• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ground shooting mat

I have used MidwayUSA’s mat for 6+ years now. It has served me well. Cannot put a rifle in it, but I wouldn’t want to. They get dirty as hell.

The Midway ones aren't too bad if you ain't just real rough on them. I'll be honest I clicked on this because the forum "preview" just said "Ground Shooting" which is what you do the game birds in South Dakota.

I have used MidwayUSA’s mat for 6+ years now. It has served me well. Cannot put a rifle in it, but I wouldn’t want to. They get dirty as hell.

interesting, on the dirty part. As i dont really plan on competition i guess it might get dirty but if you keep it clean. im looking at carrying one thing insead of two. recommendations on a good carry bag? ive been down the hardcase road and they are so hard to lug around. something with lots of padding for as 3500 scope to be in

i was looking at this one

Thanks, I kept thinking I was missing a piece of gear, and this was it. Now to find one I like ?

Reactions: Studio3
Hey guys, whats everyone using for a shooting mat? i was looking at 4eh ones that double as a carry bag? like NcStar
I use a mat similar to the one you’re looking at. There’s pros and cons to consider. The pro is it’s a case and mat so win win. The cons (at least for me) is the the dirt and dust you track on the mat gets folded up into the rifle when you use it in case mode. Yea you can try to brush it all off, but it seems like something gets missed and ends up in your action no matter how careful you are.

Hey guys, whats everyone using for a shooting mat? i was looking at 4eh ones that double as a carry bag? like NcStar
I've got the NCstar and love it. For the price it can't be beat, if you don't care about pockets and all that jazz it makes zero sense to spend upwards of $100 on a roll up mat to lay on.

I just carry a rag and wipe mine off before packing up at the range. The one mat you listed I have too and it works excellent.

Reactions: Aries256
I use the Midway mat, just like the one above. I really like it. I can't comment on other mats as this is the first one I have bought.

As stated above, they get dirty. I'd get two, I did, and use one for shooting, a Midway, and one for carrying, KRG.

A vote for TAB Gear.

I have a big mattress mat but the TAB is attached to my Eberlestock and gets the most use.

Mattress gets used on snow and only if a short walk from the truck.

Get the small stakes option from TAB.

Ive seen mats on line, even fat mattresses get picked up by the wind and toss a rifle.

Any wind and I know Im moving away from the mat/rifle it gets staked down.

Reactions: Kamerad
I got this one and love it...

Doesn't double as a carry bag but folds up small enough that it's easy. Don't get the black one as it turns into a frying pan in Summer sun.

VooDoo

Last edited:
A vote for TAB Gear.

I have a big mattress mat but the TAB is attached to my Eberlestock and gets the most use.

Mattress gets used on snow and only if a short walk from the truck.

Get the small stakes option from TAB.

Ive seen mats on line, even fat mattresses get picked up by the wind and toss a rifle.

Any wind and I know Im moving away from the mat/rifle it gets staked down.
Thanks for passing on the suggestion.

TAB Gear makes nice stuff. I use the Armageddon Gear Ultralight. Either way you are getting high quality American manufactured gear.

It stays clipped to a Kifaru Hooligan, but it will fit neatly into one of the side zippered pockets. A few stakes are definitely handy to have on a windy day.

Armageddon Gear Ultralight Shooting mat

Reactions: powdahound76
I like my col-tac. Had metal grommets if you want too stake it down.
It does cost a little bit more than others though.

Doesn't double as a carry bag but folds up small enough that it's easy. Don't get the black one as it turns into a frying pan in Summer sun.

VooDoo

I have this one as well and it’s perfect. Gets clipped onto my pack and always goes with me.

As for one that serves as a rifle bag, I moved away from using that style as it isn’t practical or useful for anything other than carrying the system. If you get the ones that carry other gear and are also a fold out mat, then you have to empty everything out before laying down. If you’re out doing a stalk and dragging it between your legs, then sure I get it. But if you’re going to the range and using it as a mat, then you’re better off getting a small backpack for your gear, clipping the TAB gear pollock mat to the outside, and carrying your rifle with a scope/crown cover attached. You can then shoot off of the pack or put the pack next to you and pull out what you need while behind the rifle.

If you’re deadset on a shooting mat/drag bag style, then eagle or Blackhawk make good drag bags that can handle constant abuse in the field. The eagle industries Hybrid is a bulky yet awesome shooting mat that you can suitcase carry or wear as a backpack. The Blackhawk drag bag can do the same. I still prefer the small pack, pollock mat, and scope/crown cover method. Your pack, depending on the type, can also serve as a shooting support for improvised positions or for stabilizing a tripod, whereas a shooting mat wouldn’t be as effective or able to do as much.

I made a shooting mat that allows for loading a bipod using your body weight. It's thin and relatively easy to pack. I used 3mm or 5mm yoga mats for padding. The mats can be pulled out if you want something thicker or not at all. The biggest thing I wanted was a mat that allowed for my body from knees to elbows, to be on a mat. With the ability to load the bipod legs. Another plus with the design, the pad at the elbows is as wide as the mat, about 30 inches. It's been pretty effective.
Shooting Mat.JPG

Mat at St Vith.JPG

I also made a gun case that works in the same manner. Similar to the NC star but more streamlined for shooting.
Soft case open.JPG

Soft case straps.JPG

Soft case closed.JPG

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but I love my eberlestock mat, rolls up nicely in my X2 or G4 operator pack . Very durable.

VooDoo

I have this one as well. Far more practical than a drag bag that doubles as a shooting mat (which I've also had in the past). As others have said, not only do you have to fully empty the drag bag to use it as a mat but it also just gets full of dirt/sand. I still use drag bags to transport rifles and extra gear (one from Triad one from AG) but the shooting mat just folds up and goes inside. I pretty rarely use it, actually unless the ground is super wet/muddy or there's snow. It's never bothered me much to lie down on the ground, it's not like I'm wearing a suit when I go shoot, haha.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
CrossTac Precision Long Range Shooting Mat for prone range shooting, if I have to hike with it Boyt Harness Bob Allen Tactical Shooting Mat. Have had both for years love 'em both but the CrossTac with the built in stop for the bipod legs is my favorite.

+1 for the midway mat.
Has a lot of the same features of the more expensive mats for significantly less.
I can’t imagine how ‘hard’ you would be on a shooting mat. I mean, christ, you throw it down and lay on it. It doesn’t need to be bomb proof.

midway comes with metal tabs to stake it, the stakes, it’s padded, and has bipod loops.

I always went for affordable but gets the job done.. a nice thick Yoga mat or a camping mat is amazing.. We live out in the desert where most terrain is rocky. The nice thick padded mat makes it easy to lay and shoot for a while.. Mine is pink but the hubby's is deep green.. They roll up nice and easy and are super light weight.. easy to attach to a ruck if you are hiking out to a hunting spot.. I think I paid like $10 for mine.. has been going strong for about 7 years now.. hubby got his about $15 at an army/navy store and has had his about the same amount of time maybe longer.. Rather spend my money on ammo to get in more range time than pay extra for something that does the same thing but costs much more..

Attachments

• 20150313_180608.jpg
    20150313_180608.jpg
    746.7 KB · Views: 84
Been using a Voodoo Tactical padded mat for a few years. Has held up well it just doesn’t pack down small if that’s a consideration.

Think I paid $40 or so for an "NC Star style" mat/bag off eBay and didn't expect much from it, but it's surprised me so far. Pockets, compartments that are pretty useful, backpack straps that do the job for short walks (use carabiners attachments to remove them so they're not under you while prone), and some molle to add straps to the leading edge for loading the bipod.

If you get a lighter color fabric, you can write your formulas on it with sharpie. And yes, they get pretty dirty. No sense getting gucci with something that spends that much time getting beat up. My two cents.

After much research, the Crosstac Reecon Shooting Mat fit my needs best.

I have attached an Excel matrix of "rolled" shooting mats that I created to aid in my decision. Note the cost for each is rounded with the options I was considering so yours may be different. Hope this helps.

Edit: I added a PDF attachment of the Zipped Excel file for convenience.

Re-Edit: Removed files from this post and revised the files to include the origin of manufacture. The new files are located "here".

Last edited:
Reactions: littlepod
Savior Equipment Tactical

I have used this shooting mat since this summer and love it. Really wide, great padding. I like it a lot more than Midway mat.

Interesting find... I was reading through this thread and I didn't think many things warranted more than the Midway mat, but your linked mat has a nice setup.

Reactions: xtacleone
Interesting find... I was reading through this thread and I didn't think many things warranted more than the Midway mat, but your linked mat has a nice setup.

I agree, everyone is about the Midway mat, but I feel the Savior Equipment is way better. I have used both. Wider shooting mat is my preference, which the Savior has, wider mat helps me to keep brass clean and elbows dry and comfy. Also, I use the grey mat, helps my brass stand out and keeps all my black gear from blending in. The bottom is also really rugged.

I have attached an Excel matrix of "rolled" shooting mats that I created to aid in my decision. Note the cost for each is rounded with the options I was considering so yours may be different. Hope this helps.

Excellent review - thanks.

Reactions: DustBun

Great quick reference.

A column for origin of manufacturer would be nice for geeks like me that want to know that stuff.

Reactions: DustBun
Great quick reference.

A column for origin of manufacturer would be nice for geeks like me that want to know that stuff.
I understand, I'm just as "geeky". As I went through them, many didn't specify the origin and I would have had to make assumptions which I don't like to do. For instance, the TAB Gear mat doesn't state that it is made in the USA but on their About Us page it states that everything they make is. There are some like Eberlestock which I believe are made in the USA but they don't specify.

I have updated the information to include that column and will re-post. Thank you.

Updated Excel matrix of "rolled" shooting mats and PDF to include the origin of manufacture.

Attachments

• Shooting Mat Rev B.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 124
  • Shooting Mat Rev B.pdf
    203.5 KB · Views: 187
Reactions: T.Kay
Homemade role up knitted, custom made locally, I’ll see if I can upload pics.

I understand, I'm just as "geeky". As I went through them, many didn't specify the origin and I would have had to make assumptions which I don't like to do. For instance, the TAB Gear mat doesn't state that it is made in the USA but on their About Us page it states that everything they make is. There are some like Eberlestock which I believe are made in the USA but they don't specify.

I have updated the information to include that column and will re-post. Thank you.
That’d be great. Looking forward to reviewing the update as well.

TAB Id assume made in house.

Eberlestock based on the made in Vietnam sticker on my GSII Id assume made in Vietnam.

Crosstac is made in the USA as far as I know.

If made in the USA they generally like to include that in the spec.

If its oddly absent and hard to determine id guess overseas.

Thank you.

I find it interesting to own a $3500 dollar scope and try cheap out on china made mat and bag.

Buy quality US made gear. Its worth it.

Triad Tactical and TAB are both good brands I own and will buy again.

+1 on the Midway special - they're usually on sale at any given point, and I've had mine for nearly 10 years. I don't take it to task every weekend or anything, but it's been more than good enough for me.

+1 on the Midway special - they're usually on sale at any given point, and I've had mine for nearly 10 years. I don't take it to task every weekend or anything, but it's been more than good enough for me.
I’m not gonna put the rifle in it. You guys have given good advice to not to because of dirt. Much appreciated.

I have the MW Pro Mat, NC Star rifle carrier mat, and the Tab Gear mat.
For comfort=Pro Mat.
Convenience=NC
Pack, lite carry=TG.

Reactions: Studio3