• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Grooves for 65 Creedmoor and 6XC

sobrbiker883

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2003
Gilbert AZ
I'm gonna be picking up a barrel for both my 65CM and my ol lady's 6XC.
What are the hot tickets for rifling these days? I've always ran 5R, but have been thinking about 3 or 4 groove. Search didn't help me too much.

The 6XC runs 107SMK's and my Creedmoor runs 140 Amax's but may be going to Berger Hybrids......

I've used 3, 4, 5R, 5C, and 6 groove. No discernable difference on the range. THe only have noticed on average is that the 5 R and 5 C seemed to clean up a little easier just due to the lack of tight corners in the grooves. Although a couple of my 4 groove ones cleaned up just as easy.

even number of grooves, the lands oppose eachother. Odd number the lands oppose a groove. I have heard that a odd number causes less bullet deformation than even number(made sense to me). I tried a 3 groove for my 6x47Lapua and have had great results but i cant say anything bad about the 4s and 6s I have shot....

3 groove 6.5CM here...no complaints at all with cleaning or accuracy.

4 groove kreiger, ask Blackops (Mike Resigno @ TacOps) on here why.

That would be pertinent information, had I been asking about Kreigers...you don't get bonus points for swinging on Mike's nut sac.

Wow really, you should probably just run a 2 groove no name brand then...

Gray-
I guess I owe you an apology, I had thought that I had specified I was looking at Benchmark barrels in my original post.

My hackles have always gone up when I hear "(big name) uses (such and such)" online...