• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Grind your own, or Inserts?

jacq220

Sergeant
Minuteman
What is prefered for the manual lathes? I would think in the long run, grinding your own would be better as you can keep the tools sharp for every job, and probably cheaper since you wont have to buy inserts.

but inserts save time and can eliminate some human errors.

Re: Grind your own, or Inserts?

with the amount of material i move with insert tooling, they last me a LONG time. i'm far too lazy to grind my own basic tooling so insert tolling is good for me. i feel i get my money's worth out of them.

I have to agree with that. They go a long way. I only have a couple of specialty tools I ground for specific reasons. Otherwise, it's inserts all the way.

i should add, there is a company out there making hss insert tooling that would probably be more appropriate for the speeds typically used on manual machines. i can't remember the name but i keep wanting to try them out. if they had lay down threading inserts that would work with my existing tool holders, i would have already tried them.

Arthur Warner tool company I think is what youre looking for Rob. I have one of their threaders and its awesome. Wanting to replace my carbide turning inserts with their HSS any day now. The HSS just leaves such a better finish at anything less than 500rpm.

I think machinists oughtta be comfortable grinding their own tools. However, inserts are the cats ass. Don't feel bad using them unless you dont know how to grind.

I use both. I like inserts for bulk OD/ID turning and things like that but for some things there is no substitute for being able to turn a custom tool for some weird operation. And HSS makes a much better finish on my threads I think.

Blanks are cheap, you should always have them on hand and know how to grind them. Inserts are nice because they are quick and accurate. Buy both!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hero's machine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Blanks are cheap, you should always have them on hand and know how to grind them. Inserts are nice because they are quick and accurate. Buy both!</div></div>
^^This IS the only correct answer^^^^

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hero's machine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Blanks are cheap, you should always have them on hand and know how to grind them. Inserts are nice because they are quick and accurate. Buy both!</div></div>
^^This IS the only correct answer^^^^ </div></div>

AMEN... I use inserts 75% of the time but I also have some that I ground for special jobs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Arthur Warner tool company I think is what youre looking for Rob. I have one of their threaders and its awesome. Wanting to replace my carbide turning inserts with their HSS any day now. The HSS just leaves such a better finish at anything less than 500rpm. </div></div>

You're the man! I didn't know about that company. I'm going to buy some of their stuff ASAP. Thanks for the info.