• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Grip Questions

mattharper

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2012
Metro Atl, Ga
Short backstory before I ask the question: for better than a decade now, my work rifle has been in a traditional rifle stock (Remington LTR). I've got a half acareer's worth of muscle memory with this platform, which I learned to be very proficient with.

Recently, we transitioned to Bergara premier's, in the XLR chassis. This is my first experience with any chassis system. I can tell that my learning curve will be fairly steep, in that on one hand, I run an AR platform rifle for one job and this rifle for another. But when I grip the XLR like I would the AR, I get less than optimal results. Rolling my thumb up (in the area of the safety) yields much better results. But I have large hands and long fingers, and I have to deliberately focus on this grip style because there is nothing natural to me about this hand placement.

This platform is non-negotiable for me, so I have to learn it. At this point I get by, but I'm not satisfied at all with that. I realize that with much more practice I'll become more proficient with it and that may be all that it takes and I'm being impatient.

To the question: Have any of you guys run into this, specifically guys with larger hands? If so, what steps did you take to remedy it. I see chassis with more vertical grips (like MPA) and I'm wondering if this is something that might help. Purely a thought borne in ignorance, as I've never so much as laid a hand on one. I don't have access to one that I'm aware of, but for the cost, I'd order one just on the chance. I've spent more in the past on failed ideas. Can someone explain the purpose of these to me, please?

Any other thoughts or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb over index finger (not wrapped around) is definitely the better option for hand placement. Personally, I've been really happy with TLC Grips (the owner is a PRS shooter), and I have relatively large hands. The palm swell on them is about perfect, the front edge is vertical, and really works well with a thumb-over-index-finger hand orientation.

I usually don't wrap my thumb around. It's just slower and more clumsy when working the bolt quickly. A stock with a thumb rest feels really nice and if you get a chance to use one you'll understand. For now, get used to keeping your thumb up/forward. You won't think twice about it after a while.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm