• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Grinding feeling on bolt lift

Dildobaggins

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jun 26, 2020
    I bought a defiance tenacity action about a year ago. Put it together for a 6mm creedmoor build. While I waited for powder primers and brass I constantly cocked it and closed the bolt and dry fired I'd say about 5k times.

Fired 5 rounds today, to check function, and get a fire formed case. After doing so. I tried to find my jamb point with 3 cases using locktite in the case mouth. While I was doing this, the bolt felt like it was grinding on something when lifting it. Took the cases out and put rounds in that the COL was well below the jamb point. Still getting a grinding feeling upon bolt lift. Then no bullet at all. Still grinding.

Been in the AR game for awhile. Bolt actions are new to me. Any ideas why this is happening?

Not the front action screw hitting bolt is it?

Reactions: RTH1800
    My apologies for terminology. Again I'm new. Took the firing pin out and held the bolt shroud open with a penny. And looked at what I believe was the cocking ramp/ bolt shroud? and greased the shit out of it what I could get on the inside and it stopped for a little while and then came back. I never lubed anything when I got this. I'm starting to watch videos on how to disassemble bolt and clean and lube.

If it's not the screw, then check the locking lugs for galling.

If you close the bolt and open it back up without dry firing, it eliminates the cocking ramp.

If it does it without dry firing, it's probably the locking lugs.

If it only does it after dry firing it can pretty much be isolated to the cocking ramp.

Lastly, if the locktite was cyanoacrylate, AKA super glue, you might have some in the neck of your chamber.

That helped a ton. Thank you very much. Shitty picture but the right lug is galled up and almost has a burr on it that I can feel if I run my fingernail over it. So I think I found the problem. Now how to fix it? Could I take a Dremel with a polishing wheel or is that too aggressive? Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_20220829_231515.jpg
      IMG_20220829_231515.jpg
      109.4 KB · Views: 148
    Or lapping them?
    I would call defiance and let them look at it. I would not lap the lugs or dremel anything as the tolerances on that action are very tight and you don’t want to mess that up. And screwing with only one lug is definitely a no go. They can do replacement bolts for that action, you might be in that boat. I recommend always using moly grease on the lugs. Not a ton, but use it consistently or you can gaul them

I would call defiance and let them look at it. I would not lap the lugs or dremel anything as the tolerances on that action are very tight and you don’t want to mess that up. And screwing with only one lug is definitely a no go. They can do replacement bolts for that action, you might be in that boat. I recommend always using moly grease on the lugs. Not a ton, but use it consistently or you can gaul them
    Sounds good. I'll give them a call tomorrow. Now I'm worried I messed up something in the action where the locking lugs make contact. If I got a new bolt would that matter or no?

Reactions: Mike at Defiance
    Yep that's got some major galling in the action. That burr on the locking lug is quite visible where it made contact.

Attachments

• IMG_20220830_003146_hdr.jpg
      IMG_20220830_003146_hdr.jpg
      255.5 KB · Views: 190
    Wanted to give an update.

Got two calls from defiance machine today. First call they told me they couldn't fix the bolt and action and keep the proper headspace, so they are sending me a brand new action.

Second call was from thier production team, asking if I wanted the original bolt handle, or their upgraded bolt handle... So I screwed up and they not only fixed MY problem by sending me a new one, but upgraded it as well. Never had customer service that good. Seems like they went way above and beyond what they needed to. Very happy. These guys are awesome.