• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Grizzly Mill/Drill

WCW308

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2008
Central Idaho
Anyone have any experience with one of their mills? I am considering a mill/drill
say, GO619. Many to choose from, any suggestions from users...what is good for an amateur gun-machinist...

Re: Grizzly Mill/Drill

everything I have heard and read has lead me to steer clear of combo machines. I have not tried one, but sounds like they are marginally good at both tasks, but not great at either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GasLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">everything I have heard and read has lead me to steer clear of combo machines. I have not tried one, but sounds like they are marginally good at both tasks, but not great at either.</div></div>

Exactly. If you want to machine guns the 4003G is the sweet spot for "entry level" and "not throwing my money away."

Umm, I read it as he is looking for input on a round column mill.....mill/drill.

Nothing wrong with a round column mill, lots of good parts have been turned out on them. Only bitch about a round column mill is if you change your Z height via the column your table is no longer square to the spindle. How often do you plan on moving the Z more than the quill feed has to offer, this is what you need to think about before you spend that hard earned cash.

So, dovetail column, grizzly quality is good for the $.
Expect I could buy a bigger older better used mill , but
I have wood floors, and a hike to get to my shop.
Thanx for info, other brands to consider ?
I am looking for a mill 1st, lathe to come later....

my bad, I see the mill/drill now, and not a mill/lathe combo. Sorry that was the first thing that popped into my head.

At any rate, I think a mill/drill can work well if you are only going to use it for small projects. I pondered this topic over and over myself, trying to find a somewhat affordable way to get into a milling machine. I scoured craigslist locally, hoping for a deal on a Bridgeport or equivalent used machine, and after growing tired of looking without a mill, I ended up picking up a small clausing 8520. I really like the mill, but it is small and limited. If you don't plan on doing any larger work, a mill/drill might fit your needs nicely, I have a buddy who does a fair amount of work on one, and seems to like it pretty well.

I have a JET mill/drill for simple tasks. It's great as a high-precision drill-press, handy for milling soft materials like fiberglass stocks (great for cleaning up after bedding), but not work much of a damn for anything harder than brass. Aluminum is okay, but that's borderline, there's too much flex in it for anything more than that.

-matt

Oops, I read that as Mill/Lathe too.

I CNC converted a G0619 (mostly because I found a good deal on a used one) and I'm happy with it but already I wish I'd gone with one of the RF-45 sized mills. The small area of travel is a bit limiting if you start thinking about mounting a 6" rotary on there or anything like that. The G720R really looks like the ticket but the price is also significantly more, if you're not planning on CNC converting it a small knee like the G728 or G3102 would be where I'd probably spend my money.

thanks all, for the info. G728 looks good. I am going to PA to check them out
next week.
Ratbert, thought you were a glass something or other. What happened...?

smile.gif

I have the PM45 from Pennsalvanyia.

I am not a machinist, but I feel it is a good machine, good value. made a few things, inletted a stock.

Also got the 1127LB Lathe. I will NOT reccomend it..would sell mine anytime to get a grizzly or old american iron!

you WILL SPEND A FORTUNE IN TOOLING. Dont think you won't...
wink.gif

Metal is Expensive as all get out too. You might get lucky and find a re-cycling/scrap yard that will sell you some good, known material.

i have ZERO experience with any kind of metal shop equipment, but i can add that Grizzly is a fantastic company. their woodworking equipment may not be the absolute best money can buy, but it's damn good, and they are a damn good company to deal with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K_Labs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WCW308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this looks sturdy. http://www.actionmachinery.com/writeups/16503.htm </div></div>

That looks exactly like mine! </div></div>

So, how do you like it? What else would you recommend, are you are prof. machinist, gunsmith? thanks for any info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WCW308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Ratbert, thought you were a glass something or other. What happened...?
</div></div>

Joined a cult.