• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ground hog hunters what range finders

Prebanpaul

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2009
Akron Ohio Summit
So I hunt ground hogs and every now and then shoot in local matches. I am looking for a range finder that I can range a ground hog out to 1200 yards. Budget max is 900 and would really like to stay in the 600 range.

good luck ranging a half moa fur target at 1200yd.

take a look at the leica 2700b. that within your price range and performs well. youre going to find ranging by hand on anything that small at those distances is tough. i suggest tripod mounting it in a cradle and it dramitically improves performance

Reactions: Diver160651
There will typically be larger structure near a groundhog. Trees, buildings, brush piles, etc.

thats right and in my opinion thats why you dont really need a rangefinder that can return a signal on a half moa size animal at best.

I hunt in open fields, I hunt groundhogs 4-6 days a week. I have 4 major farms near me, that allow me to go from one to the other. I don't not need to range groundhogs up against a building, as I use a suppressed .22 for that. I shoot anywhere from 10 yards to 1300. I need something that will range them at that distance because I want to. I kill 3-400 hogs a year. Its what I do. I may need to step up the ladder and spend more money.

i do the same thing and kill about the same amount paul. what youre after doesnt exist in the budget.

beam divergence and shape is huge factor in ranging abilities to hit things like a ground hog and not the treeline 40yds behind it. like i said as well, mount the rangefinder to a tripod and you will drastically increase your capabilities with it.

I would suggest looking at the Bushnell 1 mile. Glass is not in the same league as leica but they seem to do well in flat and rolling terrain

Ive ranged some gh at 200-300. I typically just try to shoot the grd next to them.
Your typical gh is from 9-18" tall standing, and less than8" eating.

Range close to it as possible and let it fly.

To add I think the new Nikon with stabilization may be one to look at I haven't looked through one though.