• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing ground hunting whitetail

pickpick

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2008
Jonesboro,Ar.
So, I've been thinking. I may start hunting exclusively from the ground for whitetail. The biggest buck(10 pt) I've killed was at 17 yards on the ground with a smokepole. I've killed 2 or 3 doe with rifle sitting on the ground too. I've even missed a nice buck at 42 yards with a bow while hunting on the ground. It sure would make it easier to not carry a stand with me and climb a tree everytime I go to the woods. Do any of y'all primarily hunt from the ground for whitetail? Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: ground hunting whitetail

umm yeah...

Back east they are looking up as much as around.

Watch your scent and know your wind.

I'll be hunting from the ground here in MT as well.

Get yourself a Double Bull and brush it in. Don't have to worry about rain or snow anymore and you'll be able to move around alot and not be seen in the process.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moof</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get yourself a Double Bull and brush it in. Don't have to worry about rain or snow anymore and you'll be able to move around alot and not be seen in the process. </div></div>

I bought a Primos vision blind last year. I like it very well but, I dont always hunt the same place everytime I go. I hunt public ground pretty regular too and, I'm afraid it would be gone the next day. How important is it to brush one in?

I will hunt from tree stands with a bow, but I see no reason to with a gun. Unless I am hunting at bow range the motion the tree introduces into the shot is not welcome.

I typically hunt with my gun, a very small daypack and a fold-up stool. Deer get moved around a lot in the opening days of the season here, I set up in a spot and read the game as it plays out, moving as needed. I certainly would not want to be stuck in a tree.

A blind, even tho it's camo'd, is rather bold. We all know deer don't like surprises so by brushing it in sorta softens the shock of something different in their own back yard. If you left it out for some time so they get used to it, I don't see no need to brush it. I know what you mean about having things taken jacked. So maybe set it up where they'll see it a ways off and see no threat when they're working their way in.

Thanks for the laugh Va Gentleman
Most of the hills are so close in SW Va you could be 20' up in a stand and the deer 50 yards away would be looking straight across or even down on you. but I still use em Every now & then.

The guy's in Florida hunting those huge palmetto stands need em. Otherwise they may never even see a deer. That stuff is thick. Plus it gets you off the ground & away from those diamondbacks.

VaFarmer: Thanks... You and I say it a lot, we can always tell which side of the mountain your home was by looking at which leg is longer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VaFarmer2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the laugh Va Gentleman
Most of the hills are so close in SW Va you could be 20' up in a stand and the deer 50 yards away would be looking straight across or even down on you. but I still use em Every now & then.

The guy's in Florida hunting those huge palmetto stands need em. Otherwise they may never even see a deer. That stuff is thick. Plus it gets you off the ground & away from those diamondbacks.

</div></div>

I do 75% of my hunting from a Hub-style ground blind, the other 25% is stalking... Mainly because I'm terrified of heights!!! lol

I hunt on public land, and in WI... you have to remove your blind daily at the end of hunting hours on public land! Plus during any gun season, ya gotta have 144 square inches of blaze orange on every side of the blind...

So that makes it pretty tricky nowadays!

I have a pop-up blind that I deploy in August (a month before bow season) at my parents private parcel... But I pretty much get screwed blind hunting on public land (Gun-deer season)!

I did it again. I killed a little deer this weekend with my .357 pistol at about 15 steps while sitting on the ground. This ground hunting is looking better all the time. It was only a button buck but, it was my first kill with a pistol.

357kill.jpg

I often venture to the ground to break up the monotony of sitting in the same old stands. But being from South Alabama, I hunt the stands not to increase my chances of killing a deer but to decrease my chances of getting shot.

I always hunt from the ground... never in a stand. I hunt in Lincoln County in Wisconsin and there's ridge on top of ridge here. There's no need for me to climb a tree when I've got a natural backdrop and elevation at my disposal.
smile.gif

It works.

Stalking has been tough here in Bama...too dry and too much undergrowth. First time out with a bow this year...nothing yet. Frustrating...but I love being in the woods. The hunt will continue!

I personally have killed more deer while hunting off the ground than in a stand. I like to stand hunt till about 9oclock in the morning than I may ease down walk tops of ridges. In the evening I like to get to top of mountain where I can see down both sides of ridges. It works better for me, but some people see it the other way, and I understand. People like what they like.

I'm probably pretty bias on my hunting method. The only time I even consider getting into a tree stand or ground blind is to archery hunt, and even then...I'd rather not. I much prefer the spot and stalk, but I do understand that a lot of other areas don't have that luxury (or curse)

Out here on the prairie, if you hunt from a blind with a rifle, you had better be real old or handy(capable). Again, I'm not taking anything away from the guys that have to do it to be successful.

ALL THAT SAID...Where we work in the early spring in southeastern Texas...there is some of the thickest wooded areas I have ever seen. I wouldn't want to send a dog through that stuff.
It's obvious why some states allow you to hunt over feeders.
I think anytime you get your self an elevated shooting platform like a blind or tree stand that's in the air, you'll have an advantage...but there is nothing quite like having one walk right past...close enough to touch.

My vote is for spot and stalk, but again, it's not always possible for most areas of the country.

I hunt from trees, box stand an the ground in primos blind, I do just as good in blind as in the tree or box stand. Just make sure the wind is right, box stand and ground blind conceal movement and you can have a heater major plus. I've had deer 10ft in front of me in the blind also walk under tree or box stand when the wind is right.

I do a little of everything. I almost shot a small doe last time i went out, but wasnt presented with a shot. I usually spend half my time on the ground and half of it in a stand. Usually go to the stand whenever the wind decides to not be in my favor for stalking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VA Gentleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The last time I climbed a tree was to get a way from a pissed off bull.

The deer where I hunt always look up because they are usually pointed up when they climb the ridges... </div></div>

That's eerily familiar.....

Got a sciatic nerve thing going on that's keeping me on the ground lately.

Anybody need a Summit Viper climbing stand, cheap?