for your truck.

The Rap Star crowd thought you got teeth work.

And people from Oklahoma and Texas knew instantly what you were talking about.

"Propane is for ladies" is something that will stick in my mind for the rest of my life that was fantastic there rrflyer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got tired of even the high dollar gas grills and turned to a Treager. If you are used to cooking on a gas you may not like it much.
I made myself get used to it and like it almost as much as charcoal.
Super easy to cook on and probably the most universal grill out there.
Does take some time to warm up, they did have problems with some of them, and you gotta clean out the pot if you are using hardwood pellets (it does get hotter though).

+1 on the Traeger
I can't say enough good about mine. Great CS as well.
I don't think I would go back to a gas grill. I smoke about anything I want on a Lil Tex Treager that is 5 or 6 years old, cook bacon on it, etc etc. Flavor is pretty darn good. I won't say it is better than charcoal, just close and different.

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. Get a Weber charcoal grill.
2. Get a charcoal chimney
3. Load charcoal in chimney 15 minutes prior to desired cook time and light.
4. Drink beer
5. When the charcoal lights (and it does so very efficiently) dump it onto the charcoal grate and get cooking.

I'll gladly plan ahead 10-15 minutes to prevent having to eat off of a propane grill. The taste difference is enormous.

Josh </div></div>

+1 or buy a Weber Performer and skip chimney. Everything tastes better over charcoal. I have been using Weber charcoal grills since 1976. I can grill, roast, or smoke just about anything and it all tastes great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Derrick300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Weber Genesis with stainless grates, Charbroil will rot away quickly. </div></div>

Yep, on the second year of ours and it's falling apart, and discoloring.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know you said gas grill, but if you have ever eaten food off a Big Green Egg you would not even be asking this question. With the charcoal starter it heats up pretty fast. There is a small learning curve, but well worth the time and effort involved.

Just my two cents

Eddie </div></div>

J/K

They are nice...but not THAT nice. At least to for me.</div></div>

No disappointment at all. Like said above. You can get out the door with new for about a $1000. You can find them on ebay or Craigslist fairly regularly if you live near a big city.(people sell them when the move so they don't have to move them.) I have seen them used go for $150. Sure if you buy everything that goes with it the cost is about $2000. If you can run any type of saw you can make something to set it in and have counter space for not a whole lot.

Eddie

If I were you I would go to your nearest Sears and check out some Kenmore grills, on sale. They are not that bad for the money, albeit, a lot of them cost more than a Weber. I have a Weber that's probably easily 10+ years old. I just replaced the guts for the first time last Spring, and I do a lot of grilling. The original SS burners were in great shape yet, however, the grates and flavorizer bars were probably long overdue. They are great grills.

Weber +1, but mine is the old red and black classic grill. It is 16 years old and has been in elements that long and still looks good. Father in law has one 26 years old. The factory replacement parts make it a one buy grill.

Maybe they have lesser models and quality control now, but I would never get rid of this one.

I do like a Kingsford based charcoal taste, no doubt. But for everyday ease of use off a hard days work, the flavor bars and heavy duty build make this the iron horse of grills.

Prior to getting a Weber I bought a grill every 2 or 3 years and cussed the whole time. Now if I need to replace parts, it is just a small investment in a platform that keeps on ticking.

I honestly have never seen another major brand last like a Weber.

Hmmm...

Grills like shooting platforms, you get what you pay for. Different flavors of quality, but in the end, its all about the delivery (with a level of skill mixed in).

Bought a webber 2 years ago.Will NEVER go back to the "DISPOSABLE" ones you get at the chain stores. A friend has a vermont castings It is very good as well,but I'm now a Webber man. CS is also very good which is something you don't get much anymore

Walk your ass out into -50 snowy, icy weather and you will know the true worth of a good gas grill. Yeah, Charcoal, not that briquet crap is good, but even teh 15 minute wait is crap when teh weather is sucking every bit of warm out of your bones.
Char Broil's work fine. We have two years on ours and it works fine.
Natural Charcoal in the firebox of the Black Dog 42 for tonight's chops was right on time too. MArinated in apricot orange marinade, at the end of cooking a little apricot sauce on them, Mmmmmmmmm grilled meat, YUM! Of course the margerita, shaken, and teh Bolivar cigar after were top shelf too(that be the 'real' Bolivar with the face on it too)

i switched to infrared grills over a year ago.....nothing, i repeat nothing! is better....no flame up, perfect sear..extreme steakhouse broiler temps....

webbers are nice....but not for daily use...i literally use my grills at least 2 times daily..

Big green egg here as well.
10 minutes to searing 600F for steaks or slow cook a pork butt for 14hrs. Makes no difference how cold it is outside, I grill outside in AK all year round. I had a great big stainless propane rig that the insides rotted out of, then I went to a buddy's place for dinner who had the egg.
First time there I said your F'ing crazy $1k for a charcoal grill, we had steaks. second time over his house he made two chickens and all the sides on the egg, was like good but you are still nuts!! After the third time for ribs then #4 for the pork butt I was like "I have to have one of these!!" By far the best grilled food I have ever had and it is fast and easy. once you are done you close the vents and it goes out quickly, leaving your charcoal for next time.

All said and done I have about $1k in mine with the accessories and table I built for it, but worth every penny. It cooks like a charcoal convection oven. Our oven gets very little use these days.

there is also a place in SC that makes another kamado style grill just like an egg with more color options and thicker walls for about $600, but they would not ship here.

Yep propane sucks. may as well cook on the gas stove. I will never go back to gas grills. The only flavor added by gas is the smoke from burning fat that drips on the lava rock, or you can add chips for that smoky grease fire taste, no thanks.

wife got me a char griller after my second iraq pump, only problem i had was the wood shelf rotting from sitting outside in the virginia weather, replace wood slats with diamond plate and you are fine. cooks so much better than my old weber